Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethics of stealing ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

So there is a guy in town who has built a car like I'm building. ('30 Model A Coupe). His style is different than mine, but came out beautifuly. I saw his car completed at the car show this weekend and was blown away by one of the unique and individualized things that he has done. I wouldn't ever have thought of it. Haven't seen it before his car. My point is that anyone who knows him would say, "That's (insert name) idea you dirty bastard!"

Here's my question... I desperatly want to copy his idea and put it in the car I am building. What is the proper way to approach another builder, and ask them about stealing their idea and using it in your build? I don't think I would be able to pull it off as good as he did, but I think it is too cool not to try.

I'm probably overthinking this stuff. Is it flattery, or just good old fashioned theft?

2. Ahh, there's very few New Ideas, most have been thought of before. hell every time someone posts something "New" on here, 15 minutes later there are 3 pictures of it from "back in the Day"

3. Yeah, what's he done that so different?

4. being inspired is not stealing.
    Artists have been inspired by peers and mentors since the beginning of time.

be inspired- proudly!

5. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Steal that idea. Like everyone said- it is probably not all that new anyway.

6. There are no ethics in stealing -
    Influenced, inspired, directed, & clones, counterfeit, copy

7. Nothing is new when it comes to traditional thinking,,,I wanna see a photo of what your talking about. HRP

8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Take a look at the begining of the banger's thread, "By three methods we may learn wisdom";
    "The second is by imitation, which is the easiest."

You living in the same town may make it look a little tacky, unless you can significantly alter the idea(s) so that there is similarity, but not direct copies. If the other individual is the old type person, they may just whine about you copying them. If they are more modern, they may come after you for stealing their "intellectual property", since it is their own, unique design.

9. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Nothing is new

10. Master of None

Master of None

As long as you give credit when credits due. I'm never bashful about telling where I ripped off some of "My ideas" from. Everyone puts their own twist on things. I find it to be flattering when someone thinks enough of something I did, to copy it and make it their own. So long as they say where "Their ideas" had their inspiration.

11. rld14

rld14

Trust me,

Unless he put a Model T engine converted to diesel and mated to a dynaflow in that car, someone's done it before.

If it were me, and if I knew the guy, and knew we'd see each other at shows... I might go up to him at the next cruise night and compliment him on whatever he's done that you like. I'd say something like "man that looks awesome, I bet that would look great on my build". And I bet ya a cold beer that he would be flattered.

Now, if you're passing off his work as your own original idea, yeah, that's being a Richard Cranium.

Bill

12. jhaas63

jhaas63

Who cares what anyone thinks....do as you please.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Exactly!
    ONE person came up with the dropped axle...look how that ended up! :D

14. I want to see this too.
    Where's the pictures?

15. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Ethics on this matter is about your own moralistic standing. The fact that you are thinking about consequence means that you care.

Anyway Steal shamlessly!!!

16. F&J

F&J

If you build traditional like this website is about, then everything we do is "copy".

that does not sit well with some people because they want to be different.

I am a follower, not a leader, when it comes to build style.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If it's not copyrighted, it's fair game. And even then, when it comes to hot rods, what hasn't been done before? Plus, he probably got it from someone else and may be claiming it as his own.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Its wrong to copy Rolling Bones and Bass chassis ideas?:confused: Bob

19. afaulk

afaulk

Copy the thing and give credit where it's due.

20. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Was this something huge on the car? Or is it something subtle? If he painted the car purple with ghost flames, and you want to do it too, then I think it's going to be noticeable that you copied him. If e made a bitchen cover for his license plate light and you want to copy it, I really don't think anyone is going to notice. Talk with the dude and see what he thinks. Better to ask first, then to do it and have someone pissed at you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I have a buddy that might steal that idea! :)
    I would talk to the guy if you have any reservations

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. greg r

greg r

Stealing is taking without paying. Plagiarism is passing someone else's idea off as your own. If it ain't copyrighted or patented, the best compliment is imitation. Consider Ed Roth, and all the spin-offs from his ideas. It still pays to put "your" application into it.

23. Master of None

Master of None

Nope, they borrowed it from Doane Spencer.:D

24. n847

n847

you guys aren't gonna believe this but I just talked to Bikertrash and that dude built that 30 Ford...Get This...On a 32 Ford Frame!

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. Squablow

Squablow

I've had a few people convert their 4 doors to two door sedans after reading some of my old tech threads and that was some of the most flattering things I've ever heard. Then again, I'm not the first one to do that either, although I was told that's the first time those people had seen it done.

Tell the guy you love what he did and would like to do the same, I don't think there's anything bad about that.

And tell us what it was that he did already! What, you afraid we're gonna steal your idea to steal his idea?

27. Fenders

Fenders

He did something unique?
    Hah !
    Where'd he steal the idea from?

28. busch167

busch167

Ever done ANY kind of racing, need I say more?
    As stated talk to the guy.
    (Years ago a designer I worked with told me "if you steal from one it is plagiarism, if you steal from more than one it is research")