Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopping a Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51FordCoupe, Jun 14, 2013.

1. 51FordCoupe

51FordCoupe
    from NOVA

Hey guys, what is the BALLPARK estimate for chopping a shoebox to (including repaint)? I'm assuming 15K +/- (?) if you consider fabrication labor, repaint, etc.

How do the windows and window gasket/trim get resized?

I also assume that the roof upholstery has to be redone/replaced as well.

2. (1) Yes plus or minus some
    (2) More money
    (3) Yes
    That's kind of like asking the paint store to mix/match the color of your Red Paint over the Phone.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It'll cost 15-20k if you have someone else do everything and repaint the car.

They are trimmed to fit. Yes, a new headliner would be in order.

4. 51FordCoupe

51FordCoupe
    from NOVA

Thanks guys.

Understand that its a WAY open question. And yeh, someone else would be doing the work (Joe Smith in Richmond VA) since I sit in this d@mned cubicle M-F.

Looks like the best way to have it done is buy someone's elses chopped car.

5. I agree, It really Stinks that our Dollar Bill is only worth about .20 cents.
    The Wizzard

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

15-20 seems a little high but $10,000 wouldn't be out of the realm. Would you just have the roof repainted or the entire car? Same color or new?

7. Tell you what, I'd jump all over it for $15,000.... was I too quick to answer that? ha,ha..
    I think $10,000 is plenty, this is not a difficult chop.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here on this subject, lots of info available. be sure to carefully to check out a chopped car For Sale. You should have someone that has done radical custom body work look at it for you too. yes, you definitely will save a lot of down time from beginning to end. possibly save some $ too. but, may not be exactly what you want. , before starting down this path find someone with a car like you are thinking about that will let you drive it. radical chops may look cool but, can be a challenge to drive.

9. 4rod

4rod

10K is bout right, however, remember its gonna sit in a garage for awhile...you'd have better luck gathering some hamb friendly guys to help you out in your own garage...only cost you a couple cases of beer...then tackle the paint later

10. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Chop is about 1k per inch.
    Paint, car in avg condition, 5k ish
    glass, rubber, modified trim etc, 15k is about right for the whole deal.

11. geemann51

geemann51

..and if that's your car in your avatar, make sure you use someone who understands how to chop a coupe...

12. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

didn't even notice your avatar...so ya, I second that, ask questions and ask for pictures..also make sure and look at some chopped coupes...they are not everyones cup of tea

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Rod and Custom is doing an article about this subject this month.

14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like it as is if that is it in the avatar.

15. if done properly you can just repaint the roof.....
    If the chop is not more than 4" a new stock headliner can be used , probably ruin the old one removing it....
    the main problem I see here is taking a finished car and taking it all apart to do what should have been done early in the cars build....that is where the most of your money will be spent,correcting the backwards order of things.....

16. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Was thinking 10k was in the ballpark....but depending on area too it's done.

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Choprods is your man. Haul that shoebox to Missouri and let him handle it.

Good luck, -Abone.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

But hey, starting with a finished car could/would be "traditional".;) Barris, Ayala, etc. took the torch to plenty of nearly new cars in the 50's.
    Nowadays, some guys (John D'Augustino) start with fully restored cars as a starting point for Customs.

20. This is the second time Ive see this, ad I dont get where this comes from. So, a quality chop of 1inch is only a grand, but a 4 inch chop is 4K. What shop actually does it this way??????

21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Paint can be 10k, chop 3-5k, then glass and trim/ the headliner.. Its to open ended of a question. Lay out your expectations for the finished product to get a better answer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. This is a mystery to me as well..........
    I would assume its part of their:rolleyes: pyramid scheme pricing schedule and run like hell.
    Lots of folks here have done a lot of shoebox chops and for the most part the pricing "by the inch" would make no difference in the price.
    Does not make any at my shop......
    I even do the 4 doors for the same price as 2drs.:eek::cool:
    But then we all know I'm crazy like that......