Register now to get rid of these ads!

>>1935 Ford 265 Chevy :Lost a Bit of Power on the Highway<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jun 2, 2013.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So I've been driving this shit out of my '35 lately and it's been going really well. There are little things on my list of "to dos" but other then those car runs really really well. Well yesterday I started driving it on the highway more frequently going down to Cars and Coffee and then again today driving it 70 miles to see a friend. It drove great on the way up and also 3/4 of the way back. But just as I was getting comfortable it seemed to feel a little different then I lost a bit of power while the RPM's stayed up. Just felt like it was falling flat a bit but then kicked right up and started going.

I did notice a little pop from the carbs which usually happens when it loads up but since I was on the highway and doing around 65mph the rpm's were up there and it wasn't bogging down or loading up. I ended up pulling off the next exit and took the back roads home and it got back fine. TEMP AND OIL PRESSURE WERE GOOD at 180º and 80lbs respectively.

So my thoughts were maybe there was some oil slung onto the flywheel and my clutch started slipping while at speed?

Anything I should look for first?

Thanks in advance, JJ

[​IMG]

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I'd check them points and condenser.....sir

3. primed34

primed34

Eighty pounds oil pressure is a lot for a street engine. Guess it could blow out on the clutch but I doubt that's your problem. Maybe a vacum leak?

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

x2 on checking the ignition...

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok I should mention that there is a little crack that we tried to tig up right where the oil canister's threads are. So there is always a little oil on the bell housing that drips down. My thoughts were that perhaps at the higher RPM's that it was seeing on the interstate it was possible that the higher oil pressure founded the path of least resistance and went down those threads and to the bell housing.

Cory, that's something I didn't consider!!! Thanks! It's probably got 500-1000 miles on a fresh dizzy from GMC bubba but that might be something to look into.

6. F&J

F&J

was today the most humid and the hottest so far?

popping back through carb at speed sounds leaned out, or running out of gas

some stocker guys are combatting vapor lock by adding a wee bit of diesel fuel in the tank

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Sounds electrical....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Also check your battery cables from the battery all the way to the starter. If one of the wires is rubbing through it could be causing an intermittent short and loss of juice. Happened to me in my A. Just something else to check and cross off the list!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I should note that it didn't feel like the engine cut out, but instead I lost the "pull" from the engine while the engine sounded like it kept going. Almost like I pushed the clutch in however it's didn't rev higher. But then after that happened it did feel like the carbs loaded up for a second.

10. 32Gnu

32Gnu

What carbs are they Jeffrey?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Four 97's....all rebuilt by Uncle Max. I honestly have not had any problems with these besides when I make a turn in 2nd gear and it bogs down due to my gearing. And even then it's a little popping and chugging and it smooths out.

12. pull the valve covers, have someone roll the engine over (disconnect the coil wire first) and check each and every rocker arm to see if they all move the same. I just went through the same thing on my 350 Chevy, I found one rocker arm that barely moved- from a flat camshaft.;)

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

^^^^^ Oh boy that's be awesome.^^^^^

What about setting valve lash on solid lifters? Since we first fired the engine.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You mentioned that you just started driving it on the highway yesterday, then this happened. Have you run it up to highway speeds before, cut it clean from that speed and looked at the plugs to see what they look like? Might be getting a wee bit too much fuel in the upper range that you haven't been using continously until now... Just a thought.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm going to go out today when I have some time and start snooping around. I'll check the plugs, battery cable connections, points, and start looking for signs of clutch slippage.

Any other tips are appreciated very much.

Thanks for the responses guys.

16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I would check the clutch first,no hint of burning oil smells?

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nope. Nothing out of ordinary.

18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Another thing to think about.....how much freeplay do you have in your clutch pedal before you engage the throwout bearing?

If there isn't any freeplay, the clutch might not be 100% engaged.....and slightly slipping under a high load condition (high speed, high gear).

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ohhh, Cory that's a possibility. Thanks bud!

20. Ok, are we sure the distributor is set up on number 1 correctly? as Chevy did it from factory? would be far from the first time I have seen this wrong, people making up their own number one, clocking distributor, hopping plug wires etc.

I would start there, timing, making sure it is set up right etc.

I would bet it is a tuning issue, rather than a mechanical issue...also check though the clutch, carb tuning etc

21. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

I had a similar problem on my 36. Has 2-97's with OLD Eelco linkage that started to slip on the 97's throttle shafts, resulting in less throttle opening. Was a quick fix! Something to look at? Hopefully yours is just as easy!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That would be awesome. However Dickster built my linkage and it's all set screwed in and aircraft quality. But yeah I'm gonna look into it! Thanks!

23. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Try Brakeclean(not that non-chorinated crap,it takes off paint !) on the clutch-preasure plate while its running, it will sling it around and clean everything, at least that will eliminate oil on the clutch,also, freeplay get less when things heat up ??? Chris

24. b-bob

b-bob

I had a problem like that once, and i had wired the ballast resister back wards and the points went away. Good condenser? Just trying to help.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I should mention that I have been driving this car for a few months and have around 1000 miles on it so wouldn't some of the things that were mentioned shown themselves earlier on?

I appreciate all the great responses.

26. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

I dont think its your Cam. I had that rounding off thing happen... it doesnt fix itself. I vote for clutch slippage.

27. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I vote for driveing it more. Sometimes i think things are going wrong and its just my mind going.

28. Delray

Delray

A vacuum leak will cause a stumble at steady rpms on the highway but it also should not idle at a steady rpm either.

29. A tach could help you pinpoint a clutch problem if you noticed an increase in RPM at a given speed. At the very least install a vacuum gauge connected to a source of full manifold vacuum. It can tell you a lot about whether you're lugging the engine or have other valvetrain, ignition or carburetor issues.

30. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Cool car.

Is emergency brake off, completely?