Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy straight six dilema....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip

I'v been on the Web, i'v looked at what i think is every post and thread that i could on the H.A.M.B.. What i'm asking is, What year does the separate intake/exhaust end for the 230 and 250, because i'v still yet to determine what size the engine is. It's in a 64 panel, (stock), and from what i'v gathered the 250 was more at home in the pass. cars for the early 60's and the 230 was used more so in the truck line , or am i wrong about this?
    I also see that it can be determined by the head casting which i'm no waiting to get off work and go home to test this theory.
    Thanks in advance for advice.

2. The_Monster

The_Monster

I think you're asking about the integrated head, right? The head that combines the intake and exhaust manifold into one unit?
    I'm not certain on the 230, but the 250 introduced the integrated head between 1975 to 1984. The passenger cars came with one barrel intakes, the truck engines came with two barrels.

Also, the casting numbers may help you in identifying your engine block. They're located on the passenger side near the engine mount and starter. Once you've written the number down, check it here:

http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/browse/m/Chevrolet/c/Engine_Blocks/t/Inline-6

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. Hip

Hip

Thanks "Monster". Now it gets even odder from what you say, cause my intake is a single barrel. The engine i do now believe was possably swapped.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

From my experience the integrated head was not a good thing. Any, the slightest, overheating and you're looking for a new head with instant cracking of the cumbustion chamber roof in at least 2-3 cylinders. I hated that 75 Camaro right after I bought it for my twin daughters first car.

5. ...on the other hand, I've had very good luck with those integrated head 250 Chevy 6's...the non-integrated heads do bolt rite on tho if you have problems.

6. Ive has good service from the 1 bbl versions of the integrated head 250,s. every 2 bbl version that ive seen was cracked. likely a 64 was orginally a 230 engine.

7. Post up a picture of what you have. I had a '65 panel truck that someone swapped in a Pontiac 215 into it. Identical to the passenger car 230. I never saw one before or since. It was painted that Pontiac greenish-blue.

Since mine was a C30, I imagine it came from the factory with a 292 or 235.

Bob

8. alot people junk the intergrated heads and search for the non-integrated heads ( also would need to find the exhaust and intake manifold along with it ) ...

they get rid of them cause of cracking ...

size of the engine, you can probably get the casting numbers off of it ...

its usually around the distributor area 3XXXXXX

i also have a few inline heads laying around and manifolds if interested ....

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you can find the serial number stamped into the block you can find out exactly what engine you have, what year it was made, what kind of vehicle it was originally installed in, etc,