Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valvoline VR1 10w30.....Synthetic???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Jun 12, 2013.

1. I've been lucky enough to have had a supply of the old VR1 10w30 that I've been running in my old pickup for a while now. Now that I've run out, I've come to discover that the new VR1 10w30 is now synthetic. Has anyone made that switch? Is the new stuff just as good as the old? I'm running a 302 2bbl motor from a '76 F100 in my old truck.

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what you discovered, but VR1 in comes both synthetic and conventional forms. A couple minutes at their web site will be helpful. :)

3. Having a hard time finding the conventional in my city. I have a feeling that Valvoline is going to axe the VR1 10w30 conventional. I sold parts at one of the three large chains for a long while. When supply suddenly dries up at the distribution centers, they usually stop making it not long after.

Grab what you see on the shelves now because I truly believe this might be it for the VR1 10w30 conventional.

All I'm finding on the shelves here is the VR1 10w30 synthetic. I don't want to run VR1 20w50 conventional in my old truck because it gets really cold in the winters here. The motor doesn't knock, and I don't want it to start.

I've been under the conventional thought that synthetic isn't good for an old, none rebuilt motor. I've heard for years that synthetic oils make old seals weaker. Any truth to this?

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why wouldn't you want to run VR-1 10W-30 synthetic? The military and major airlines have been using synthetic oil in their engines for over sixty years. I have also been using VR-1 synthetic for years with no adverse effects.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

First I have ever heard of that.... Airlines have a different oil.

Not a big Valvoline fan here...They have had a lot of problems. Before we all go on a whos oil is better. It really doesn't matter.

There are some great super lubes out there.....Most are only available through better engine builders.

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i use vr-1 20/50 racing oil . not synthetic . i use it for the zddp !

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

mustang6147 what haven't you heard of? Airlines using different oil? Typical BS post from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. I never said they use VR-1. They do however use synthetic oil. I am retired from a major airline and the Federal Aviation Administration as an Air Carrier Aviation Safety Inspector. I am also an FAA certificated Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic. What aviation credentials do you have? Obviously you have none.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  8. I guess sometimes I have to repeat myself. :D

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Waaaaa!!! .... Don't make this into another who's oil is better....

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

That sounds cool.
    How'd you manage to do that?

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

unkledaddy, I used the skills I learned as a U.S. Air Force Aircraft Mechanic and Crew Chief to make a career in aviation.
    At least I'm qualified to speak of synthetic engine oil thats used by the military and commercial aviation.

Not like others posting on this thread about aviation with no knowledge what so ever of the aviation industry.

12. shadams

shadams

I'm running the 20-50 synthetic. For all of about 4 hrs of run time its done great!! Ha..but yea I didnt see anything but syn when I needed a quart at Napa after I double gasketed the oil filter after changing out the break in lube...that shit is thick and sticky...

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I meant how'd you retire from a major airline and the FAA?

14. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I work for Oreillys we have the 10-30 on the shelf.

15. k9racer

k9racer

Funny how you car recall things after close to 50 years. Mil air craft jet engine oil was part number MIL 7808. we were told if tried it in a auto engine it would destroy the seals.. It smells like fish. more than likely made from fish products. locals in V N stole some and used it for cooking.. over the next few days lots of dead and sick locals.. New shipment had warning labels on boxes.. afsc 43270..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

unkledaddy, the major airline was not doing well. I stayed until I had twenty years vested in the retirement program and left. I then went to work for the FAA. Eventually the airline went out of business. The U.S. Government has a great retirement program and medical benefits. Best move I ever made.

17. Check your distribution centers. Here in the Panhandle, the distribution centers have run dry. What you have on the shelves is it.

18. I like synthetic oil over conventional oil, all my OT cars use it and now my oil changes are 5K miles instead of 3K. If you can find one that meets all your requirements, use it.

Bob

19. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm using the same stuff in my sedan. The motor has about 20k miles on it and since I switched there are no leaks. I had the same concerns you do, buzzard.

20. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Not an oil expert, but I've switched every thing I own to synthetic. They start much better in cold weather, no problems with seals leaking. Of course, nothing leaked before I switched, no problems since. In my SBC in my truck, I'm using amsoil zrod, 10w-30. It's a high zinc formula, not meant for cat equipped cars. It's supposed to have some anti rust additives for cars that aren't daily drivers also. Who knows? I notice less noise on startup, probably because it's thinner when it's cold. Mobil one is for everything else, mostly because you can get it every where.