Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. OldColt

OldColt

Just checked out the Greer Dragway website. Thursday's 6-10 pm are for "test & tune". Any local spy's going to be there to tell us if a certain Blue Gasser shows up ? --- Steve ---

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another part of the story has come to pass. Cromer tested the Moonlighter in his drive way yesterday just like he did 40 years ago. I knew there was a reason he wouldn't run it at Greer, he said every race car that he has owned was always tested in the drive way before it's first run and he didn't think this time should be any different. There is no video because he didn't want anyone there just him and Melvin just like back then. He was real excited when he called said it felt good. Melvin told him that it really moved out fast. This just made my day now I can't wait until it goes to the track. Everybody can come and watch then.

3. Way to go Gene!!! Thanks Quain. I wonder how many original neighbors Gene still has??

4. Chipper

Chipper

Now that brings tears to the eyes, thinking of the pleasure that Gene must of felt when he mashed the gas. He and Melvin have probably still got huge grins on their faces.

5. OldColt

OldColt

Thanks for this great news Quain. I have suspected all along he would do that on that nice long wide concrete driveway. Wonder if he is going to make poor Melvin scrub up the black marks he laid down. --- Steve ---

6. Gree5ndf

Gree5ndf
    from usa

The shocks and springs that were put on the car in 1967 when Gene redid the rear chassis.[​IMG]

7. OldColt

OldColt

Just shows what a chassis pro Gene was back then & how well Quain refurbished it. Would have paid $10 to hear what any new neighbors were saying with all that noise and smoke rising over the trees. Probably "what the &^%# is going on over there !! " Just hope the cops don't come make him stop like happened to me when I did the same thing years ago. --- Steve ---

8. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Actually there are no black marks (yet). This is all there is.
    [​IMG][/URL]

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No black marks just hook marks remember back at the first of the build how far back the engine is in the Moonlighter it's going to be just like back in the 60s hook up carry the wheel and go.

10. OldColt

OldColt

It's simply amazing if he did that on cold tires. A stationary burnout to heat the tires would have at least made some short black marks. Maybe Melvin has been out there with the pressure washer again. I guess we will find out later. Thanks for the pic Frank. --- Steve ---

11. I just left Genes and the lack of black marks are partially due to how much better the tires are today,,they hook instead of spin.

Gene and Melvin are still addressing small problems and he said he will be testing for a while longer and hasn't decided on a date but said he would let me know when he was ready. HRP

12. On another note,,Quain & I talked today and he suggested that we go ahead and give Gene the seat cover and the money that it brought in the auction due to the fact that he couldn't possibly get down to Anderson for several weeks.

We originally thought we would do this at the downtown show but felt it best to do it in Genes shop,,so these photos were from today. HRP

[​IMG]

Quain also suggested I give Gene cash,,so Melvin took the photo of yours truly filling in for Quain, handing over the cash to Ruth and Gene.

[​IMG]

This is a list in alphabetical order of the HAMBers that add to Quains Bid to purchase the seat cover and have all become owners of the seat cover and wanted to donate it back to Gene Cromer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Danny, bad move! You never, ever give the money to the wife! You should have given it to Gene. That way he could have at least touched the money..... before he gave it to her. Just kidding, that was a good thing y'all did.

14. dirt42

dirt42

Excellent reporting work HRP! I'm still following and checking in daily to get my fill of the Moonlighter.

15. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Quain or Gene; Were you able to use the Koni springs I sent you ? Chris

16. OldColt

OldColt

I sure miss seeing the man himself. (Gene) post on here from time to time. I hope you local helpers didn't break his computer googling for all those parts. --- Steve ---

17. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Wow just found this thread and man is this a cool story. We will be traveling through Tennessee around the 22nd could I get som more info on the races there? If The Moonlighter is going to be somewhere close I would like to take my son to see it.

18. When I stopped by yesterday Gene,Ruth & Melvin were finishing up lunch,,Ruth followed us out in the shop,,she had Gene repairing a lamp and Gene and Melvin had a list of odds & ends to do on the Moonlighter.

Gene does check in from time to time but doesn't post too much. HRP

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We are expecting at least 10 period correct Gassers there ( not just nostalgia bodied cars with a straight axle) Gene don't know yet if he is going he has got to do some more driveway testing. If you can make it come over and say hello.

20. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Quain,

You're referring to what event?

Don

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

[QUOTE. I don't know when or where this will be but I do know that there is a big gasser race coming up in Knoxville Tn. June 22 and he has already got gas money.[/QUOTE]

Is there a website for any info?

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Is there a website for any info?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm about to cause this tread get off topic but since Gene COULD!!! be going I guess it's OK. Our period correct Gasser group is going to be at Knoxville dragstrip June 22 PM me for info so we don't get off track here. Here's a link to the dragstrips site. http://www.knoxvilledragstrip.com/

23. OldColt

OldColt

Methinks Gene needs to put up a sign at the mailbox end. Something like "Caution - Hi Speed oncoming traffic may be present". --- Steve ---

24. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Chris the springs were smaller in diameter than mine, we sent them back and you should get them tomorrow. Thank you very much ror your help.

Gene,

25. billyndelores@bellsouth.n

[email protected]
    from Anderson

I know it's early but Gene do have some sort of schedule of events you plan to attend with your Willys? If not I'll try to keep up with the forum. My grand kids and my self can't wait to see your Willys in action after all these years. Oh yeah , Greer was absolutely out of this world.

26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

27. In the sixties Gene could have never imagined how his love for drag racing and that little old willys would cause such a stir today. Congratulations Gene on another deserving moment... Thanks Frank... neat poster

I hope on a trip thru Anderson next year you see a sign that reads....
    Home of GENE CROMER east coast drag racing hall of fame inductee and his 1941 willys "Moonlighter"

28. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Here are some white vinyl stickers we are going to be selling at events. They are approximately 6"x3" and can be applied to any solid surface. Unfortunately it looks like we won't be offering these stickers online, just at events.

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  29. OldColt

OldColt

Thanks for coming up with these. Will they be water slide or adhesive? One of each would look great on my toolbox. --- Steve ---

30. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

They are adhesive backed.