Register now to get rid of these ads!

*** June 2013 BANGER MEET ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Now that you fellas have your engines, trannies and tires warmed up,
    SAVE THE DATE
    [​IMG]

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wild stuff. Like it a lot. Thanks for the video's

3. For those of you wishing to get away from the "Big City", this event is you. It's held on one of only remaining intact Mexican Land Grant ranches in the West. Though the "hill climb" event on the Santa Margarita Ranch is only on
    Saturday, you can make it a weekend.

We will be meeting for breakfast Friday morning at Tina's, in the little village of Santa Margarita. The town is North, over the hill, from San Luis Obispo California. On Friday, we'll be going on the ranch to set up some of the infrastructure for the Saturday event. Saturday, we'll again have breakfast at 7 am, at the same place, before we go out to the track.

If you've never been to this event, you probably don't know what you have missed. You have not only missed running at a fine track; but you missed being on a property that the public rarely sees.

Here's some shots of last year: This is Alan Volbrect's first build
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Here's some more of the action at the Santa Margarita Ranch:

[​IMG]

5. ....and more:

[​IMG]

6. more! Raul Castillo was almost "King of the Hill"

[​IMG]

7. You can bring your car just to show!

[​IMG]

8. S1B

S1B

Nice speedster

9. Ron Mosher "Light's 'Um Up"!

[​IMG]

10. Steve Hunzinger, a noted fabricator of motorcycles, including the Munro Bonneville bike; made passes in Willie Chambers' historic Model T hill climber.

[​IMG]

11. This Banger was originally built by the late "Rosie" Rousell.

[​IMG]

12. And, here is the "King of the Hill"! Keith Loomis made this car; including the rocker OHV cylinder head...

[​IMG]

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Crazy hasn't said, but he built a new engine for this year, and really picked up some power! I'm not sure but I think he ran well over a second quicker than in years past. I know because he has beaten me a few times!

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks Jim,
    My previous quickest 1/8th mile time was 11.23 @ 57 mph.
    The fastest of the 4 passes on Sunday was 10.146 @ 67.17 mph.
    Ya, the new engine is much better.

15. Please excuse me if you have already documented the new engine but would you mind sharing what you have done or any details of it? Thanks. It sounded and looked great in the video at the Antique Nats.

16. chopo

chopo

anyone?

17. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

The lower Model A distributor shaft is correct.

18. chopo

chopo

^ thank you

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No problem Greg,

B block, counter weighted crank, insert bearings, pressurized and filtered oiling system. Stock oil pump modified for volume and pressure. 4" JE pistons with stock B rods. Brierly G-27T cam with FH V-8 springs and modern SS valves. @ 7.5:1 CR. 1.770" intake valves. Stock size exhaust valves. Two Stromber 97's. Flywheel lightened to 36#. Increased the oil pan capacity and modified the baffles to keep oil around the oil pump.

I posted some of the details of the build in the Banger meets starting with porting the block in the Dec 2012 banger thread. Each month since there was a little more about the build.

20. I love that turbo drag car!

21. millerjl

millerjl

I am new to forum and rebuilding an original Riley 2-Port my uncle gave me when I was 14 yrs old (a few decades ago....) Block and head are rebuilt but we are missing the intermediate distributor drive shaft. Does anyone have the proper length for the shaft? We have new FSI distributor to install. Thanks so much! Jack

22. best bet is to call charlie yapp
    he can give you the info off the top of his head probably
    tk

23. millerjl

millerjl

Charlie's a wealth of information and very helpful. In fact, I purchased one of his shafts hoping it would work. Unfortunately. the Original Riley head and riser are different dimensions than SOS's. Mel at FSI, where I purchased new distributor, also is very helpful but does not know dimensions. If anyone knows the length of the original, we will have a new one built locally. Unless, by rare chance, someone already has an extra they want to part with. Thanks for your help. Jack

24. ebtm3

ebtm3

Not any kind of a problem. Take the length of a stock Ford shaft, and add the thickness of the head, from gasket surface to dist. seat.

If machining a new one, the radial orientation of the slot in one end to the tab in the other is not important--BUT they are both off center (1/16" I think, but check).

So simple that a cave man--with a milling machine--could do it.

Herb

25. joemac05

joemac05

Mine looks like it was done with a hacksaw... :p works fine.

26. Thanks for sharing that, it looks like it runs real good!!!! I am keen to do a cool motor like that for my 25 T Tub

27. I pulled the one from my 2 port. It measures 9.250 (91/4") but with current B distributor looks like I'm only engaging bout 1/8+ so I will cut my next one 9 3/8 " min. As to the slot let me tell you how it was back in the "day". I bought a steering wheel adapter from Gene Scott in Rosemead, the business is now operated by Jim Gordon, not sure if I bought it from Antique Ford parts or Antique Auto parts or one of the other names they had back then. I took it, with some other parts and left. When I checked it out a couple a days later I saw it didn't have a keyway so I called Gene and he said yeah he knew cause he hadn't had any broached yet. He said I could bring it back or I could put 5 blades in my hack saw and cut the key way. I did and it worked You might "mike" the hacksaw blades cause you want a good fit. Here is the engine I pulled the shaft out of this AM. I think that the inside edge of the slot is the center of the shaft. I have used this shaft with a FS and a older Mallory dual point, and now a stock B distributor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  28. millerjl

millerjl

Thank you so much for actually measuring your shaft. We have a machinist that will build one. I will give him the length of 9 3/8". Your engine looks fantastic. The thumbnail lost a lot of detail when I tried to enlarge it. We are working throttle linkage and I would like to have a closer look at yours. Would you please send me via PM a larger image. This engine might fire-up next month for the first time in more than 50 years. Thanks to everyone for helping.