Register now to get rid of these ads!

New friends showing up...out of nowhere!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace5n85, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I've only owned my Model A for a few months now, but it seems like everyone knows about it. I do live in a fairly small town (pop. < 6000) so word tend to travel fast, but new "car guys" seem to be finding my house on a rural road weekly. Not that I mind, but it seems odd, they always "heard this thing was here". They've all been nice dudes, and seem to not be connected to one another directly. Heck, a guy even got my cell number somehow and called me, literally, 45 mins after it was off the trailer. Any of you guys have a guy that you've never met show up once or twice a week at the garage?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, and with all the car thefts going on I don't want anyone I don't know snooping around. :eek: This isn't 1950 any more. You hate to be rude, but...........

Don

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Exactly! I've had guys stop at my driveway and before they can get out of their car, I'm at their door asking if I can help them out. And I mean "on the way OUT".

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dead on, Don. I have a young guy (pinstriper) that drops by semi-regularly, sometimes brings friends with him...I've had to ask that he not bring 'dudes' over, gets too much like 'taking inventory'!

5. I'm with Don I do not want strangers coming through my shop. Criminals are everywhere today.

6. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

None of them have actually come in the garage. Just seemed to be "car guys" that were curious about a new car in town. And no ones ever stopped when the garage doors aren't open (I have a very nosey neighbor that tells me every car that enters my driveway, seemingly, no matter for the time of day, or night). But, like you guys, it makes me wonder. How do you tell the suspicious ones to keep movin' without being a d*ck?

7. jtk910

jtk910

I got the same problem, it wasn't bad when it was old timers checking out something they use to drive but then my dad brought me a 78 Monte carlo to fix up for him and now its non stop thug wanna bees with pants hanging below their ass.

8. I run 'em the fuck off. Always good to be anti social when you have no idea who is showing up interested in something that you have.

But on a side note I purchased an older motorcycle this year. Picked it up on a Saturday night in podunk Kansas, hauled it home and unloaded it. Sunday called a friend in NorCal to tell him and he told me about it, all the way down to the paint job. Freeeeeky

9. Its a small town thing, but i get what the last few posts are saying. Ive had a lot of locals calling round to check my rod out lately. I also get lots of locals coming up to me while im out and about, all friendly and asking questions. If i was in a large town, i wouldnt be so open to this.

10. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i aint got shit worth stealing, so come on over!

11. raidmagic

raidmagic

I have my yard fenced in and from time to time I'll hear someone yelling from the fence. I'll go out and talk to them but never invite them back into the shop.

12. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I'm usually a "the more the merrier" type. most guys don't bother me. If the stop and dont mind a 29 year old working on his car with a S&W tucked in his waistband, they can stay. Guess i should start asking how they knew it was there.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I usually let them notice my cameras, my nosey neighbor, who's retired and watches from across the street and the NRA sticker I just put on the bumper of my rainy day car. But if I had to, I'd be the crazy SOB they tell their friends about. Police arrival time in my neighborhood is about 30 minutes. That's 25 minutes too long.

My street is a quiet street, for the most part. We all look out for each other and watch strange cars and people. Strangers get the stink eye.

14. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I guess I dont wanna miss out on a Hot Rod buddy if I can make one. I'm the only one I know thats not still dickin with foxbodys, muscle cars and s-10s, so a few good friends w some know-how would be awesome. They just dont do me any good if my car disappears!

15. 62nova

62nova

Maybe I'm naive or where I live but people frequently stop by and say Hi and never give me any problems.

16. Spork!

Spork!

I live on a dirt road. A private dirt road with big signs that say keep out. It's a dead end too.

Hell, even my friends don't stop by!:eek::D

17. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

^^^This. But for some reason I've been worrying.

Friends? What are those?

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I envy you, but Taylors got a population of about 17,000? I'd probably relax too. You probably know how big Houston is, so being on guard is normal behavior. I'd love to live in a small town, but until that happens, I have to be careful.

19. Its not only the ones that call in but the guys they talk to or overhear about what you have that will sting you. I live in a small rural town and about ten people know i have two Willys and a T rpu. If anyone came hear they would be shown the gate. JW.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know that being as careful as some of us are sometimes comes across as rude or not neighborly, but these are goofy times we live in today. I like people and I love being sociable, but the sad fact is there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to steal someone elses hard earned possessions.

You hate to be that way, but you just have to come right out and explain that you prefer to keep your stuff secure and if that makes someone upset, so be it.

Don

21. I live in Seattle. It's a pretty big city. I live on a main road in not the best part of town. but certainly not the worst. There are old cars all around and people are always stopping by. I've always been worried, But have made a point to be really friendly and watchful with the neighbors and made it pretty well known that I am always home, close by, and packing to anyone suspicious. I caught one guy prawling, Snuck up on him in the dark and was about 2 ft away before I let my presence known. I don't think he'll be back. Regardless, things are starting to slip down hill. I'm thinking about a large billboard in the front yard that says "COUNTRY LAW"

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I used to live in a small town of about 1,600. Most of us car guys knew each other. I did have a few "friends of friends" that would show up and make me rather uncomfortable, as I knew their history. I kept everything out of sight as much as I could and under lock and key. When I moved, I didn't bother telling too many people. Maybe I am just paranoid, but this day and age you cannot be too careful.

23. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Get a price.... Ill go in on one with you! Haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. 62nova

62nova

I guess I want to give people the benifit of the doubt, kind of what T. Roosevelt says. Speak softly and carry a big stick. Hence the pit bull and machete sitting in the corner.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Or you can just be very subtle about it............:D

[​IMG]

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Geez Don, that's not why I asked you to have lunch at Skip One two winters ago.

27. I guess im lucky, and live in a small New Zealand town with a population of around 8000 people, and more cool rides per head than a lot of other towns. Im well known as a hard ass when i need to be.

28. ssimpala

ssimpala

Well, so much for my plan to drop in on my friend Don later this summer when the fish start biting. :)

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm a recluse, what can I say. :eek::eek:

Don

30. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Maybe we can get Ryan to include a "HAMB MEMBERS ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT" sign w the Alliance Membership.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!