Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy 2 door slow build...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweeden, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanx guys cant wait to get this frame done so i can bolt it to the car for a few mins to appreciate where my moneys gone so far lol... then its time to cut it to get them rockers touching the ground.

they are Coy C5s they are actually for sale 1700 brand new never driven on just mounted to that frame lol... be careful dont admit u like the 22s ull have a shit ton of old guys with hard-ons after u trying to convince u to buy wide white walls lol

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dude, the HAMB's a traditional custom website, I don't think you're getting it.

Nice work BTW, even if "laying rockers" ain't my thing.

3. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

no i get it but airbags aint traditional either and everyone seems to look past that haha

4. leadfoot85

leadfoot85

Yeah, I've noticed most people on here are white walls or nothing. But to each their own and I like the bigger wheels and lower stance. I think the 22's are a little big for this car though, I'm planning on 18x8 up front and 18x10 in the rear.

Keep up the good work!

5. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Yea its not original so they dont like it i guess... In gonna eventually put a 20 under my 54 but for the tome being its gonna be on the steelies till i figure out exactly what route im gonna go as far as the wheels go. They sell off brand wheels loke riddlers that look like that and are cheaper then the coys

6. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

my god what ever you dont post pics of it with 18's or 20's lol...naw just kidding bet it will look killer :cool:

7. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Pretty sure cars in the 50's came with airbag suspension. That's pretty traditional in my books.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

no worries i wont offend everyones eyes here with a nice set of wheels lol

I dont disagree with that but that was never a option on my car or most cars for that matter. Air suspension was around but it definatly wasent used like it is today so id say thats not very traditional to put it on our cars... thats here nor there i just like to point it out since big wheels are such a issue around here... the only reason people didnt put them on their cars in the 50s is because they didnt have them... same reason back in 99 noone was putting 24s on cars, because they didnt exist for ur everyday vehicle. Customs custom nough said

9. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

well we finally got around to doin a bit of work. got the front cut out so it will clear for the most part and took that giant useless tranny xmember out of there that was partially keeping it from laying. After doin a bit of measuring it looks like ill be z`ing the frame to get this thing to lay body... what ever it takes

Attached Files:

10. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Got a bit out of control... figured it eventually need to be media blasted anyways so I should just strip the paint off now and just leave it bare metal so I can take it to a few shows and it look decent... Turns out 60 year old base primer isent phased by aircraft remover and this has turned into a long drawn out process haha. Oh well found a bunch of shitty metal fix work and some body filler. Got the car stripped as best I could and now its on to hours of sanding. ill repost once I get it done over the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

11. guitard

guitard

Lookin' good. I think the traditional thing is that lowered cars were definitely traditional and bags are invisible - just another way of gettin' down - whereas bling and 22s are very visible and take a car right out of a 60s and earlier LOOK.

Either way, to each his own. I'm not personally a huge 22s fan... that's why I come here. I certainly don't hate 'em or hate on a guy that wears 'em any more than I'd hate him for his shirt or his hat.

Love your build, and I'll love it with steelies more! :) You're making great progress, waaaay better than me...

12. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanx a lot its not goin as fast as id like it to but I guess that's expected lol. I understand that I guess I just look at it differently because when I see something I don't really care for on someone else car I don't say anything because its not my car so why would they build it the way I like it? Some just have a hard time with it I suppose buncha grumpy bastards lol

13. guitard

guitard

Yeah I hear you, but it's their site and without guys holding the line on the focus of a site like this (or other sites with particular focuses) it turns into every other unfocused site. Which can be fun, but then it can't be focused like this. It's a temple to a particular aesthetic and that's specifically why most of 'em come here. They can be a bit caustic if you post OT but you'll never find more real-deal old-school building knowledge anywhere... and that "traditional" look is what I'm a-hungry for, so that's why I'm here. I'm into '70s vans too, but I leave that on sites for them. If I posted a pic of that here, why that's like wearing a Meat Loaf T to church. I would HOPE someone'd slap me upside the head. :) :) :)

Do these things ever go along as fast as we want? I look at my sh$! for years and then have to learn how to do half the stuff I want to do. But it's a build it or buy it world, and I ain't cuttin' any big checks anytime soon, LOL.

14. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Did a bit more strippin and sanding... Definitely not a fast moving process... Glad slamfest is 3 months away haha im gonna need the time

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371013737.751500.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371013768.153182.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371013799.139643.jpg

Attached Files:

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Bags are traditional,"dubs" aint!

16. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

well i think u guys have convinced me. definatly not doin the wide whites on the 15" steelies now... this bitch is getting some "DUBS" hahah. I figure this way all the people that i probabley couldnt stand to begin with, wouldnt waste my time talkin to me because my wheels arent traditional no matter how shitty or sweet the car turn out haha

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

keep-on keepin-on ,love those 54's

18. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Got a little more work done on the car... There is no shortcuts for taking all the paint off so its all hard work and sweat and taking much longer then anticipated but it is what it is! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371169486.915833.jpg

19. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Got the car on the ground today to measure evenly for the body mounts and to figure out how much we need to z te frame... No worry the un hamb friendly wheels aren't staying on it just tossed it in there for cutting purposes ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371248793.071267.jpg

20. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Been workin hard on it lots an lots of sanding a little over half way done ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371324833.066276.jpg

21. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Gona have to say pretty sic. I'm liking it. Took ur advice on my 53 and ponied up for the gambinos in the front to drop it 2.5". For now that and 3" drops in the bk will have to work.

22. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Thanx man its gettin there... lost a ton of fans due to some actual custom work haha but i keep posting because i know there are a few out there who appreciate some good custom work none the less. glad u bought those ull be happy u spent the extra its worth it!

23. leadfoot85

leadfoot85

Lookin' real good man! I love the style of your build and us HAMB rebels have to stick together. It may not be "traditional", but its cool and its a hot rod! Isn't that what its all about?

Keep up the good work!

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

HAMB rebels? Is that what you guys are shoving your 22s in our faces?

25. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Thanx leadfoot its gettin there like stated above i know a ton of the "every car has to look the same group" dont care for what im doin anymore now that its further along but i get messages from tons of people all the time routing on "our" style. Im not shoving 22s in anyones face im not forcing anyone to look at my stuff ad as it states above, that wheel, which im not using, is only there for cutting purpose for tubbing it for a 15" steelie with a big ass tire haha

26. NRDave

NRDave
    from Deltona,fl

Your car is amazing.

27. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Thanx nrdave... I figured they would have banned u from the site since u had 22s on ur biscayne lol

28. christopher 78

christopher 78

I think it looks rad with the wheels!! Good job!

29. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanks alot, not the wheels its gonna be resting on just tossed that in there to see how much needs to be cut back

30. 54rat210

54rat210

Looks sick with those wheels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.