Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-52 chevy rear leaf spring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ibhotrod, Jun 4, 2013.

1. I just purchased a 50 chev styleline deluxe. I want to do a v8 and auto swap on it. I've read a lot of posts and did a bunch of searching on the rear end and leaf swap. Seems like an s-10 4x4 rear end is a popular swap. Most of the swaps seem to use a posies spring kit or C.E. kit. I'm on a tight budget. Has anyone done a swap using springs from a junk yard and if so what was used? Thanks ahead of time.

2. ev88f

ev88f

use the stock springs if you want

3. leadfoot85

leadfoot85

should be able to use stock leafs. just have to weld on perches...

4. I heard the stock springs are very weak and prone to wrap under load. I will be running some decent HP in my motor.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one more vote for stock springs. the only thing you need to do is offset the hole in your spring pad to match the pin in the spring since it is not in the center like on regular cars.

6. thanks for the replys. I pick up my car tomorrow. cannt wait to start working on it!

7. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Use the original springs !!! Jeff

8. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

49ratfink is right. Drill the spring pad (perch) to enable you to center your newer axle assembly. New perches can be purchased from several sources. Your original springs (leaf) should be 1.75 inches wide. Jeff

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then you will probably want something better that an S10 rear.

I just did a 1950, with a 1976 Camaro rear, and 6.70-15's. A Nova rear, of the same vintage is a little narrower, if I remember correctly, and if you need a little more room for bigger tires.

10. S10 rear needs perches moved. Camaro will drop in - use some lowering blocks so the spring perches will fit the springs.

I picked up a set of traction bars in the junkyard to use on mine but never got that far. They were cheap, like $20.

IIRC Posies springs are like $300, I figured it for a down the road change.

11. scott51

scott51

That's true but depends what you mean by decent HP and what you plan on doing with it. Sticky tires? Hard launches?

Don't know what style build you're planning but a trailing arm or anti tramp bars are other options

12. I'm thinking in the 400 HP range. I don't want tuner cars to pass me on the highway! I may go with an LS engine eventually, for power and fuel milage. what size tires and gear ratio's are you using?

13. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

I did not have to re-drill springs:

Just turn the springs around (front to back) and that will center the rear!

Im running a 455/400 combo with a 79 firebird rear end, just had to add shock mounts.

will be redoing the rear in the future but it works for now!

[​IMG]

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 38 Chevrolet has similar springs and I used a 57 Chevrolet rear end (free 40 years ago), didn't know I needed to offset the locating pin:( I made my own slapper bars using welding square tube to the shock mounting plate that came with the rear end and some rubber bumpers that I had laying around. I did a few hi rpm "slip your foot off of the clutch" and never experienced spring wrap but I am on the third differential in about 20K miles of driving.

15. fifty2, that's a beautiful car! have any problems shoe horning that motor in there? I have a 454 big block sitting I could through in mine. Just got home from going and getting my 50. now to start gathering parts.

16. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I have a 79 10 bolt posi in my 51. Its perfect, plus you can get some crazy ratios. I have 2.43 gearing, it gets 28 MPG on the highway and with a 350/350 it will still spin the tires.

17. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

I fabed my own front and rear spring and shackle mounts, bolted them to the bottom of the frame rails and used 67 Camaro springs and shackles with 2" lowering blocks. The rear axle is a 66 Chevy II 10 bolt with factory spring perches. every thing lines up perfect.

Attached Files:

18. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Thanks!!

It fits great. have to remove the stock heater and fresh air duct, but other than that it fits good. Ill try to get some pics up tonight so you can see....

19. good gas millage is always good these days! I know there is a big variety of ratios for the s-10 rears. I would like to run an overdrive for millage. I plan on driving the crap out of this car!

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure is. I rarely build a car these days, without an overdrive gear (or two). The last '50 out of the shop has a 350, 700R4, and 3.42:1 gears. Goes like hell, off the line, and on the freeway. No MPG numbers yet, 'cause the speedometer is not hooked up yet.

21. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

Mine has a good powerd 350 with a 10bolt posi rearend attached with factory leafs, seems ok,but I am going to swap them out for a 4 link in the future to get her down even lower

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I used the S10 springs, put wider hangers on the front, and sliders on the rear instead of shackles.

23. gimpyshotrods, that is pretty much the combo I'm thinking.

24. kmiele

kmiele

I run a 455 olds and a third gen camaro posi. No spring wrap problems or wheel hop issues. All on stock springs with lowering blocks. Only issue is the third gen rear is wide. I cant run my fender skirts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. what are you guys doing for wiper motors? I heard 57 chevy ones work any input?

26. I got the Newport Engineering kit in my 51. simple bolt on swap. A little expensive though. But nice quality made in America parts. :)
    -Pat