Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wtf is- was this thing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Yep. Could come up fine . 40's Packard grille. Arsonists- find a 350/350 forum.

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thank you!

3. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It looks like someone's recent rat project to me. The frame looks like something late model. The only thing vintage about it is some parts that are being wasted.

4. randy

randy

It's a Douchenberg Choadster.

5. Frame looks like '46-'48 Ford passenger car to me , I see a lot of early ford stuff in it . Not my ideal build but I don't see anything being wasted , even the body could be saved .
    Lop the screen back off it and take out the extra width that has been added and you have all the "bones" for a proper hotrod .

6. I'd reserve judgement until I saw it with the nose on. I see no recent parts in it, which means it may be one of those 50s era sportscar builds.

7. Rem

Rem

I dunno, doesn't look Model A to me? Certainly didn't start life as a roadster.

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I think it has the start of a decent Custom Rod, just needs a bit of trimming and fine tuning here and there. Ditch the wires, trim the top of the windscreen.... Just takes a bit of good old imagination and a chunk of talent.

Scotty

9. That's gold!! :D

10. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

It looks like what the A Team built to get them out of a jamb!

11. it is proof that not everything traditional was perfect.
    it looks like it has a cowl vent. i don't think it is a model A body.
    clean that thing up, some paint and a little "detailing" and it could be a pretty cool vintage hot rod.

12. Stevie Wonder Special!-MIKE:D:p

13. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

that's the word I was waiting to hear-----

14. RAY With

RAY With

Looks like a mess to me and I doubt rare any thing.

15. 97

If I buy it will you swap me for your Diamond T ? :D:D

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's pretty funny, you have no idea what it is but you want to contact him and tell him what he owns.

17. bgaro

bgaro

for the right money, it's a hell of a parts car.

18. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

its on a facebook for sale group , a bunch of dipshits for a better word are thinking its a real jewel and posting comments about how rare rare they think it is and i wanted to set him straight , yeah i was really gonna call the guy up and talk to him come on ! the guy was asking questions so i thought i'd help him out

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Because of your enthusiasm I decided to take a second look at the picture in detail.... Just because something might have been "built" back in the day, doesn't mean everybody was a craftsman back then..... There were also "HACKS" back in the day..... I might be wrong, maybe it's a bad angle.... But I would never beleive there were 20,000 built.... In fact I feel one was too many. Look closely.... it's a turd.

I would like to nominate this as an example for the "DON'T" board

20. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

the body is not 30/31 ford it is a later maybe mid-late 40's. it looks like it was a older build, all you guys saying that its nothing but a rat rod, would say different if there was a picture of this thing say from the early 50's all done up and sitting in some show some where. you guys would be changing your words. but because it has been left to die and has been kick to the curb. you guys think it nothing but some rat rod. i agree with 49ratfink, because he at least has a open mind.

21. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I think they are still in production,with many different body styles available

22. I think Stevie Wonder n Ronnie Milsap used to drive around in that thing!

23. It was,,and still is a abortion! :eek: HRP

24. That body is deffinetly not from the mid to late 40s ! you must be :confused:
    You have early 40s and late 40s - pre war and post war. Some wired military stuff staff cars follow the 41-42 tooling.
    It's early 30s body for sure but I don't think it's a ford, looks more Pontiac (GM ) than ford.
    The windshield section grafted on to it looks like it is very late 30s early 40s.

It's got deep channel, and a big sweep in the frame- over the heads sweep!!!.
    The nose is about as long as an aircraft carrier.

Have an open mind if you choose, but there's not been 12,000 of them built.
    And it's a rat rod, and will remain a rat rod until somebody fixes it and finishes it. Are you up for that?

25. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

According to what you named the picture, it's a Shitbox!

26. It's a '30- 31 Model A coupe body, cut down.

27. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I don't think the initial builders vision was of a rat rod. It looks like someone had some sort of vision that never came to fruition. A rat rodder would be glad to drive it in the shape it's in, but it's obviously not finished.
    I second the notion that if it would have been finished and popped up in some picture from a car show or a mag from the 50's that a lot of you would be singing it's praises.
    It's not cookie-cutter, and the porportions are a bit odd, but it's not nor was it ever meant to be a rat rod. It was never meant to be what you guys call traditional, even though it appears it could have been built in the "traditional" time period.

That super long front end instantly made me think of this car which was built in 54:
    [​IMG]

The builder got tired of the rat rod look, refined his tastes and went on to build this 3 years later:
    [​IMG]
    Not everybody "back in the day" was trying to build the same car...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to think he hit it pretty close. That was someone's home built attempt at having their own "sports car" in the late 40's or early 50's when a lot of similar cars were built around the country by guys who wanted but couldn't afford a Jag or an MG or even a fiberglass body to set on their frame. Read about any Mechanics Illustrated from that era and along with Tom McCahill having Andy Granatelli help him soup up his 50 Ford there was a photo of some guys home built sports car that was fabbed up out of junk yard parts.

29. Flat black, red wheels. DONE!