Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which wax does everyone prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Americanmusclecar, May 31, 2013.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LIQUID EBONY!?? Damn that stuff was the shit in it's day, wasn't it? I still have almost a full qt and it works as good as ever with a genuine Sioux bonnet (1011?), and I have 1 or 2 of those stashed, still sealed up in the original package.

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

3. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

We used to mix a bit of polishing compound into the Liquid Ebony to do the final buff on black cars.

(Highlander- you remember figuring that out back in the day @ Kar Kraft?)

There's still a squeeze bottle of that concoction in my shop.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

5. We don't need no stinkin' wax, but when we do, we prefer Simonize. Stay too lazy, my friend.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. flat 39

flat 39

Wax is wax. I use the cheapest stuff available.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

On a related subject, my Son just tried that new Mequiars orbital thingie that goes on a drill to wax his daily driver. He said it actually worked great and cut down the waxing time from several hours to an hour.

Just thought I would pass that along.

Don

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Don, I've been using one of those 10" (fool proof) orbitals on DD's for quite some time. They definitely cut down on wax time, and the results are pretty impressive.

Side note, I remember using some wax back in the late 70s-early 80s called "The Treatment" make by Johnsons I think. Used to get it at Nationwise. Worked good on the black rides, but wasn't real durable.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Who sells Wizard? I looked at Advance and Autozone

10. ev88f

ev88f

X2 i love thier paste wax, this is some of the best stuff I found. My friend used their insulator wax on his truck and it's lasted for well over a year

11. Contact Bull here on the HAMB

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Years ago I won a nice gift kit from meguiars at a NSRA event.... havent touched any other brand since.

Funny they should see this thread and how many of us use their stuff

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How well I do remember Safari. I also still use my dear Dad's all metal Black n Decker polisher. It's never let me down and he bought it in the early 60s. "Suicide switch", I like it. Same here, a metal rocker switch in the handle. This thing would make you look like Popeye if you had to use it every day! These days, for final finish, I have used a foam pad on an air GRINDER at 5000 RPM. That's not for everyone. You can go from hero to zero in the blink of an eye, but when you want it to look like water is sheeting on the finish, while it's dry...

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0

15. I've always liked Turtle Wax products too. They have this newer product called Wax & Dry which works pretty well. Wash the car, while it's wet, spray the stuff on one panel at a time, dry with a micro fiber cloth. Not that slick of a surface, but it shines well and beads water up nicely.

I use it on my OT cars, one is metallic black. I really should strip the wax off it and get something for a few swirls I have in the finish. Will see what Turtle Wax has to offer, but might have some Meguiars in my selection, I have to look.

Bob

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's probably because it's a polish. Anyone who was in the military remembers having to polish your boots. Well, to do a "spit shine" you applied the polish, spat on it and shined it up. Car polish is the same way. Get your polish, apply it one panel at a time, mist it with water and rub dry. After you've done the whole car, wax it.

I use Zymol car polish. It cost more than others, but if you follow the instructions, which are like polishing a boot, you'll be amazed at the results.

17. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

No Wax.Meguiars #7.Its not a wax it nourishes paint.no buildup.I Like wizards too!

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Are you saying Its not available at local stores?

19. I can get in in several stores, I fact I can sell it.One of my wholesalers deals in it. It is Widely distributed.

20. tedster

tedster

I have never seen Wizards in a store. What stores sell it? I always get it from the web site. Handy if maybe I could find it local.

21. Bull

Bull

Whew . . . whole lotta Wizards fans in here. Thanks!

Yes, I am the Marketing Dude for Wizards Products. We have retailers all over the country who stock our products. Many NAPA, Carquest, NCS, KOI, Auto Value, and some O'Reilly stores have the products in stock or can get it from their distributor in a day or two. You'll also find us at lots of professional bodyshop supply stores. Because we also have a full Motorcycle Products line, you can also find us in bike shops too. If you contact me here on the HAMB, by e-mail at [email protected], or by phone at 800-356-7223 I'd be happy to find a retailer in your area and/or make a product reccomendation to suit your specific needs.

Our most popular product is our Mist-N-Shine Professional Detailer, but we've got everything from flat/matte finish detailer, polishes, spray wax, buffing compounds and pads, aluminum & chomre polishes and sealants, car wash soaps and everything in between. You can get more info on our website at www.WizardsProducts.com as mentioned in the previous post by Tman. You can also buy product there in our online store -- HAMBers save 15% by using coupon code HAMB15 too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But enough of the commercial though, back to your regular hot rod posting!

22. boldventure

boldventure

That would be a fun job!

23. Rat wax must be for an off topic rat rod! Huh? Whats my shit polish for lol!

24. gr8shot

gr8shot

Rat wax is for Flat, Semi flat and patina. Works great on these surfaces. Leaves no white haze and smells like Juicy Fruit Gum. Takes off water spots, greasy finger prints, stuff like that. I use it and like it. NOT for glossy surfaces!

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Flashwax from Malco is great stuff.

Jimbo

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The fingernails need a coat of polish, but otherwise.....

27. Never seen ratwax! Learn somthing new everyday!

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I found out that no one within 200 miles of me sells Wizard. Maybe in Dallas
    Shipping doubles the cost of the Wizard

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013