Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from Hurst Racing Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODRUBBER, May 29, 2013.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Here is my 2 cents...and it won't buy you a cup of coffee.

My first set from Hurst were and still are killer.They are perfect.The do exactly and perform for what i wanted.After 5000 miles.. they are holding up fine to all the abuse i can throw at them.They handle well and i have been in the rain,.... as long as i watch myself.... no issues.
    I don't have cut or grooved ones..i wanted the straight up slicks and I have them.If your gonna un-zip your fly... you better be prepared.
    Got a second set of the identical pair and i was less than satisfied.Never used them and got no customer satisfaction.
    So I guess I am one for one.

As the Great Gonzo has stated...... Being a very small tire business must be very very difficult....Specially in the last 4-5 years...with all the economic woes,enormous shipping costs,etc,etc.
    Very tuff indeed in this very small market.

By the way.. that vid is kick-ass....great production values and excellent creative.
    Let's just be civil and have a discussion.

[​IMG]

2. Jamoke

Jamoke

we need smella vision with that video

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Incorrect mounting methods, like not enough lube on the bead, so it tears the bead up. Or the wrong tool to mount them, so it bends or breaks the bead. Most mounting issues have to do with ensuring the tire goes on the rim easily. Hurst slicks have a pretty stiff sidewall, like the old cheater slicks did, so the people mounting them need to take care, as they wont flex when they get bound up during installation.
    I deal with a family owned small tire store, and they had no trouble mounting mine at all, but they deal with lots of hotrods, and always take extra care with them.

4. Great video, cool looking tires! Thanks to people like these guys, for providing a product, that not many others would. I've seen new, virgin casing tires fail too, not just recapped ones. It's a bit of a crap shoot with tires, especially when it's hard to come by a lot of good bias ply casings, to make these tires. Keep up the good service you guys provide. Thanks also to Jeff and Ryan, for taking care of the drama, that ruins threads like this.

5. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

did you a sawsall?

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So by the tire "falling apart" after 10 days he's referring to the bead then. I was thinking tread problem.

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Casings Hurst used were over 15 years old! Bead, tread, etc. coming apart/seperating. Unfortunately, they would not warranty, replace, or stand by their product. Have read and heard from many others with similar problems. Have had better results with Towel City slicks since. Their casings were less than 5 yrs old.

8. Good to hear you have some slicks you like, now could we just move on. We all know from your previous posts your displeasure with the Hurst tires..
    Point taken... :mad:

9. rld14

rld14

Ryan,

Very well said.

I've never bought Hurst tires yet I know several people who run them. I also got to see that corvette tonight (yes, it's incredible in the flesh) And the tires looked great.

These are retreads, and I think that with any retread you're running certain risks, but you're also running certain risks by driving a vintage race car as it is. Ill say that Cody seems to have a very loyal following on here and the people that I know who have run them for some time are generally happy. I've also heard that they don't hook as well as modern race tires. To quote gunnery Sgt. Hartmann... "Well, no shit".

If they're using carcasses that are over 10 years old, that's not a good thing however.

Much of this is part and parcel of old car ownership. Stuff that's still available is often made by small companies in limited quantities at great expense. It's not like its worth it for Bridgestone/Firestone to develop products like these, if it were my local Firestone store would still stock 9.50-14 Deluxe Champions.

10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Was just adding clarification in regards to "blowby's" prior post. Also, to let people know that there are other options out there, such as Towel City.

11. That's my only concern with retreads, the age of the used tire casing being used. How many times has it been patched etc? Retreads are not optimum anyway, but we are drawn to that pie crust for the vintage race look, but in my opinion they should only use the best tire casings and throw out the bad ones.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hurst uses brand new Hancook tires for their front runners.

14. But I wonder if the casing issue is due to the lack of bigger 15s? Have you guys looked for 235s lately? Finding 15" tires is harder every year since the OEMs are running 16s-20s. I suspect that the used casings are getting harder for them to find in the larger sizes and the new market is shrinking. Just one thought I had. FWIW

15. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Love Cody's tires

Attached Files:

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

MARSHALL^

Love your coupe!!!!!

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Would those be radials then? How about the rears?

18. The hurst cheaters I had on the T were on BigO radial cores.

19. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

The slicks are radials on my corvette and altough I heard stories about mix in matching bias n radial and personally I think it drives fine even on the highway. I personally bought them for the look, as for performance I wouldn't go racing all day on recapped tires hurst or not

20. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

it's guy's like this that make me love hot rodding!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Hahaha

22. Camm

Camm

Steve and Cody, Dig it...............................

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Fixed it. :D

24. No. I make LOVE Hot Rodding! ;)

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That is one cool informative video! GREAT JOB and I so happy to be a part of TEAM HURST with the TWIN! Looking forward to mounting my new HURST slicks to my 5 spokes and Burning Rubber this August at Billetproof! Thank You Cody, Rocky

Attached Files:

27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Here is another one to ponder....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

They last forever! Ron made these for me 8 or so years ago.

Attached Files:

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Must have been a long time ago I'd guess. They use specific casings for each size slick, and don't vary. The 10"x15" slicks are a truck radial tire casing, and I'd have to look at mine to remember the brand. I think they're Uniroyal, but not sure.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm a radial tire man myself but having read several "It's gotta have bias plies or it's not traditional" threads there's a bit of irony here.. :)

BTW in the video he does start with an L78 bias ply.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013