Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words Steve, Its appreciated.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so decided to make a progressive linkage, Some of the bits that came with the carbs was Lokar but I was missing the main link rod between the 2 carbs, A quick search around the net gave me a picture so I found some round aluminium bar so drilled and tapped it to make it adjustable lengthwise, a small rose joint on the end and it all looked fine, the other end I machined up a bit of stainless to make a slotted end to make it progressive, my new milling machine has come on handy once again, how did I ever get by before I had it A quick polish and thats another pesky job ticked off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. very nice! Are you going to use the chokes on the carbs? if not I would remove the choke plates and all the linkage to clean things up a bit, maybe ditch the Edelbrock and Made In USA stickers, then they look like they belong.

4. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, looking great as usual, love the attention to details! I may never get past the bodywork stage on mine.... lol

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

WTF? Why would anyone in their right mind ever do that? :mad:

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Maybe, I will see once its all fitted, the stickers don't bother me too much.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if the Edelbrocks really are made in the usa ??? I was told they were made by Weber

8. The eddys are made in the U.S. according to the website:

"Every Edelbrock carburetor is manufactured by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA Inc. and has been specifically designed and tuned by Edelbrock engineers to provide the widest overall torque range."

Weber is a division of Magnetti Marrelli, Weber bought the AFB design from carter and changed it a bit, then licensed Edelbrock to sell them.

Just personal taste, but the Edelbrock and Made in USA stickers take away from the mechanical simplicity look of the AFB.

9. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I wish my " to do list " was getting smaller, every time I cross 1 off I find 3 more.

10. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Langy fantastic work as usual. I have a question on your linkage. Are you using the rear carb as the primary carb and the front as secondary or am I not seeing it right? Usually it's just the opposite.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

That happens to me sometime Chris :D

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well whilst waiting for my heads to arrive I decided to make front & rear anti roll bars for the car, they are made from Chromemoly tube, 1" at the front & 3/4" at the rear, I'm using some Energy Suspension chassis mounts and an adjustable link each end comprising of 3/8" rose joints and some turned down stainless hexagon bar.

The dual blades each end get boxed off to stop any twisting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Everything about this car is so stunningly nice... I give up... am selling my junk and buying a Toyota. You have talent and it shows.

14. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Beautiful... just fantastic looking car. I think you actually picked the right color going with old race car grey.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, glad you like it too.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Finished the blades last night.

[​IMG]

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

So did you have a way of determining shaft size and arm length? or are you just taking a wag at it and rebuild latter if neccisary? I have thought about doing the same on one of my cars and just wonder if i could save some time with some calculations or just go for it and and redo if needed.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Calculated it mate, there is a chart on the Hotchkis site somewere, I reckon a 1" OD will do for me just about right.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Your fabrication skills continue to amaze me, just awesome!

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its only fabrication Eric, anybody can do it, you need to have a vivid imagination though :D
    Your build is looking great, must paint time soon ?

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve. Body shop next month!! Can't wait.

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its gonna look cooler than penguin piss :D

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That sway bar is so cool!

What is the Wall thickness? Or ID compared to OD?
    How thick and long is the bars/plate at the end?
    Could it be done with normal miled steel pipe, in a different size/wall thickness?

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its 1" OD Chromemoly tube, its either 0.83" or 0.95" I will have to check as can't remember, 36" long
    Blades are 5" centres and are 1/8" BMS although I may remake them as I now have some Chromemoly plate
    Normal steel tube is no good as it don't have any memory.

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay

Can you please send a link to that chart, so I can find out what size of pipe I need for my Volvo projekt.
    I cant find it, but I don't exately what I'm looking for, and it might be the wrong page I went too.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well it appears the bad luck fairy has struck :(
    Got a message saying my heads were gonna be ready next week so got the machined block out of storage and thought I would put the short motor together :) , I had previously done all the machine work including hot tanking the block, crack testing, drilling out the oilways, drilling larger oil returns, over boring, doweling the main caps etc etc, basically a shitload of work

It had been stored in my lockup in a sealed bag to keep it clean, Jason came round to help me get it on the engine stand, we rolled it over and Jason said "whats that line for ?" I looked and it wasn't a line but a hairline crack about 1" up from the pan rail, its so fine its extremely difficult to see but it makes the block scrap :eek:

Had a cup of tea and decided to go get the spare block from the lockup and strip it out and take it to be hot tanked before starting the maching all over again. Jason kindly helped me strip it and get back into the car so I could take it in the morning. We checked for cracks and found nothing :)

You ain't gonna believe this :eek: , Got to the engine shop and asked it to be hot tanked first, Peter the owner looks inside and says "this one is ok"
    About an hour later Peter rang me to say he had checked the progress of the block in the tank and now it looked like it also had a crack in the same place
    I drove back and sure enough it had a hairline crack bugger !!!

Luckily my mate Shaun (rockit) has a spare 500 block and is gonna lend it to me and I can replace as soon as I locate a good one, I just need to get from Preston to Watford :(

Its baffled me how these cracks could appear even after checking, 3 different people have looked at this block and nobody noticed it anybody got any ideas ???

28. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

I have ran in to the same issue. Nearly every 500 I have got out of an Eldorado has that pesky line. Our local Caddy collector won't sell a 500 if it was ever bolted up to a front wheel drive transmission. Something about the frame flex on the early torsion bar suspension. We all have our fingers crossed that you find a good one.

29. What a bummer, Langy! Hope you get things sorted soon ....

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Tank, thats very interesting