Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 frame builder...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jun 7, 2013.

1. If you were in Arizona I would use Elpolocko in Phoinex.
    One hell of a crafstman.
    Terry

2. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Duane at kiwi konnection is we're I got mine,very pleased,he was helpfull in all ways and super nice,I think he and Gary have a very similar product.

3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I too have also been on the search for a recommended frame builder. This thread is super helpful to me as well. I had briefly looked at a place in Daytona Beach called Clarke hot rods. Does anybody have any info on that shop. Might be worth a look for the original poster since its east coast based.
    Matt

4. blucarspeed

blucarspeed
    from oregon

Duane Jones @ kiwi connection is the man. He had mine on my door step in six weeks. Also some really good prices on other parts. Can't say enough good about this guy and his product. where do you think the other guy learned.

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just want to know which builder to stay away from unless lots of questions are asked and answered and reconfirmed. ......
    Looks like we may never know.

6. JW will build a frame any way you want it. I know, I am a dealer and have ran this by them. ;)

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

If im correct. Gary Maxwell built kiwi konections frame jig. Now he makes his own and there cheaper.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

If you read the post,it was stated that the subrail kit came from Steadfast in Ohio.
    No mention of the frame coming from there.

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

Considering he bought their subrail kit it is safe to say Steadfast undersands that an A body can go on a 32 frame that is stock looking without the jog in the rear. I didn't see anywhere where the builder was mentioned.

I also am a customer of Steadfast MFG. I bought their subrail kit but haven't got to it yet.

10. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Another vote for. Gary maxwell at blackboard customs. He built my frame and was always easy to reach & happily answered all my questions even at 8pm. Great guy!

11. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Guys, at no time have I mentioned who my frame came from but it was NOT Steadfast Mfg.

I will absolutely post the name once the frame has been returned and monies returned. With respect the last thing I want to do is piss them off prior to my refund...

12. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Kiwi konnection all the way baby!
    Love mine 4 years no prob. 20000 miles

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

That's what I wanted to hear. Other than the pain in the ass of it all, and obviously the shipping, they are working with you and said they'd take it back.
    Something that should happen without doubt but in this world it's not always the case. The builder probably isn't a bad guy or maker of bad product. He just got screwed up and was hoping you would keep it.

I am excited to see your build once the rest of the pieces fall into place.

14. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

zak and pat at thunder road built the one for my dads sedan. two awsome guys to deal with and they always have some bad ass project or 3 in there .and they are within walking distance from my house . pat is on here as framewelder

15. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

16. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

I see that you are in wv. I don't know how far Cincinnati ohio is from you but my dad and I build frames. we built may frame for hamb,ers here:
    tracer55
    josh highley
    hotrodhighley
    Joshua shaw
    j graff
    pakrat
    minewithnoshine
    Stephen fields
    eastcoast57

we can build you anything you want. period correct, traditional, roller, tacked together. check out some customer work:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4054

17. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Difficult getting a reply from blackboard after leaving a couple of messages, I imagine they are just plain busy. Spent some time this afternoon talking with 32coupedeville and learned more in the 20 mins we spoke than in nearly a week of correspondence with my prior builder.

I am hopeful I will have a new frame underway sometime soon.

18. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

You won't go wrong with the guys at Dropped Axle Productions. They may be the closest for you too.

19. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks, I appreciated the fact the guy was willing to spend his Sunday afternoon talking through various options etc. Hoping they come back now with a price/timeline I am accommodate.

20. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

My Vote is for Gary at Blackboard He built my frame for the 29 Sport coupe. You may have a bit of a wait but it is worth it. He is very busy at the moment.

21. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

i had my 32 chassis built by Thunder Road Rods in Masefield Ohio. Great bunch of guys. give them a call

22. Ron Attebury, Grass Valley Ca.
    From Traditional to full independent, definitely one of the best chassis builders and fabricators I've met.
    <O:p</O:p
    http://atteburystreetrods.com/<O:p</O:p
    <O:p

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  23. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Posting this for posterity in the event someone in the future is looking for how this came out.

Been talking with Dropped Axle for the last couple of weeks .The frame is under construction but wanted to give you an idea as to the level of customer service these guys have been giving. Got a call a few days ago and Drew says "you mentioned you were putting a nailhead in this frame. We looked up the length from the water pump snout to the bellhousing and would suggest the front crossmember slide forward 1 1/2" to help you reduce the impact at the firewall, what do you think?". Add to this the request for my leg measurement for pedal placement. Maybe this is fairly standard but the difference from this to my prior builder is chalk and cheese.

24. I bought 3 frames off of Duane from Kiwi Konnection and they amaze all that look at them with the awesome quality and his kick ass welding. They are a work of art and the frames are held in the highest regard here in Australia. Duane is also a great guy and will go that extra mile to make it all happen for you. He's a top bloke to deal with. -H.R.D-

25. Framewelder

Framewelder

Give us a call Thunder Road Rod & Custom 811 Park Ave East Suite D Mansfield. OH 44905 419-522-4712. We would be more that happy to discuss your project. Not to far for you we are half way between Cleveland and Columbus OH.

26. good to hear your issues have been taken care of.

27. wex65

wex65
    from WV

OK, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to close off on this in a way that might be helpful for some in the future.

After a LONG drive to the Good Guys event in Columbus and then down to Cincinnati I am a happy camper, having returned the old frame, picked up a new frame and seen several hundred cars at Good Guys that remind me of the difference between a street rod and what I am trying to build. Highlight of the weekend being when the wife looked at a '32 and asked 'why did they put all that billet aluminum on the car, it has ruined it.'

I would highly recommend Dropped Axle Productions for a frame and especially for those that might need someone that ranks highly in communications as well as production. Drew asked lots of questions to ensure the frame I got is the one I want. the workmanship is top notch and he took time to explain options at each stage of the build. If anyone local wants to ask anything further feel free to PM me.

Attached Files: