Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethics of stealing ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Put a picture on here then you are showing off his ideas and not quite simply stealing them.... With his permission of course...

2. do it...but do it better.

3. There are only a few ways to skin a cat....If its your cat you can skin it anyway you want but don't think its never been done that way before .....

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I want to see a picture or it did not happen and I also want to steal the idea.

5. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

You guys are hilarious. I will try to put up a picture when I get off of work... He did the wood roof like the inside of a woodie. The inside is upholstered to perfection (I really haven't seen a nicer interior) The top is all done like a boat. polished wood in different pattern. structure and form. Like I said, I don't know that I could copy those skills, but I can't stop thinking how cool it would look in my car. I did plan on giving full credit to his work. Stunning. I know it's all bullshit until you see a picture. I'll work on it. Was planning on asking him anyhow, because I think it's the right thing to do.

6. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

The case of the ethics of stealing ideas.... is officially closed. :D

7. ford495051

ford495051

I've thought about this a lot in the past. I've found that I don't have any trouble dealing with my conscience when I use (use, not steal) someone's idea. I always give credit and I always put my spin on it.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Simpsons did it.

9. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

No one has ever stole my ideas :( , now I'm sad.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Oh, that is exactly what I was thinking! And not only has no one ever stolen one of my ideas, they also usually say, "I would NEVER do that to MY car!"

11. Spork!

Spork!

Just bolt a sheet of plywood in there and throw on some Thompsons water seal and you're good to go! :eek::D

If you want to get really fancy you can use OSB. :eek:

12. I did that on a 61 Ford Van in 1984! SOB stole my idea!

13. Who chopped the first 32 Ford? Look all the copycats.

14. Right you are! :D HRP

[​IMG]

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why don't you ask him to do yours for you? Then it will be executed well (you said you didn't think you could pull it off as good) and you can give him ALL the credit.

16. as long as you dont take credit for it when asked- but give credit where credits due theres not an issue....at least not if you dont best him at some show, then its throw down time

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

How about the guy who first painted his wheels red? :eek:

18. Wood as a roof??

He stole that one:

Attached Files:

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Here's the bigger question - why would you want to copy his ideas? If you are in a small town, the first thing everyone will do is say "looks like ol' Bill copied that from ol' Larry." Soon you won't even want to go to Dairy Queen in your '30 for fear that silent eyes will be boring a hole in the back of your head while you try to eat a Dude.

The world only needs one Cher*; all the men who like to dress up like her, have contests to see who looks the most like her, and later have sexual relations with one another are really adding nothing to the party.

*More than likely, the world could well without even the first Cher but you get my point.

20. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey that's HAMB....Share n' Steal..(or borrow sounds better) Ideas!

There's allways a first for everything.
    Imagine if we couldn't steal anyones ideas here....What the heck would we be allowed to build..?

T

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

22. chris' 38

chris' 38

I have the absolute greatest idea ever, but I'm not telling.

23. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Just post a pic of it all around the web, and in a week or two there will be 1000 cars like it. Then nobody will ever know whose idea you tried to knock off.

24. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

tfeverfred, stop looking at your ava a a a a tar.
    Whoops..............

25. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

How abaout the guy who first painted his wheels - period.

26. My old boss always used to say "good artists borrow, great ones steal."

Kidding aside, as mentioned, as long as you give credit where credit is due. Keep in mind too, "there's nothing new under the sun"

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

He must have seen my '46 Pontiac wagon! However, it's ok if you want to do it too.

Attached Files:

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree there. By the time you get yours done there will be three others in the area with the same trick done to them if the normal course of hot rod ideas flows along.
    It would be proper to ask if it bothered him if you used his idea though. And proper and correct to give him credit for the idea when someone asks about it.

30 something years ago I came up with an idea for the dash in my 48 and at the first few shows I took it to it drew a lot of interest and over the years there have been several done somewhat similar and some of them look freaking fantastic and make mine look like the copy rather than the original and I have no idea if my idea was original at the time.

29. I thought painting flames on a pile of dog shit
    was the only thing that hadn't been done,
    Then I found a picture of that on the interweb too

30. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

People always seem to steal my ideas years before I have them.