Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod and Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19-c, May 31, 2013.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammm we think alike.:)

2. I quit all the car mags because of this. Get Street Scene and American Rifleman. Can't imagine they can't see the drop in subs and stop the stupid mailings.

3. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

all ads in these ragazines ,,,

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

That'll learn 'em. :rolleyes:

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Subscribed to R&C & SR for 2 years, Got 2 copies of each for 1 year, they never could get it straightened out?????

6. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

i like beer too...........need more beer money

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Print media of all kinds is a dying industry.

Ago

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

9. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I get R&C and Hot Rod for $5 a year for each one. That's less than 42 cents an issue. I get all the issues on time, never a problem. There are some killer deals on magazines out there. I do get the "renew now, before it's too late"! mail, I just pitch it, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I know when my subscriptions run out, it's printed on the mailing label, it's easy to see you don't even need to open the junk mail from wherever.

10. I subscribe to several car mags it's hard to tell one from the other with there "new format" I am not going to renew any of them . I will take the money and renew my alliance membership.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it still Hoffman Group magazine?

12. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The disks are great for doggie fetch. Took Hitler days to shread it!

13. Fleetside

Fleetside

The minute I got that stupid DVD in the mail saying pay for it or send back it was over. I don't care if they offer me a 10 year subscpition for a nickel..Nope, were done.

14. Raunchy

Raunchy

It is a series and if you pay for one they will start sending them every month. Look at the bill again in small print if you look close it says you are under no obligation to pay for it. It's the small print!! Some slick con man shitty marketing

15. Fleetside

Fleetside

Well maybe I didn't read the small print because I was pissed and thought it was shitty after I had been a subsciber for many years. I just sent it back and washed my hands of them. Don't bug people for stuff they don't want, just put out a magazine people want to read.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's me. It makes me sad. I still remember the joy that I felt when I came home and found R&C or Hotrod in the mail box. I used to drive 25 miles to a great news stand and spend 20 1970 bucks on hotrodding magazines.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

responding to your last sentence---NO. They have maybe two car features and gobs of so-called tech articles that are thinly masked ads. When this subscription runs out (Grandson's school project) I'm done.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If you are going to renew subscriptions you can't beat the deals at either a NSRA or Goodguys event. I extended Street Rodder and R&C for three years each for $45.00 total,they arrive like clockwork and I have never had a problem. I was told they can make deals and the advertisers pay more. Works for me.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My copy USUALLY arrives on time and I miss it when it doesn't. Sure, there's only a couple car features in an issue I care about, but that's better than nothing. The tech is usually on something I'm not concerned with, but I just like learning new things. The ads? Well, they have to pay the rent and make money, It's a company. I think it's good that a company can make money.

I also write emails and I've gotten responses from them. It may not change anything, but at least I'm getting my point across to the people that count.

I get Hot Rod, but mainly because the 2 year subscription was dirt cheap and I got a funky hat. Sometimes, it's good to get off the internet and READ a magazine about cars. Even if it's not cars I'm interested in.

All in all, I'd hate to wake up and there are no magazines due to the internet. Now THAT would suck.

Shit canning a subscription because they sent a DVD seems like over reacting. Maybe the kid down the street, just trying to get into cars, would like to see it. Sharing.... it's a good thing.:)

20. Well said.
    Sometimes I think a lot of the clowns on here just look for new ways to say stupid things and bitch about something that doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Watch the DVD, Don't watch the DVD, sent it back, keep it, read the magazine, don't read the magazine ~ who cares?

21. Muttley

Muttley

Epic first post.

22. chevy3755

chevy3755

i agree with hotrodden

23. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Seems like they all do the flood of junk mail thing. I used to subscribe to R & C as well as another magazine. I got FLOODED with so many renewal notifications that I lost track of the actual expiration of my subscriptions! I would have appreciated ONE notification a month or so before the scripts ended, but the flood just had me ignore all of them. So now, I have NO subscriptions! And unfortunantly, the worst one for doing this is the NRA. I firmly believe in their cause, but I couldn't deal with the CONSTANT junk mail, notifications, and even phone calls wanting money! :mad:

24. I still subscribe to R&C, but I wish they would use the peel off address labels....those permanent labels ruin some very Kool cover photos. So, I've gone and bought the newsstand issues on some neat ones!

Murph:cool:

25. Best comment in this silly thread about a non issue

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Most companies that make money, assuming the folks who put out R&C are making money, have a team of people who's only job is to figure out a way to make even more money. I'll bet for every, "OMG! Why am I getting this DVD? I'm gonna cancel my subscription!", there are a hundred people who were glad to get the DVD.

Some of these posts sound like guys are scared to check their mail.:rolleyes:

27. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Some time ago my subscription to R & C ran out, didn't renew. One day I got an offer for $10.00 for a year with 2 yrs. free. Why not. They get a better price printing a certant amount so they pass it along, besides it looks better to the advertisers to say they have X amount of paid subscriptions.

28. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Sorry, that was Street Rodder not R & C. I don't have a bad memory, I'm just getting old.

29. DrJ

DrJ

Rod & Costom was the first magazine I ever subscribed to. I think it was $2.50 maybe a year back in '62.
    It's now the only one I still subscribe to because SR and HR weren't printing anything I cared to read.
    I was just looking at the pictures and putting it down in 3 minutes so why bother.
    R&C still has good Editorial content about the stuff I'm interested in and R F's Editorials are always a good must read too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  30. I renewed my Street Rodder and Rod & Custom subscriptions at GoodGuys Nashville. Cheap and I got a free T shirt. Something to wear when I change oil or power wash.

Both magazines are lacking in a lot of ways. But I almost always find something I enjoy and at $.50 an issue I don't feel ripped off.

When I am done with the magazines I drop them off at the VA clinic. Always gone by my next appointment.