Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from Hurst Racing Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODRUBBER, May 29, 2013.

1. Whatever. A lie is not a opinion.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

How do you know he lied? So far, other posts state there's a problem with Hurst, so all those people are lying too? It's an OPINION and should be treated as such.

3. afaulk

afaulk

:eek: They're fucking re-caps good to look at and not much else. Not worth a shit back in the day and no better in 2013.

4. rld14

rld14

Someone says a product failed and its automatically a lie?

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I flog the fuck out of mine-no problems and I will buy more if and when the time comes!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Have you ever seen how a non recap is made, or a recapped tire? Until you've seen how they make them, I really don't think you can lump all recapped tires in the same general consensus. Hurst recapped slicks are a very good product, with thousands of satisfied customers.
    I have no horse in this race, nor do I care what everyone thinks, but don't think anyone should be talking trash if they haven't tried the product themselves or seen how they're made.

7. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

I have a set of Halibrands that just might need to be wrapped in these to make sure they suck as bad as stated here ;)

8. mt94ss

mt94ss

Great tires. Got my 30x10x15s mounted on the 10" slots for the '55.

Cody has a killer '63 Riviera with dual quads.

Mike

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. fordy standard

fordy standard
    from Warren, MI

----
    You are not the one that was out $575. What gives you the right to call me a liar? Why would you even think this was a lie? These tires were purchased last year and I got to use them 10 days. All of the balancing was done according to Cody’s rules BUT the tires would not balance. The tires literally fell apart.

The Tire shop that I took them to found that the date on one was 1995 and the other was 1997.

How would you feel if you were out $575?

I am glad for everyone that had good luck with Cody and his tires but I do feel that I got screwed.

Yes, I am angry - but you are the moron.

10. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Damn, I'm in love with your Corvette, and my Hurst slicks are bigger than your Hurst slicks.

12. Anderson

Anderson

They sold you tires last year that were over 10 years old (before the recap) What's up with that?? I like these tires but that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Cody & Steve props on the cool vid. Great tires guys. 10" on my '67...:D

Attached Files:

14. Rusty

Rusty

The hurst recaps are the reason I didn't make it with a car to this years roundup, I had a set of hurst front runners separate on me about 60miles out of Dallas, no bueno for me, they looked the part but didn't like acting the part, hate to talk bad about any cool looking part but they won't be getting any of my money or customers,

15. Get Over It and move on ! You already made your point on a thread that got closed. I liked the video.... nice Cody :mad:

16. looks great Mr. Barry :D

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Boy, you need to respect other peoples opinions/experiences! This guy you're talking about has owned a rodded 40 since 1960 and has been building cars since. Also, one of the most respected guys in this hobby of ours! Don't know your age, but he was probably paying his dues when you were in diapers. SHOW SOME RESPECT AND EXERCISE A LITTLE CLASS!!

18. I don't need to do anything.

19. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

No, I guess you don't, BUT YOU SHOULD LEARN TO! "And that's all I'm gonna say bout that"

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey dude.... giving your opinion is one thing... name calling is for little girls.
    Some folks swear by this product.. others don't.
    Fine.
    Keep it Civil.
    If this bullshit mudsling continues..This thread will be locked and closed.
    First and last warning.

21. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good call Jeff... The name calling thing really is lame. Just post an opinion... Hell, I'll post mine.

I have a long, long history with Hurst. It started out about 15 years ago when the company was owned by someone else. I bought some brand new G78-15 tires from Coker and then had Hurst recap them into slicks. They were gorgeous... but didn't hook up worth a shit. I went through them in about 30 passes at the strip and probably 7000 miles on the street. Hard miles.

Then, some really good pals of mine bought me a set direct through Hurst and surprised me with them. At the time, the company was just changing hands, but still belonged to the old owner. The tires were pretty for sure, but they came apart on me... literally... the recap separated after about 500 street miles. They never saw the track.

Of course, by this time the company had changed hands. Cody didn't want to take responsibility. Which, honestly... I understood. He had just bought a company and probably didn't want to pay for the past owner's mistake.

In any case, I bought a new set of G78-15s from Coker again and sent them to Cody to be recapped. The tires look good... but don't hook up worth a shit compared to modern slicks. Understandable and honestly, I don't really care. It's not a race car.

I've seen brand new tires from Hurst that look like they have been patched from the inside. However, I think this is from the manufacturing process and I don't believe they have actually been made from tires that were at one time patched. I'm not all that familiar with the recapping process though...

At the end of the day though, we got what we got fellas. Hurst provides a service that many others don't... and through them you can get a tire that you can't get anywhere else. Without those tires, many of us would be screwed.

I guess I would rather deal with some issues than be stuck without.

It is what it is.

23. I have a set for my Tudor. Only been pushed around the shop so far. They look great! we'll see in a while how they hold up. Customer service was outstanding when I bought them, talked dirrect to Cody. Nice guy.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What "incorrect mounting" method ruins a tire?

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I feel bad for anyone in the tire business really... Coker included... Because their client base is us... and we put tires on 60 year old wheels, let them sit for years before actually mounting them as the project is finished, etc...

I mean, it must be a nightmare to discern customer service issues that require attention due to product problems vs. "customer" problems.

I can't imagine...

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I have two sets, one set on '55 chevy and another on my '36, and love them.

Cody is great and is always ready to help with questions. I am going to buy another set for the '32 3w

Attached Files:

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, now I'm confused. Are these NOT meant for drag strip use? Are they for looks only? How are they worth the money, if they only last 500 - 700 street miles?

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That '36 is awkward as hell... and yet, somehow I am really drawn to it. Like, I think I really like it. Any more shots to ponder?

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They do fine on the street. On my current Hurst tires, I'd guess I have 8,000 miles? And they have plenty of rubber left. I haven't been nearly as hard on these as I was my first set. They ride and handle fine - even in wet weather with the cross hatched tread I had Hurst add.

As far as performance... The second year of the HAMB Drags, I drove the car out on the Hurst tires (no tread added to these) and made three passes the quickest of which as a 12.96 at an ungodly mph... They called me the "smoke show" all day long. It was fun as hell.

For the last pass, I put on a set of modern Hosier Drag Sicks. They looked terrible, but were close to the same diameter as the Hurst tires. I ran a 12.39. The car hooked much better.

In my opinion, Hurst tires aren't for a serious race car that gives no shits about looking cool. But then again, this isn't exactly a fair test being I only have experience with three different sets of tires - all of which were the same size.

Maybe the bigger tires perform better in relation to modern slicks. I dunno.

At the end of the day, I was using the Hurst tires as a street tire and they performed admirably in that application.

30. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Dig them burns... :cool: