Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Year of Manufacture Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by semaj4712, Jun 4, 2013.

1. semaj4712

semaj4712

Anybody know if I am able to register my 55 Truck without com plates?

I know in 55 you would have been issued commercial plates for your truck however they are insanely hard to find, and expensive when you do...

Does anybody know if the DMV will allow me to register without the com part and simply a set of plates from 1951 with the 55 tab?

Thanks

2. You might have to go to a few different DMVs but others have done it. You have to swear that you have a shell on it and leave yourself open to tickets without a shell (depending on the cop). I tried to get a car plate on my panel truck and was told no way because it didn't have rear seats for passengers.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

They will not. 1951 is not YOM if your truck is a 55?

4. You need more than a shell to qualify. It has to have cooking facilities and plumbing

5. semaj4712

semaj4712

I believe i said with the 1955 tab, which i do have, 1951 is the plate generation

Thanks everyone for the info, never figure the dmv was all that smart, guess the hunt is on for the proper commercial plates

6. abc123

abc123

Why not just ask the DMV?

7. You can use plates with "COMM", "PC" and "BE" for commercial plates. I have "BE" on my '54.

8. semaj4712

semaj4712

Cuz the two options is sit on hold for 4 hours, or go there and sit there for 4 hours, and aaa doesnt do yom plates

What does pc and be stand for?

9. CHP (the bastages) have been known to give tickets to station wagons with car plates, saying they need commercial plates to carry a load when they have boxes above the lower window line in the rear storage area. ... anything for revenue.

Ask three different DMV clerks and you will get three different answers . ... all with the "deer in the headlights" look.

10. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

The phone number for the DMV Special Processing office in Sacramento is (916) 657-7606 or (916) 657-7654. There is no website access for this info. They have more knowledge then your local DMV

11. 327Eric

327Eric

When I did my studebaker coupe I was told it was hard to find clear 1951 series plates because the number sequence is the same as commercial- number, letter,5 numbers. If this is the case, it shouldn't be hard to find a truck sequence plate.This is what is on my coupe, and I have been pulled over, run, and told to fix it, by various cops over the last 20 years. I never did.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You can do it but you can't haul anything in the bed, not even your kids bicycle. It happened to my Dad and he had to pay a fine. After that, he went with commercial plates.

13. I have '51 car plates with a '55 tab on my '55 truck. It's still registered as a commercial vehicle. I never got any static from the DMV when I applied for my YOM plates. If I get pulled over for not having commercial plates I'm covered, since my registration says commercial. Besides, most of the younger CHP officers probably don't realize there's a difference when it comes to plates that old. Plates on newer pickups don't look any different than cars right?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Pneumatic Commercial for the tires it's running.

15. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I think they treat the YOM series the same as personalized, at least that's what I have been told. If that's the case, you can run personalized plates on a commercial vehicle as long as you pay the fees. When I lived in California I ran personalized plates on my pickups and never had any problems. The registration sattes it is a commercial registration.

16. semaj4712

semaj4712

I may have not been clear, I dont plan on registering it as a commercial vehicle, it is simply a person truck, I have had other trucks in the past non of them said commercial vehicle on the registration, and it was never an issue with cops

17. I may be wrong, but pickups are almost always registered as commercial. So the greedy state can take more money from us.

18. semaj4712

semaj4712

You may very well be correct, Ive just never noticed that before, and it is not on the title, but you could be right...I know modern plates are no different for trucks and cars so I didnt know they would be registered differently

19. Muttley

Muttley

Make an appointment through the DMV website....................it only takes a second and then you wont have to wait in line.

20. Yeah, but you'll spend 4 hours trying to explain the code and arguing with them and their supervisor.... because you know more about the code than they do...

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

22. chop32

chop32

You may have just been lucky.
    When I first got the '32 in my avatar on the road, the registration stated that it was a truck, but there was no commercial designation.
    Just short of a year later I received a letter from DMV stating that I was required to re-register the truck as commercial, provide a weight slip and exchange my non commercial plates for commercial plates.
    When the girl at DMV mentioned the weight fee, I told her I couldn't haul much more than a baloney sandwich and a six pack in the bed of the truck and invited her out to see for herself. When she saw the 3' long by 8" deep "cargo area", she smiled and said she would waive the weight penalty, but I couldn't get out of the commercial designation.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Sorry, I wasn't aware.

24. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

As I understand it, YEP.

All the pickups registrations I see each year at tax time all have the weight fee on them, which I assume is the commercial part the truck owners get to pay more for. I have never owned a pickup, so I am going based on what I see and am told.

But, I have been told you can get around the commercial fees if you run a shell or tanau on the truck, then you can get a waiver, but I have also been told, run the truck without said shell and you will get a nice ticket from a friendly CHP officer for not having commercial registration....

25. chop32

chop32

I was told by DMV that the shell had to be permanently attached to get around the commercial designation. I'm sure it would be up to the DMV (or the cop) as to what would be deemed permanent.

26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The biggest problem with the DMV is they are consistently inconsistent. Getting past the hags at the various field offices is only half the battle. They are often filled with wrong information that they will vigorously defend to the end. Once you finally get the clerk to process the application you now get to deal with another round of fun as the "Special Processing Unit" in Sacramento decides your fate. Depending on the competence of that clerk you may get rejected for entirely incorrect reasons, such as they one time claimed 1956 trailer plates should be 6 inches wide and actually had that written in their books.

I never doubt that some people lucked out and got plates registered in a way that does not match the rules, but generally the plates must match the title. If it says commercial they will want commercial plates, and car plates for cars.

27. 327Eric

327Eric

all trucks are commercial, including El Caminos and Rancheros. There are ways to get around it, but get caught with anything in the back and its a Ticket.

28. semaj4712

semaj4712

My title says automobile, so I may need to first get that changed and then find some commercial plates, id rather not run the risk of getting pulled over all the time, and just do it right

29. hbwoody

hbwoody

I used Quick Plates in Huntington Beach they did my YOM plates. Give them a call:
    714-965-7500
    www.quickplates.net