Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

2. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

There are some good photos on the IMS site...click on "news/multimedia", then photos...and look for day you are hunting...I'm trying to link yall, but if that doesn't work - look at the main IMS site and search....I drove the newly restored to its '62 livery the blue and red Mid Continent Securites Special #14 on Carb Day....Ironically, I drove this same car in its '61 livery as the Autolite #5 in 2010.....Joe

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/galleries/show/7020-may-24-coors-light-carb-day/
    http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/galleries/show/7016-may-22-community-day/

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...1-may-25-legends-day-honoring-parnelli-jones/

ALSO LOOK HERE FOR SOME GOOD PHOTOS:

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2013/06/06/jim-mccraw-vintage-indy-racers-return-to-the-speedway/

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  3. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

Just curious.

What ever happened to or where is the McGinty Conveyers champ car #85 from 1975?

Which champ car was the last to qualify (or attempt to qualify) for a dirt car race with a normally aspirated Offy?

Same question...4 cam Ford?

4. racer5c

racer5c

5. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Roy, I clicked on the link you provided and I noticed their logo (above). Isn't there a race track logo very similar to that? Maybe a sanctioning body? I looks very familiar. I figure someone on here will know. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

6. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Good eye! Michigan International Speedway used to use that logo. But it's long gone since ISC bought the track. Here's a link showing the logo on an old MIS patch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michigan-In...g_Fan_Shop&hash=item19dd3baf35#ht_2483wt_1170

7. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Thanks! When I first saw McGinty's logo I went straight to MIS's site, but didn't have the same logo. I figured maybe I was just getting old and not remembering well. I appreciate you responding and letting me know I'm just fine!

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Farewell to my friend, Jason Leffler :(
    Godspeed, Racer

mac miller in INDY

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sad to hear about Leffler. Met him briefly some years back when he was wheeling one of the Lewis cars at PPIR. Seemed like a real decent guy.

10. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

Mac, second your sentiment since we all shared a lot of pit areas and nights together. He was a good, scrappy little racer. As my son and I discussed the other night, he was fast but did a great job of tacking car of the racecar. He never really had too many other car-wadding crashes over his many years of racing open wheel.

11. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Just a long shot!!
    A sprint car run by Flloyd Demmitt with Roy Prosser as the driver, and a number of midgets run by him also.
    Could anybody on here tell me if they had sponsorship of any kind in there lettering jobs??
    Maybe "Whiteman Airpark Refuelling Service" as Demmitt ran a business refuelling planes,or just plane "Demmitt Shilala"
    We are getting close to the lettering job and if it had something, anything , I would like to replicate it.
    Thanks in anticipation ,
    Cheers Greg

12. Racer12

Racer12

You must have to use a wheel barrow to carry your balls!!! You make todays drivers look like girls! Oh wait some o them are. Lol

Bob

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Some of the girls of today have balls too,there just a little higher than ours. Denny Z.

14. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Per your request :) (from a while back)

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      380.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      370 KB
      Views:
  15. jimg12

jimg12

I am glad I GOT to race USAC midgets without a rollcage. In my opion those guys were the best drivers around. Do not know how brave we were, just did not know any better. It was fun.

16. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Check back to post #19936. Blew everything apart and did the required cleaning, painting, powder coating, plating etc. Now the fun begins! I am still hoping to have it done by the end of July for the Belleville Vintage show.

Just takes time and money (and lots of both!)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      235.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      224.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      268.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      201.9 KB
      Views:
  17. hardysmodela

hardysmodela
    from colorado

This is my granddads car. Well known in Ohio area. Also a few of him racing other peoples cars. h7.jpg

h5.jpg

h8.jpg

h10.jpg

h3.jpg

h1.jpg

18. Bobtail T

Bobtail T
    from oxford uk

Hi ,
    I am trying to find some history for my Ford V8 sprint car .
    I bought it in Florida where it has been used at the Zephyrhills vintage meet .
    I believe the car was built and used in the Indiana area during the 30s and 40s
    The car was own by Fred Ropkey , Indianapolis. previous to the Florida owner .
    The car has a Flathead V8 with Mallory mag and Offenhauser heads .
    The chassis has HF 103 marked on the front .
    I would love to find out more about the history and see some photos .

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe this was Wylie Coyote's ride before the rocket car. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

WOW again! vintageracer37. That looks great. Thanks so much for the pics. I have seen so many pics of them but I have never seen just the chassis. Can't wait to see it back on the ground.

21. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Stay tuned!!

22. bcook

bcook

can anyone help me with a late 60's trevis upholstery pattern...ben

Attached Files:

23. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Loaded up and on the way to Fontana- Mac Miller joins me tomorrow and Mike Schrum from AZ as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  24. deuce354

deuce354

Sweet Car,!!!!!!, Any History? I suggest you call Ronnie Trevis, He still builds Sprint Cars. He is in Yougstown, Ohio

25. bcook

bcook

thanks deuce...i had two numbers for ron, both disconnected and his web site is gone..hope he's ok...the car my brother and i built in 67. trying to tie up some loose ends....thanks again ben

26. Racer12

Racer12

Tony Hulman classic at Terre Haute tonight! Can't wait, my favorite track!
    If any one is there stop by the nine deuce and say hi! We have t shirts too.
    Bob

27. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Here's a good video I think yall will enjoy...Thom Taylor, staff editor with Hot Rod Mag, went to Indy with the Akin group this year and got to drive the Bowes #33 on carb day...there will be an article in a future Hot Rod Mag about the trip but for now you can view the video...

This is the same crazy guy that drove Akin's 32 roadster from Nashville to L.A. in JANUARY!!...I'm also posting that link in case you haven't seen that video..............Joe

INDY ON CARB DAY, ETC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7JdkIpzwUE

DRIVING THE 32 ROADSTER 2200 MILES IN JANUARY:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oTjcYlxYw&list=PLBE43441C8510DC95

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Ben, He's on Face Book, And occasionally check's in on a group that was started about the Trevis race cars......................Rich

29. bcook

bcook

thanks Rich...i'll try him on one of those....Ben

30. baldtireman

baldtireman

If that doesn't work,P.M. me your phone.and I will have him call you...:rolleyes: