Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did it change?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929FORD5WINDOWCOUPE, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Oh please, just close this thread!

2. It happened around the same time toilet paper became bathroom tissue.

3. The vatos in my neighborhood were calling wheels "rims" back in the 1960s. That kind of stuck with me and I've been using that terminology off and on ever since.

4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Wheels became known as "rims" about the time that cars began to be called "whips".

In my day, whips weren't in the garage, just in the bedroom, where they belong.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya know, now that I think about it your right, that is a cultural thing. I have lots of low rider buddies that refer to my Tru-Spokes on the wagon as "Trus", but have always bought "reems"...

6. 117harv

117harv

When a drag car lifts the front end should we call it a rimlie?

I guess instead calling the show "world of wheels" it is now "world of rims" ?

Can we take some legal action to change the name from "hot wheels" to "hot rims"

I guess it makes no differance that it is a WHEEL, when it is joined to a center beit steel or spokes.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Soooo,.....

Just when did the term "On and Off" get changed to "off and on" Huh ?..... I think we have found a nonconformist amongst us ! ,...... It's guys like you that messed up Rims, Wheels, Tires, Skins and Hyde's.......

Ahhhh,.... Wait a minute !,.... Maybe it is "Off and on" :eek:

8. A few good laughs...Why do they sterileize the needle in the death chamber?
    or Kamakazi pilots wear helmets?

9. Dirtydog

Dirtydog
    from California

I thought a rim had something to do with a butt.

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Do stuttering people stutter when they're thinking to themselves?

Why does the label on children’s Tylenol tell you not to operate heavy machinery or vehicles?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical questions ? (think about it :D)

11. I guess it depends on if it's more "on" than "off" then you would put that first for emphasis. I dunno, I'll have to ask the vatos. :D

12. You know, I was thinking...oh wait...that wasn't me.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

:cool::D:D:D:D:D !!!!!!!!!!

Roses are red Violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic, And so am I.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  14. Simply, the steel part is the wheel and/or rim, the rubber part is the tire, on most any car. The combination is wheel and tire.

15. Why did I make to the 3rd page of this thread ??

16. Yeah? well, the vatos in my neighborhood used to call the rubber part "pancakes."

Actually, I made that up. :D

Now, I waiting for the bunny.

17. BTT

To good to pass up, made people think a bit

18. Rim = The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.

Wheel = a circular frame or disk arranged to revolve on an axis, as on or in vehicles or machinery

Tire = A covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber reinforced with cords of nylon, fiberglass, or other material and normally filled with compressed air

As to when did it change? It didn't really. Although Wheels and Rims are universally interchanged to describe the metal thing that the tire goes onto, tires are still just the black rubber things. as for whether you want to call them rims or wheels, it doesn't freakin matter, everyone knows what you are talking about. But if you call the wheel/rim and tire combo a wheel, well, no one will know what you mean.

19. Think about this ... how do they get a metric sized tire to fit on a 15tiny inch rim and if a wheel has to have camber then why do the make the inside wall and outside wall the same size? .... more prunes pleeze.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"Model A 5 window"= "I used to like minitrucks or VW's, now I like HOT RODs"

21. [​IMG]

Poser bunny.

22. You ever notice that bunny has TWO pancakes on its head .... and whats the significance of that?

23. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Non car people call a wheel a rim and the left rear the drivers back ,how about calling the air filter a breather.........! It's all good !

24. Not on Monday's...
    [​IMG]

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Model A's are five window coupes now???!!!:eek::eek:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, oh, now we are gonna bring the wheel well/fender well debate into this??

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

THIS is a hot topic?:confused:

28. And the British will chip in with Mudgaurds and Wings for the same part.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its early, most of us haven't had our stewed prunes yet. Give it time...

30. When you channel a car or truck, you drop the body onto the frame. Essentially dropping the body but nothing else on the car. Body drop.

this was an unanswered question from page two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.