Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Do you watch the show on SPEED , =''PASS TIME'' ?

2. ryno

ryno

Car Coming along nicely Dave.
    Hamb drags this year?

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Not sure............looking to be more like next year ..would like to have the running engine in place this year and fired up in the chassis atleast....not really rushing this build like I have done in the past w/ others......need to build the headers and get the heads back to Tony at Ross Racing Engines.....I have not touched the project since I got it Certed....I did place it back up on the table.......Been catching up on some house work...for a change of pace.........and been thinking of the FED I want to bend up next....which is a bad thing..............Littleman Dave

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)ok just checking;):cool:

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have been working on the house ect.....just started to dabble w/ fabbing up the chute pack mount.......not sure how to make one....but have this made up and mocked up so far...its all chromoly w/ more work to go....I have the quarters semi mocked up and shaped that I had cut off a while back...Figured I would just move them inboard...still need to figure out how to mount and support them and then make a louvered decklid of some sorts, but really need to figure out the wheelie bar placement as well for that will dictate the lower turtle deck shape and needed clearence..........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Go man, go!

One question.

Are you going to leave those four round tubes open like that, or is there a cap yet to be applied, or is there some more chassis yet to be built?

If you plan to leave them open, just remember that open ended tubes crush a lot easier than capped tubes. Maybe that won't matter in this instance, I don't know, but it's something to think about.

I was just wondering what your plan there was.

7. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

This is gonna be good!!!;)

8. That rear shot is pretty sick in a menacing kind of way.

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

CoolHand.........I still need to machine some caps.....just waiting, you never know I may end up sliding a tube in the ends to be utilized for something else....if not they will get the caps...

Tonight... I shortened up the chute pack tube and milled the hole for the push button quick pin...The quick pin has an attached 12'' lanyard that I will attach torwards the top so it always stays together..........Littleman

10. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Gotcha.

I am the same way.

Don't like to close off my options until I'm damned good and sure I don't need them.

It's a wonderful build, please carry on. :D

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)So far out type car. A man and his own style hotrod, Good Stuff. The word ''Dreams'' can be used.:cool::D

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Amazing work. Keep it up dude. Look forward to your updates

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

A little more is done on the chute pack......The other day I realized I had screwed up.....The short receiving tube that I had welded to the chute pack frame work needed a few holes.....I told myself to overlook that detail and get over it...but after a couple of sleepless nights due to my disgust I did not put holes in this tube prior to welding it in place.....I figured out how to machine [4] 5/8'' holes in anyways .....looks better, I am happy w/ it now and in the end means absolutely nothing...ha ha......The things that keep me up can be down right silly....The chute pack should be finished soon.....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Make sure the chute is not mounted below the centerline of gravity of the car. When deployed it will take weight off the rear tires, slightly lifting the rear of the car. Ask Bob and Rusty Glidden, they had trouble with their Pro Stock Mustang in the 90's doing that. Your work is spectactular!

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

beautiful work!!!!

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I started to make the actual chute mount........this will be mounted straight off the rearend housing, a two piece mount, male /female , like I made the chute pack mount. But it will have a thru bolt and not the quick pin ball release like the chute pack mount to secure the male/female tubes, for they are not allowed w/ the actual chute mount per NHRA.............Still a little more work before I mock everything up....it will come straight out to clear the down sweeping decklid contour....I tried to bend the U shape out of 5/16'' moly but could bot control the bends being that thick and settled for .125'' thick moly...min. is .090'' per NHRA, I was going to weld [3] pieces of the 5/16'' together, but figured the bent .125'' in one piece might be stronger and less welds to fail........it don't look like much, but I have some time in that little part......Littleman

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I wish I had 1/10 of your skill. That's a beautiful piece Dave.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Tubing will fail before the .090 will

Attached Files:

19. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

''OUCH''....that is hard to look at ...but is a great learning tool for all...thanks for posting the pic !...Dave

20. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Dave, A "belated Happy Birthday for you". Hope that you had a great day to celebrate.

Dave

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Back to work on the chute mount parts, I machined a 3/4'' solid slug to tap into the inner chute tube, then I bored a 3/8'' thru hole. Then I milled some rosette holes into the tube the slug was going into...Inserted the slug and aligned the 3/8'' thru hole and welded the rosette holes up to keep the solid slug into place. Then machined outer ends on both sides to give the thru bolt washers a flat surface once tightened.......The inner solid slug is to maintain both tubes shape once the thru bolt is tightened so not to crush the tubes.....I also now have this welded in place , need to finish weld and next I will fab up some triagulated supports into the main chute mount tube for strength...........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Added some support struts to the chute mount I put in place earlier today, may add a 3rd one on the bottom, but that will wait until the rearend housing is removed when I finish weld what I have. Moving onto the headers next........Dave

[​IMG]

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Playin w/ the header tubes.....I have the front and rear cylinder header tubes tacked together and slipped into the flange holes.....I mocked up the center two cylinder header tubes two ways....One way they have all four tubes exiting thru the body evenly @ equal distance....Then I mocked up the center two header tubes together which matches the head port layout....So far I like them equally spaced...........It should look killer once the headers are finished and I place the car back onto the ground.........Littleman Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. studeboy

studeboy

I'm thinking you should rename the car. Instead of Half Evil how about Mid-Evil, because there's nothing half about this thing. I'll keep quiet and watch you work now. :D

Seriously though its coming along nice. Like the first exhaust setup best. Thanks for the update.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. llonning

llonning

I agree with you on the equally spaced tubes. Looks a lot better that way.

Len

26. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have the front and rear cylinders figured out along with the rough cut of the passenger side body slot cut out......Alway's measure twice, then twice more...then when you feel confident...measure once more.....Ha ha ..........The tubes are not yet tacked into the header flange.....need to figure out the solution to the center two cylinders...I plan on spacing them evenly......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Looks great Dave!

28. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Hmm! The question is "Is one chute enough?''[​IMG]

29. captmullette

captmullette

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

By the time you realise that one chute didnt open its too late for the other