Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Tank Inside Cab move outside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dauphinee, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Dauphinee

Dauphinee
    from New York

I am guessing this has been asked before but here goes.

I have a 1949 ford f1.
    6 cyl flat head
    6 volt system.
    Gas tank is behind the seat.
    What are the options to move the tank and relocate it?
    Is it something a novice can tackle?
    How hard is it to do as a 6v tank?
    Where to get a tank?
    Looking for bolt in as I don't own a welder.
    Where should I put it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. shadams

shadams

I bought a 19gal aluminum tank from Performance online, came with a sender and mounting kit, filler neck and cap. Fit perfect behind the axle between the frame rails. It is a 50 chev truck but they had one for your too, easy cheesy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  3. a40lover

a40lover

I would leave it where it is, if it is in good shape...run it!

4. If it ain't leaking don't worry about it,,if it has a odor you my need new gasket on the sending unit and a new hose on the filler. HRP

5. oldolds

oldolds

There is a big recall argument going on with Chrysler and the gov't about tanks mounted behind the rear axle. It is nice and safe there in the middle of the truck.
    Just make sure the leaks are fixed. Gas is too expensive to waste.

6. shadams

shadams

Doesn't really matter where the gas tank is at.....if conditions are just so it is going to suck. I would rather not be leaning up against it if something bad happend, but that just me...

Funny thing is, it seems that anywhere you could put a gas tank, at some point someone brought a law suit saying where it sits is unsafe. They have to be out of ideas by now..

7. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Kinda makes you wonder how anyone survived the 1930's when almost every gas tank was between the rear frame horns

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

I would think a gas tank behind the seat is most safe, because if you get rear-ended by some douche-tard on a cell phone, you have all that sheet metal and frame to absorb impact energy. If you get t-boned hard enough to rupture the tank, well then you're most likely screwed anyways.

Besides, I enjoy hearing the gas slosh around in my truck and smelling fumes when I fill it up! :D

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm... closed casket or open casket?:eek: I say leave it where it is. If it's leaking, fix it. But if it bothers you that much, there are all kinds of tanks and kits to fit. GOOGLE is your friend, as well as the folks here.

A MOON tank, mounted in the bed, would look WAY cool.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Maybe so...but the Powers that Be say Electric Power!

Better listen to 'em... they've protected us thus far.

11. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

If i get hit and my gas tank splits.... Id rather have it a few feet away. Plus the extra leg room is nice!

12. My brother's '69 C20 got hit in the back by a drunk driver and it pushed the bed into the cab and crushed the tank badly. Luckily it was parked at the time. It was totalled.

After seeing that, I moved mine in my '65 C30 under the bed. I grabbed something out of the 'yard and mounted it in front of the axle between the rails. Hooked up the sending unit wires to the tank and it worked.. amazing.

Bob

13. Ole don

Ole don

I know a guy who turn the stock tank 180* and mounted it in the front of the bed. You could make up wood brackets to hold it. He had scads of room inside after that.

14. I agree, if, during an accident a seat tank gets ruptured, your body is probably going to get ruptured also! I want to be cremated anyway.

15. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Moved mine out back to gain a rust free tank and storage space behind the seat - not to mention a leak could be onto the hot exhaust manifolds on a COE..... see pics at post #37 here ...... Was all bolt in....

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ford removed the "behind seat" tanks around 1974.... Getting "T-Boned" with a behind seat tank doesn't sound like a good thing. Shadams is right,...No matter what's been done, or not done, someone has likely filed a lawsuit.

4TTRUK

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

I think any impact that's enough to push the bed into the cab, you're screwed, no matter where the tank is located.

18. harp

harp

i've been quoted 250$ for a custom built tank locally, the bolt in tanks from no limit eng. or classic performance products were more in the 450$ price range. i designed my own low profile tank out of cardboard box & will have local welder build it for me.

19. Been driving my 64 f100 since 86 , tank behind the seat never concerns me. If i get hit hard enough to rupture the tank it wont matter where it is. I wonder if you did move it and the insurance realize it during a claim if they would back out of covering you for it not being in the stock location???

20. We ran our 71 F100 for 300,000 + miles with a can tank - when the sender quit and I was too PO you could estimate remaining fuel with a wig wag of the wheel. Slosh like a belly full of beer? good to go
    No slosh ?
    stop for gas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I drive my OT c10 chevy everywhere with the original tank behind the seat, but my current 55 chevy project is going between the rear frame rails. I figure put that bit of weight over the rear tires, help the weight distribution AND get the bomb out of the cab...

22. oltruckag

oltruckag

Heh - if moving the gas tank voids insurance I suspect most of us would be screwed.

Another vote for leave it in the cab.

Heck- I can't decide if seat belts are a good idea in an A without a roof or if I'd rather be thrown from it. If the wreck is bad enough your screwed either way.

Tyson

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Regasketing the sender and replacing the filler hose would be an absolute recommendation. Let's face it, if it is your time it IS your time and moving a gas tank ain't gonna change the clock.

I'm always surprised by the guys who buy an old car and don't replace the front and REAR brake hoses and the radiator/heater hoses as well as that tank filler hose. When these fail you have a desperate safety situation usually right now.

24. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Agreed. Unless it leaks, save your money and leave it alone.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

These old trucks are tin cans. No matter where you put the tank, it ain't safe. Another vote to leave it where it is. If you want safe, drive a Volvo. Hot rodding ain't a safe sport. :)

26. CFM

CFM
    from Santa Rosa

I've had multiple OT Chevys with dual tanks on the OUTSIDE of the frame rails. I'm sure someone has sued Chevy for it at some point. oh well.

27. fsae0607

fsae0607

Actually, an old truck is a tank compared to a modern car. A low-speed collision in my GMC will crunch in say some Honda, while I just get paint on my bumper! :p

28. If you must move it, measure, and hit a wrecking yard. Something like an S10 or Ranger may fit if you add brackets.

29. JonF

JonF

If you're that worried, put the tank IN the bed. Not under it. I am leaving mine it the cab where Henry put it.

30. Check TanksInc., measure the space between the rails and go from there. A lot of C 10 owners can put early Mustang and early 50's Chevy passenger car tanks in the rear. Check the Ford truck forums. Good luck.