Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 edsel barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barnsearcher, Jun 11, 2013.

1. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

I picked up this 60 4 dr hardtop last weekend. 292 and a 2 speed automatic. The family that owned it shuffled it from barn to barn for the past almost 30 years. The dad died and the family thought it was time to go. He started to "restore" it before it got parked. All the missing trim is in the car. He had the back seat in his attic of the house. It looks great! Too bad the front seat wasnt stored there too! It has the typical 1960 Edsel 1/4 panel and wheel house rot. They said it last ran and moved in the mid 90's.

[​IMG]

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

And how many '60 Edsels did they build?

3. That looks pretty good, lets see some more pics.

4. George

George

Looks like he won't have any problems opening up the rear fender opening for the NASCAR look!

5. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

From what I see 135 4 dr hardtops. I have a 4 dr sedan also....about 1288 I think on the sedans. Only a 2 month run for everything 1960.... Wagons, convertibles, 2 dr's and 4 dr's the whole bunch.

6. I dig it! Anything offbeat or Edsel and I'm in... More pics?

7. 1960 hardtop 4dr production - 104 - makes it kinda rare...1959 was about 1700....still on the rare side...

8. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I know I am crazy (especially to say on the hamb) but this car should be kept STOCK. one can modify a ford or a mercury...

9. Squablow

Squablow

Huge thumbs up if you can manage to save this car. I've always liked 60's and it'd be real pretty with the hardtop roofline.

Is it restorable? How does the frame look? Tell us about your plans for it.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Good start to a unique and interesting build.

11. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

the hell with restoringit, Sure its rare, but just cause its rare dosent automatically make it Valuble... would make a cool mild custom. All it is is a 60 Ford with some different trim anyways....

12. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

I will try to get some more pics soon. Not real computer savy when it comes to that. Plans will probably lean toward the red with a white flake top. wheels??? probably the stock steel wheels maybe a wide white and edsel spinner hub caps (already have them)??? Im a big fan of driving the cars so late model EFI and OD trans if the combo in it needs much work.

13. rld14

rld14

Wow! Talk about rare! Very nice find, can't wait to see the build thread on this.

14. Wow, looks like their last ditch effort to make it more "normal" looking before the brand was killed off, never ever seen one before- actual size too!! -H.R.D-

What year was the last Edsel ??

15. rld14

rld14

1960 was the last year for Edsels, they were built from September-November 1959 at the Louisville plant. A bit under 3,000 were made in total and they shared their bodies with Fords. The 2 door Hardtops are basically Edsel Starliners.

Ford should have persevered IMO, the 60 was a very attractive car.

16. Cool car and very unusual and rare, keep it stock and don't mess with it.

17. they dont been them like they used to .... love all that trim on the car ....

18. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Saw a 1960 Edsel Ranger sat evening at a small car show. It was Black with Red interior. Bought new by the mans mother. 1 Repaint, Sets recovered only. She quit driving it and put it in a garage for a few years. Still had the original window sticker in the window. 4 door and looked new.

19. they are just hard to come across any vintage metal .... =/

20. williebill

williebill

Saw one at pullapart last year,most of the cool trim already gone.. engine in pieces..
    Went back to cut the rear fins and light pods off for a future project,but the rust was too bad..
    Cool car you got there..

21. The Edsel Man

The Edsel Man

If you're not planning on restoring it I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. The 60 Ranger 4 door hardtop is a unique to the Edsel for 1960. There is no other Ford counterpart to it. 60 Ford 4 door hardtops utilized a square room with a flat back window.

Would you post the full VIN info from inside the drivers door? One of my Edsel friends has a very concise database of Edsel VIN from all three years and I'd love to pass the info on to him.

22. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Best looking Edsel ever made!

23. Good lookin' barn, Edsel, not so much, but rare! Good luck.

24. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That's a great find! Best to you and yours!

25. slammed

slammed

Restore the majority of the car, lower it for sure. Add a few chrome pieces and cruise it!

26. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

Edsel Man....Yes, I can get it for you. Would this guy be from Indiana? I was away for the weekend and got a possible lead on a 60 wagon in southern Ohio. I'm checking on this one. Did you know there is a 60 6 passsenger wagon in the salvage yard in Minnesota (at French Lake Auto)? I passed on it... floors totally gone! They list it as a parts car

27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Edsel Man,

if that car interests you, i know where there is a real 60 9 Pass wagon sitting...

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm not seeing the picture, :confused:

Has it been washed yet?

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Sweet score looks like you have your work set for you

30. Hot Rod Trash

Hot Rod Trash

Dig them edsels. Beauty of a car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!