Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a 1931 model a coupe, 5w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slackcat, Jun 10, 2013.

1. As the title says I found one close by and in good shape. If this deal turns out good, I'll have a hundred questions on my build.

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

they're all 5 windows. hope you can get you're hands on it. I sure enjoy mine.

3. Yeah, that's right.

What are some of the things to look for as far as weak points and problem areas?

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Everything is replaceable and there's a ton of info on " how to replace".. The more complete the better and a title is good to have...

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

As complete a body as possible is the most important thing. Everything else is likely unusable and will be upgraded if you're planning to build a hot rod out of a stocker. So buy it for the body more than anything.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

This Model is truly a traditional hotrod with its A engine with hi compression head, dropped A axle, This one has been thru 4 states in the 16 years I have been driving it. Its all A except the transmission and brakes, 35 rims. Dont believe that part about everything is 'unusable'

[​IMG]
    nota by farmgate, on Flickr

oops wrong picture

[​IMG]
    myA by farmgate, on Flickr

7. Cool A manyolcars.

What transmission and brakes are you running?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Very nice Coupe.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Depending on which direction you want to take it, like manyolcars said, everything is usable. And even if you don't want to use it, it's worth $ to someone!

they're so simple, I wouldn't sweat too much over "things to watch out for" (just don't spend crazy money on junk!) as everything is available either new or second-hand fairly easily.

Good luck!

10. nice coupe ..... and let the question(s) roll =)

11. Well I didn't buy the '31 but picked up a really nice '29 Special coupe. For right now I think I'll just drive it as is. Wife really likes it and I can find another to make a banger hot rod. I really don't have the heart to mess with this one.

Attached Files:

• 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      File size:
      193.4 KB
      Views:
    • 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      235 KB
      Views:
    • 068.JPG
      068.JPG
      File size:
      483 KB
      Views:
  12. As far as I know they still don't repro quarter panels on these. But really, almost everything else you can get, so as long as the body is straight and not too rusty it hardly matters what else is wrong.

13. Rattleon

Rattleon
    from Idaho

In answer to your earlier question on what to look for as far as weak/problem areas on a model a coupe, I would have say for a project car the more complete the better, even though most everything you can get repop! and watch for the usual lower rust problems and maybe stress cracking behind 1/4 windows around belt line.
    Your '29 special looks clean! I agree leave it and find a coupe or roadster or even one of those c-dans:D to hot rod!

14. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

sometimes the rear sub-rails are rotted out, your little blue coupe looks good. sometimes the vinyl top can hold in water and rust out the body. good luck to you.

15. Cool special! Looked at really killer one a few weeks back and it looked like it was right out of the 60's with the paint and 348!

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Not all of them!

Attached Files:

17. The black one is a slant windshield too !!! Neat
    A crafty fella could build that