Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Helping a friend restore 63' Ford Fairlane 4/21

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53olds, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Hey everybody so my good friend Justin who's my age has this 1963 Fairlane that was his Dad's high school car and it hasn't ran in a LONG time. So Justin is trying to get it going and I thought what better way to "pass it on" than to help him get it running. He is on a low budget as I especially since his daily is a 7.3 powerstroke..lol

We are curious where to start, the engine turns over by hand, we are going to stick a battery in. I also have to pull the carb off and clean it then install throttle linkage. It's a 289 with a three on the tree...here's pics...and the parts car is the one in the blackberries.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Start by washing it.

3. voodoo1

voodoo1

Power wash that thing stem to stern! Prob pull the seats and clean out the critters and the junk they leave. Have fun. Mike

4. Yeah haha, he hasn't been able to because his family has been doing hay there at his farm. Thats why I'm volunteering to help.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

When a car has sat for a long time the gas in the tank will turn into a sticky mess of varnish and also builds up in the fuel lines so as soon as you fire it up the crud will go right into the fuel pump and filter.You can drop the tank and have it boiled out at a radiator shop or some of the members can chime in and tell you how to a DIY cleanout,it's best to just replace the lines from the tank to the fuel pump.

6. rld14

rld14

Jeff is right. Assuming that there's no major problems with the drivetrain, here's what you need to do to make this a reliable and roadworthy car:

Flush gas tank, replace every rubber hose in the fuel system, blow out metal fuel lines. Rebuild carb. Replace fuel pump diaphragm.

Rebuild every wheel cylinder. Repack wheel bearings, replace rubber brake lines. Unless metal brake lines look new, replace them. Rebuild (only if no pitting!) master cylinder. Clean and adjust brakes.

Flush radiator out, replace coolant and heater hoses. Back flush block and heater core. Don't be surprised if leaks develop, budget for radiator, heater core, water pump. Replace thermostat.

Replace belts.

Major engine tune up.

Flush all fluids.

Grease everything that can be greased.

Replace tires.

Budget for new exhaust and hangers.

Inspect suspension and steering components carefully.

Once you get it running and driving, stuff will pop up.

7. No, don't wash it! Leave it as it is! Never know but mudina might someday replace patina. Just sayin'...

8. derpr

derpr

clean the windows. that's what I would do first.

9. Anybody have any pics of one of these all finished?? Need some inspiration

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Like this?

Attached Files:

11. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

If it has been sitting for yrs., and as you say rolls over by hand, then the most important thing to do in my mind is pull the valve covers and roll it over a couple of times by hand watching the valves. That way you will catch any of them that are sticking and have a chance to free them up before you put a starter into play and maybe a valve into a piston.

12. guitard

guitard

Gird your loins! Cinch 'em up good and tight. That's where to start. Then make sure nothing's going to sting, bite or stink in there. Then look at it as the opportunity of a lifetime and a good man's duty to bring it back to life... and run it off a jerry can to get it going. Squirt a little Berrymans after checking things out and take it from there. What a cool car. You're a good man.

13. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

This is a cool car, you might be suprised how well it will clean up. Most of all have fun doing it.

14. NICE. Everyones advice is very helpful! :)

15. If it's the original motor, it's probably a 260. The 289 was only used in the full-sized cars in '63 (except for the hi-po Fairlanes). If it's a 260, it should say so on the fender. If it just has a 'V-8' emblem, then you have a 221.

16. Get it cleaned up. Then cut the floor pans to be able to pull the rear axle up around 14". Cut 6"out of an Econoline axle. Mount it up front around 3 " ahead of centerline. Presto, Altered wheelbase A/FX er !!

17. Make it look like this!!

[​IMG]

18. 39 Ford

39 Ford

First scrub it with Comet and a scrub brush. Then go thru everything like has been suggested and you should have a winner, good luck.

19. havi

havi

Git'er done!

looks like a 221 to me... blue valve covers.

20. I took off too much paint doing this long ago.

21. Yep ^^ that and a compression check before I'd get too far into other things.

22. SLCK64

SLCK64

Just some classic looks. Imply the K.I.S.S. system(Keep It Simple Stupid)
    Don't go crazy and don't go half assed, find that nice happy medium and keep it cool! The real important things are the small details.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371011015.082913.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371011030.789168.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. It will probably be similar to this..maybe some steelies out back and a little nose high stance..we'll see.

24. Tonight we finally got ambitious enough to do something to it! I drove out and we pushed the fairlane forward a little bit then Justin used a chain and we pulled it with his Powerstroke which started a little iffy with no brakes and a slight decline...lol but we towed it all the way from his farm down the road to Hailee's cousin Brandon's house were we gutted the interior and also cleaned all the moss off. All of this was done in the dark. So now the resurection has began. Should be more updates either Sunday or Monday.

Attached Files:

25. Here's one with a little different style,, HRP

[​IMG]

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice car! It's screaming for some gold Holman/Moody decals though.:)

27. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Check the oil. Add marvel mystery oil. Do not add oil with detergent. Use a lawn mower gas can as ur temporary gas tank to fire. Do not use any ethanol based gas at first.flush radiator. Change plugs. Inspect old plugs. Inspect for squirrel or rodent homes or damage in engine bay.prime carb test fire

28. The Fairlane lives! Last night we got the gas tank dropped and cleaned, put some chrome reverse rims I had on the back because the old ones rubbed, then put air in the air shocks. We then figured out we needed new points, condensor, plugs and wires, the cap and rotor were good, also picked up a headlight dimmer switch. We got that stuff put on today and ran it off a gas can and those cherry bombs sound good! We attempted to push start it and it did start and Justin got to drive it down the road and even got into second gear...then it died haha

So now we need to get a new fuel pump, starter solenoid and one headlight and radiator off the parts car because Justin accidently put a hole in the radiator. So thats all for now, got some videos that will be up soon. Stay tuned for more updates.

Attached Files:

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Guys, when you start working inside the car wear a dust mask. Pull the rear seat bottom and get the rats nest cleaned out. Mice love that area.