Register now to get rid of these ads!

My car got wrecked.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasalley, Jun 12, 2013.

1. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Well, I was driving over to Henderson Texas last week to a local rod run with my father behind me in his 46' Chevy truck. My car will only run about 55 mph (stock drive train). There was an idiot behind my dad in a POS caddy that decided that it would be smart to pass us both on the right side in the pull off lane. When he passes me he damn near takes the front of my car off so i pull to the left to get out of his way. When i come back over i did not realize my father was coming up beside me on the right and I...... got into his truck. The guy in the caddy never stopped, and we sat on the side of the road with two mashed hot rods. It's my fault, i should have seen my dad come up beside me, but i was trying to pay attention to the idiot that passed us. This all happened in about 30 seconds. Anyways, here is the damage which isn't too bad........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem i have is the car is 59 years old, and never been in a wreck...... until now. At least we are ok, and we live to go to more rod runs.....

M-

2. That sucks. How does your dad's truck look?
    I guess that's what insurance is for.

3. That really sucks but the important thing is that you guys are OK. You'll never find idiots showing on the endangered species list.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bummer, but it could have been worse and you and your dad are okay.

5. alchemy

alchemy

So, an "idiot" passes you on the right, and then your Dad does it too? Does that make your Dad an idiot also?

6. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I hate idiots that do that shit. I always hope they'll hit something on the shoulder and blow a tire. I can't even count how many times I've almost been clipped by some jackass trying to pull that.
    Sucks that you and your pops are the ones that wrecked because of someone else's moronic driving.

7. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Here's a pic of my dad's truck-

[​IMG]

It did not get hurt at all. The only damage was some scratches on the tire. The top dent you see on my car is from the door handle on my dad's truck.......

M-

8. aw man sry to hear that ..

hope that you have great insurance to take care of that claim ....

9. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

No, it does not. The road was going from two lane to four lane. Th caddy idiot just couldn't wait..........

M-

10. alchemy, was that called for.??? maybe when he pulled to the left to get out of the caddy's way, he came back to the slow lane and his dad was there.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think first.. now who is the IDIOT..

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He got passed on the shoulder. Moved to the left lane to avoid getting hit. Then, moved back into the right lane, but didn't see his dad had occupied the spot.

His dads not an idiot. It was an accident.

12. Spork!

Spork!

His dad is probably saying, "My idiot son ran into my truck"! :eek::D (just joking here).

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It doesn't look too bad, it's still a shame, it's a real beauty.

14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Glad you both are OK, that could've been a lot worse.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

On the bright side, that is one badass Chevy! F it...

(that means Fix it ;))

16. alchemy

alchemy

Hey man, I was just asking questions.

17. That's a shitty situation to say the least. My first reaction was the 55 mph thing. Not that it should have made a difference but slower speeds and not going with the flow can create problems sometimes. I'm sure everyone here can relate to it when your behind a slower car and want to pass.
    It still shouldn't have happened thou if the guy was paying attention.
    Sorry about your car, that sucks.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take advantage of situation and do more custom work to your car.

19. 231ramona

231ramona

I really dig your Chevy! Clean and not over-done. Very nice.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

That sucks... could've been worse, though.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I notice you have no rearview mirror on at least the right side of your car. I know we want customs to look smooth and all that jazz, but if you are going to play in traffic you need to be able to see all around you. If you had a mirror on that side you probably would have seen your Pop there.

Just sayin.

Don

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sucks but you should be able to knock most of that out in a few hours.

24. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

That's a good one!

M-

25. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Agreed. The car did not come with outside mirrors from the factory. Maybe time to put some on........

M-

26. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

I am taking the wheels off this weekend and putting my old set back on. It is going to get fixed next week. They are going to blend the old black paint as good as they can. Also, the quarter panel rock guards are going to be removed on both sides and smoothed out.....

M-

27. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Shame on a nice car, but it's not the end of the world. Some metalwork and paint and it's good to go again, if that's the price for not paying attention while moving 3000lb of steel at 55mph it's still a cheap lesson.

28. Rob68

Rob68

That stinks, but as much as we love our cars and as much time and effort we put into them, they are just things. They come and go and can be repaired. That you and your dad are unhurt is what is most important. Best of luck with the repairs.

29. at least you drive it!

30. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Man that's a gorgeous fiddy-four. Sorry she got scratched up. Maybe that shit will rub out? :D