Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>> Friday Art Show 06/14/2013 <<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC., Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryC.

GaryC.

This art was done as a gift to a young man
    who's had some bad luck come his way recently.
    He built this car himself. He's only seventeen.
    Well done!

Attached Files:

2. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there ........

[​IMG]

3. Frogz

Frogz

Cool start guys !

[​IMG]

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats awesome

5. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

[​IMG]

Last week Vonzemo posted a great drawing of the Atomic Punk. Here's my scratchboard version done for an upcoming show. And here's how I did it:

[​IMG]

First I do a graphite transfer of a basic drawing without the details. I usually start with the "people" as there's nothing worse than doing a great car rendering and then messing up on the people part. Although in this case a slight screw up wouldn't be that obvious. HAHAHA. Very Salvadore Dali

[​IMG]

Once I scratch some basic outlines then I go in and start adding detail. I'm looking at a source image while I do it. In this case my own photograph from the GNRS. I usually tweak the perspective and make the engine and wheels bigger than normal to give cars their own attitude. This one doesn't need much attitude adjustment but I always want to give some anyway. I wear archival gloves to keep the board oil free. I can be a very oily person when I don't want to be.

[​IMG]

I added some detail in the back - sort of a combination of influences with a 59 Plymouth Fury and Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit. I always sneak in my own build somewhere in all my pieces- a 1964 Kellison which is shaped like a '58 Ferrari. I figured this would be a good place to hide it.

[​IMG]

I like adding a scratchy light effect which gives my work it's own look. Basically a lot of wiggly scratch lines until the area is covered with scratchyness. For all my work I use a single blade - a #16 Xacto. There are some various shaped tools for scratchboard but I use only one blade - although I go through 7 or 8 to complete a 12x16 piece like this. This one didn't take a long time to scratch - maybe 4 hours starting and stopping late at night. When I'm finished I spray a Krylon matte finish coating over it which hides the smudges and guide lines.

Thank you for your undivided attention. Now you know how it's done.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. Bo, you're making me want to do a scratchboard!!! This piece is the créme de la créme,
    just amazing!

Bob, I really dig it!

Frogz, that's cool!

Gary, that is cool, way to kick it off!

Was hoping to take this to another level but it will have to wait. The girl kinda reminded me of someone while I was drawing it but I can't pit a finger on it...

Funny story, I drew the car while on a business conference call and the girl the next night at my son's baseball game, between innings (6) ... His team won and the meeting went great!

[​IMG]

7. First off- Kongrats 30 FordNerd on last week's maiden post! - Hopefully the first of many. Cool work, grouse cover.. every 15 year old should have their own duece rails..

New Prints available;[​IMG]

I packed the car full 'o' gear for my first ever indoor booth show last weekend- 'RodStock & Custom 2013', (Bendigo Vic.). A 1000 mile round trip- little sleep 2 days before driving over, start journey at 1 a.m. 4 powernaps, coffee, 10 hours- I love HWY 8 by night!
    Sold plenty of on-site work- prints were slower. Between 5 and 8 on Saturday I did this painting for the show Charity Raffle (hosted at 8:30..). Spirited bidding was a hoot;[​IMG]

Good to meet the Vics. [​IMG]

- 'Hokey Ass' Vendor.

[​IMG]
    p.s; I'll show prints later. Still some available.

8. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

great show already, folks! great to see you sharing your ways, Bo! love the proportions, frogz. very nice painting, Spoggie, great composition and good job on differnecing (is that a real word? sorry) the style of each car.

some sketches, i have lots of unneeded pages repurposed like this, with countless little cars.
    [​IMG]

only yesterday i got back from where we had our summer practice, luckily i did manage to find a few old cars to draw.

[​IMG]
    a dodge (?) at a swapmeet

[​IMG]
    a GAZ 53 driver

[​IMG]
    a truck that i dont know the history of, but looks like a GAZ 51 with a seemingly homemade front end. this drawing is a wip, and its pretty big in size, so i hope i'll be posting it next week, shaded and detailed.

alright, need to finish stuffing my backpack, and off i go to the Old Iron weekender in Estonia! hoping for good weather, as im taking all of my drawing stuff with me :)

9. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Bomonster.....incredible work

10. Britt8M

Britt8M

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's awesome! I really like your work. I vaguely remember doing scratchboards in art class, but that was a very long time ago!!!

[​IMG]

12. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Well...hangin around my friend Glen Weisgerber and being amazed by Ed Tillrock and Kenny Youngblood I decided to give it a shot. Found a cool pic and went for it. I now have a new obsession. Any tips or helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

13. Mr.B.

Mr.B.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing your process!

-Kirk

14. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Another great show developing here!
    Bob, killer piece!
    Frogz, love the piggy truck!
    Jigger, great composition - what's she thinking?
    Good material by everyone!
    Here's a few older oils that were done awhile ago.....

Attached Files:

15. ...looks like you don't need any tips!, very well done.

16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

57 corvette Bob, great work as usual. I wonder is that little guy washing his dads car with a hotdog bun? I can see that happening!!

Happy Fathers Day to all.

17. Thats a major cool piece Bo.
    Its always a trip to see how you create these.
    You are the true Master of Scratch !

18. Fool Injection

Fool Injection

19. 55Belairman

55Belairman

First of all, Bomonster, thank you for showing us how the scrathboards are done. I also did something like this in art class way back when. Here is my first submission to the FAS. This was an idea I had for a mailbox at the house I am remodeling and plan to move in to. I sprayed on the scallops and had a guy named Cisco from Toledo paint on the numbers and the stripes.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Oh, yea... Happy father's day everyone! That's worth a repost...

Thanks Wild Willy! Yours look great as well and, who knows what she is really thinking....

Congrats Spoggie, great work, look forward to more!

Nice drawing Custom Lettering!

N.Ozols, Britt, stellar stuff guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. MartinsMaia

MartinsMaia

22. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

Little vector action for a club shirt.

[​IMG]

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hidden, good to see you are still alive. When you comin back down the mountain? I need another koozie!

24. Absolutely stellar start everyone!

I am working on this tonight, George Zaft's roadster circa 1951. I was notified today that George had passed away at the end of March after a short illness. I had been emailing George for the past eight years. It was always a joy hearing about is rodding exploits.

R.I.P. my friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. LEADFOOT78

LEADFOOT78
    from joliet

just some sketches with markers and colored pencils...have a good weekend everyone...keep drawingdrawingdrawing

Attached Files:

26. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

Ya I'm still alive and kickin'. Been doing a lot of work, just not all HAMB friendly. LOL

But, we'll be back down for GoodGuys in October. Really looking forward to it.

27. JohnnyAngel

JohnnyAngel
    from Missouri

Couple of customized '55 T-Birds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Very Nice work everybody

Attached Files:

29. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Hey guys and gals.. Havent posted much lately. Heres what I started and havent finished yet..

Attached Files:

30. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Latest "Sparky" Shift Knob

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      144.9 KB
      Views:
Thread Status: