Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 frame builder...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jun 7, 2013.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I will update my other thread in the next week or so once things are settled (NOT looking good!) but it looks like I may be on the look out for a 32 frame once more.

If anyone can recommend a solid builder/supplier I would really appreciate it. I am feeling a little gun shy after my recent experience and will be flying/driving to see any potential supplier to ensure I get what I want.

I am building a 1930 highboy on 32 rails. Not sure what other details are needed but I am looking for nothing more complicated than a 32 frame pinched for a 30 body...

...and yes, I have performed a search and seen ASC and JW rails mentioned but I would rather get recommendations from those that have experienced a builder's work.

Oh, and obviously someone based east coast is easier than my flying to LA!

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

Call Michael at street rods by michael www.srbymichael.com phone888 680 1932 I have bought a lot of parts from him great to deal with.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

There is only one. Gary maxwell at blackboard customs.

4. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

5. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

I agree with the guys above. Gary is all I will ever use.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

Ionia Hot Rod Shop

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

black board hot rods! not customs. But yes hes the man I love my frame. Some words of wisdom, i wanted to do as much as i could on the car. But it would have been worth the extra cost to have him weld in the extras and get the front spring notch. I didnt want it and now that the car is together i wish i had it for just a bit more travel. Make sure you buy his ladder bar mounts and radius mounts as they fit the frame nice.

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

9. Gary is building 2 for us right now & has done a few others for us. He dose a great job but is on the west cost. Could be worth it though.

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks guys, I will reach out to Blackboard and see how I fair. NOT the most local(!) but I may be out in San Fran next week for a meeting so that might work.

11. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

dropped axle productions in Cincinnati, Jack and Drew do really nice work, if i didnt build my own frames i would have them build them for me

12. ralphie9n

ralphie9n
    from new jersey

Another vote for Flop Customs. He is building my 32 frame for my 30 roadster. There is not much he can't do.

13. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Blackboard. You cannot go wrong. By the way, you have another thread where you mention that your frame arrived from "that Colorado shop" that has been in the news here for quite some time. Yet, here, after that post, today you mention a search. Curious.

14. Kiwi Konnection, High quality and great value.

15. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Hi Wex,

Drive north on interstate 77 to Mansfield, Ohio and visit Zach & Pat at Thunder Road Rod & Custom. They are great old school guys, fun to work with, reasonable and most of all build fantastic frames! They just built a 32 frame for my 32 three window coupe.

http://www.thunder-rods.com/

32 Spitfire

16. Great idea , while you are in Mansfield stop and see Steadfast too.
    Another hour you'll be in cleveland and ill buy you a beer! !

17. wex65

wex65
    from WV

A little mystified by this post. I have never mentioned a "Colorado Shop" anywhere and the place I got my frame from is not in Colorado so am unsure as to what you are referring. :confused:

Thanks for the Blackboard reference though, seeing lots of these.

18. Have Gary do it.
    D

19. sedanbob

sedanbob

You might check with Pete & Jakes in Missouri - they do really nice work.

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Ah, I see that you did get a frame from Colorado as per your post titled...
    "32 frame newly arrived, is this correct??"
    Must have had a problem with it? Seems that many recommend Blackboard. You cannot go wrong on excellent craftsmanship and darn fair price. Let us know what you decide and how the build is going.
    If you have the 32 sub rail kit available, I have a friend building that combo and maybe you can find a buyer with him. Please, send a PM if you want his contact info.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  21. I too am having a chassis built by Gary Maxwell, we were just waiting on a custom RHD x member from Ionia actually. You probably can't go wrong with any of the recommendations. Gary's prices are very hard to beat [even with shipping from the west coast (about $400 + $40 for pallet)] especially considering the quality and craftsmen ship everyone has previously mentioned.

22. duane @ kiwi konnection
    925 bernard st bakersfield ca 93305
    661 871 5494

built a pinched 32 frame for a model a roadster ( 30/31) awesome price and quality... super nice people ( kiwi's generally are )..... do yourself a favor and check them out....
    good luck

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I prefer the one made by Henry Ford. Dearborn Mich.

24. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Sorry but again, the frame did NOT come from Colorado and there is no mention by me of Colorado in that thread. I think you mixed it up with another thread.

No response from Blackboard as yet but I have feelers out with JW too.

25. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

26. Nocero

Nocero

Ask the original builder to send you the rear rails he whacked off. What you have can be fixed by any competent fab shop. If you were close I'd help you do it myself.

27. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

This is what i thought,too

28. Kiwi connection would get my vote, Gary from blackboard used to work there im led to beleive and his chassis are an almost identical copy of the Kiwi Connections chassis. Ive delt with Duane at Kiwi a couple of times and hes a top guy with a great product.

29. JW ?? I really thought the one you have was a jw because their 32 for an A is built a lot like the one you have.