Register now to get rid of these ads!

oval or rectangle gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jun 8, 2013.

1. silent rick

silent rick

fixed the title

i'm building this 27 T and am going to put a gas tank on top of the crossmember in back.
    [​IMG]

i ordered a tank with oval shaped ends from mike at the hotrod company back before christmas. 6 weeks ago his guy told him about a week and a half. it's coming up on six months now. would you wait for the oval one or go with a rectangular tank like skip had on his T?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

How much room do you have between the rear panel of the your body and your crossmember?

3. silent rick

silent rick

i bought the body and frame from jack, phat rat here on the hamb. that's where he intended to stick the tank. i believe it would need to be custom made. there's only 6 inches between the crossmember and body

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

5. Deuces

Deuces

I thought this thread was about bbc heads...:(

6. silent rick

silent rick

it used to be when i would have answered "what's a bbc?" but i guess with running my very first sbc, i should keep my mouth shut

7. henry29

henry29

Ha, exactly what I was thinking.

I would definitely go with an oval tank If it were me.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

This car just looks so right to me, I'd go for a square or rectangle tank. Check out a MG TC or TD tank, maybe a few cuts here and there and it would fit. Bob [​IMG]

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

10. Rick, I like the oval style tank tipped up. Their was a guy on here who just did a tech article on building his own. Might be helpful for you.

Charlie

11. banginona40

banginona40

After looking at both I actually prefer the square tank. I think it flows better with the body lines and looks less planted on. JMHO and no real wrong answer here. In this case I would say don't be afraid to switch gears.

12. silent rick

silent rick

what about not having a tank out back at all? one of my earlier ideas was to remove the seat riser and mount a single bomber seat in it's place or at the very least, section the stock riser down to single person width.
    then where a passenger would sit, have a square tank there or a wwii era oxygen tank made into a fuel tank. it would give it more of a lakes modified vibe. i'm a big guy and kind of claustraphobic. it's not like i would feel comfortable driving with a passenger.
    then have it fitted for a tonneau cover with a zipper running down the center.

13. banginona40

banginona40

Good point!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rick, What is wrong with a stock 26-27 COWL TANK? Your car looks great, is there a HAMB build thread on it? Bob

15. silent rick

silent rick

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

Or, maybe round? Here's mine from a '24 Federal-Knight truck, which is a 10" diameter. I think this is the same tank used in the earlier Model T's, so one shouldn't be that hard to rustle up. It's too bad that the Hot Rod Co. is taking so long...sheesh.

[​IMG]

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

1932-34 Ford Pickup under seat tank may be another one to look at. Bob

18. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I think this looks bad...

Attached Files:

19. silent rick

silent rick

the tank i ordered from the hotrod company measures 13x9x34. it would sit almost exactly like that one, about an inch higher than the back of the body

20. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That blue one looks like an after thought to me.

Did you order it with a side or top cap?

Attached Files:

• 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      484.3 KB
      Views:
  21. silent rick

silent rick

22. I like the square tank. It looks like not alot of room between the cross member and body,this could make the tank sit to high and as mentioned look like an after thought. If thats the case i would make a recess in the bottom of the tank and fit it over the cross member to achieve balance. Very cool T indeed. JW

23. I noticed in the second pic that the rear spring is behind the axle,hence more room for the tank. JW

24. badshifter

badshifter

I have the 26/27 Chevy gas tank seen in this picture. If you want it, it's yours free, just shipping. Might be just the rectangle tank you're looking for.

Attached Files:

25. I run the oval and like it on my car, but I sure get tired of people asking me if it used to be a big muffler . I do like that square one on yours.

[​IMG]

26. badshifter

badshifter

See if this will work for you.

36"x10"x7.5" with cap.

Attached Files:

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be a rebel man! Octagonal!!

OK, I'll shut up now...............:eek:

Doc.

28. Hey kid,
    How do you tell a TC d from a TD?

Rick,
    I like either, but I really like an oval for an exposed tank on a modified roadster.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ The TC tank it taller and skinny. Both have chromed side trim panels (missing in the above photo) The TD has a wider bottom. Not sure, but there may be a recess in the center for the spare tire mount.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just in case, I think the take on the back of Skip's T was a 28-31 Chevy. The William's Bros roadster also used one for ballast behind the rear axle.

I seen a few at hershey and I should have bought one. I need one for my '33 now.