Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC Supercharger on a Y Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berzerk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Berzerk

Berzerk

I have a friend working on an intake for me. Started as an dual quad and we are milling the intake and adding a plate for the 4-71. I'll get some pics on here soon...

2. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Rich, this was in the fifties, all they had was your butterfly injector, the set up was on a big inch G M C 6, beautiful car, the tubes themselves were a work of art, not just tubing but formed and the body, well, I guess we can post pics of this stuff, I'll dig up that story, around a '58 issue of HOT-ROD, my blower I feel with a 2 to 1 timing chain and a 2 1/2 to 3 to 1 belt drive we could spool that thing up to 30,000 at 5,000 engine r.p.m., I only want about 6-7 inches of boost, let me know what you think, thanks, Mike.

3. Tedd

Tedd

Here's a Y-Block blower intake done just a couple of weeks ago using a Edmunds 2X4 intake for the base.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ybloke

ybloke
    from Australia

New Yblock 471 or 371 blower Intake is now available from the Ybloke search in other HAMB threads for "Ybloke"
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785687

or "Fawd" or "Blower Intake"
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780208

These intakes are really cool
    \I will try an insers an image of a yblock fitted a GM471 (no drive yet)

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. ybloke

ybloke
    from Australia

Two port Hilborn and scoop on top of GM 471 mounted on NOS CRAGAR Yblock blower Intake

[img=http://s20.postimg.org/lraqo3e5l/Ybloke_Blower_Display_2012_corrected.jpg]

Same Hilborn harware on top of GM 4-71 mounted on Ybloke Blower Intake to follow

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. ybloke

ybloke
    from Australia

Check this out
    Yblock GM4-71 blower Intake from the Ybloke

available from [email protected]

Attached Files:

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thats a good looking intake Y-bloke,is that side flat for adding a blow off valve? What size snout do ya need?.
    I made my own Y-block blower intake 5 years back also,the hard way I guess,by milling castiron y-block 2bbl intake out and brazzing 1x1in. steel around openning,tap and added alum plate to add 471 to.:cool: This pic is what y-block 2bbl looks like milled before brazzing on steel spacer beside it. Next is with spacer on top,it got brazzed on,then tapped for alum plate that holds blower. I got side tracked a few years back,didn't ever find a 7 to 8in. snout that was the next step to getting it working.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  8. Ahhh ybloke! I was sure there was an Aussie doing them..

9. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

What internals are you guys running with these blowers?

10. ybloke

ybloke
    from Australia

Dana
    Nice job on the factory cast iron two barrel...
    You must have had your creative thinking cap on when started out?
    The result is something to be proud of...

Similarly I started out with wooden patterns of a single plane 4BBL intake AND a NOS CRAGAR blower intake for inspiration (and a few measurements)... at times I was confronted and confounded, but in the long run rewarded...
    It was very likely that your project too was the source of a few more grey hairs?

Yes, the blower drive is the next piece of the puzzle!

For consistency the forward/aft blower position has been set the same as the CRAGAR...
    The height of the manifold has been increased by 22mm over the CRAGAR to accomodate the additional hold down studs and to clear all available GM 4-71 front covers...

Great to hear from you

regards
    Lindsay The Ybloke

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Berzerk

Berzerk

Recently received my supercharger intake from Y Bloke. Couldn't be happier with the quality and fit. Working now on piecing the other parts to get the engine going...

12. ybloke

ybloke
    from Australia

Announcing the arrival of the Ybloke 4-71 Supercharged 292 Ford Yblock, it LIVES….

The blown Yblock engine project has brought together a Ford 292 engine, a Ybloke 4-71 Supercharger Intake Manifold, a reconditioned GM4-71 Supercharger, a custom 8” snout and drive coupler, a ‘The Blower Shop’ swing tensioner, overdriven 50:46 tooth Gilmer pulleys (8mm pitch) a 170 tooth Gilmer belt (1360mm), a custom harmonic balancer adapter coupling and a 4-71 to 4BBL adapter plate. This combination together with a 750cfm Edelbrock 4BBL carby, home made zoomies, re-curved truck distributor and a vintage JAP (gravity feed) fuel tank completes the package.
    Check out the youtube video my son Lee shot last weekend

or
    go to youtube.com and search for: Ford y block supercharged ybloke blower intake
    or
    goto my facebook page 'Ford Y Block - Ybloke Lindsay Shoemark (please leave a like)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. I'm officially excited.

14. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Here's a GM style blower on a flathead. I made my own intake and basically did what Tedd and Dana did , just made a plate to adapt it. I cut a hole in the top of the blower and made a flange to fit the Q-jet (from a 1978 Buick supercharged V6) It works GREAT engine3.jpg

15. Busco Buggy

Busco Buggy

Holy crap it a hat that is the coolest set up on a M90 I have ever seen. I have the same supercharger that I will put on a old Buick 215. I was planning to make a 90 degree adapter but I like the open up the top idea better. Looks great.