Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painters, Need Help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Jun 1, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

On my 40, its flat black, probably out of a spray can.... who knows.... its got little pits, to me no big deal....fenders are glass, and are glossy

Here is my question.... a couple buddys keep wanting me to paint my car all the same. I want to paint it flat blue instead of black.....

They say, they are gonna go up and get a case of spray cans and do it..LoL :eek:

I don't want to have to strip this if I ever paint it.... SO, If I paint my car with spray cans ( I am laughin my a$$ off while I type this) What type should I use, a pinstripper told me I cant go wrong with laquer.... Geez should I even post this?

Tell me painter guru's

2. F&J

F&J

I would have said forget it...until I saw what TomT did to his 32 Ford a couple years ago. Flat blue spray cans. I just saw it again, after it was driven a couple years, on the thread about the "32 or "Deuces run to blowing hole". It's in there, the thread was bumped up with the fact that it was Deuce Roadsters run before he passed away recently.

Anyways, the paint still looked good. PM him for tips on how he got it to lay on without dry spots

3. ronk16

ronk16

That's going to a lot of spray cans. Go to TCP Global and look at the Kustom flats. They have plenty of colors and the blue you are looking for. I painted my T-Bird moonlight metallic flat black (my profile pic). Easy single stage paint very durable and way easy to do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 2manydoors

2manydoors
    from indiana

You will spend about the same amount in spray cans as you would a budjet automotive paint (gallon).I would drive as is and save until you can do it right.

5. Will it work with spray cans you ask? sure, for some time. But I would be more concerned with down the road when you decide to put real paint on the car. It would all need to be stripped off. What a mess that would create.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That where I am at.... But I am gonna look that guy up this week on the roadster run..... I have a friend who painted at Jesse James shop, he is getting ready to move to FLA from Kent.... Hell of a Painter but take forever in a day.... I may talk to him, see if I can get one more outta him before he hits the waves in Fla...

and that's kinda what I was sayin in my opening post.... I don't wanna create work later.... I have always been told laquer is a safe bet....

7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

[​IMG]

F&J.....If this is the car, the is about the color I am lookin for

8. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

look at KIRKER Paint .I hear its good for the price but its automotive paint not spray bomb.

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

10. Your in Kent, Oh...I know there are automotive paint jobbers in that area. All of te major paint companies have a economy paint line..PPG = Omni or Shopline , DuPont = Nason, BASF = Limpco...all of these products will work for folks like us applications. Many times they are older technology products re branded...what was high end 3 years ago you can get today at a lower price. Most backyard painter aren't concerned about cycle time, and getting on to the next job. Most of the time we are doing completes, so we don't need a perfect match to the rest of the car..all things the higher end products in their lines do better than the Economy lines. If you want a non metallic quick and easy flat paint have them add a flatner to an eurathane single stage...make sure it's stirred well, spray away. The price will be right, you will be supporting your local economy, get to talk to a knowledgable person about the products your purchasing. Good Luck

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What 'tiki said. You'll spend all the same time to prep it, then more time rattling cans to color it. I'm soon to be 56 and have had a spray gun in my hands since I was 14, and that's not including learning primers and how to tear down, clean, reassemble the gun years prior to that. One of the biggest rationalities in all of this, there's only "X" number of solids and solvents in existence to formulate paint. Most of it is marketing. Avoid "mail order" paints, ESPECIALLY since you're close to actual jobbers. Last advice, even rattle can lacquer will lift when it gets "soaked" by the solvents involved in doing it right. Good luck. There's a lot of help right here on the board.

12. That blue looks like or close to the PPG epoxy primer-DP-XX. It's almost the same color as 3M blue masking tape.
    RB

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I know... We have API, NAPA (who has gotten real expensive) a couple in AKron.... But I have been lookin at Summits Paint kit.... Really I don't have much surface area. Not like an old caddy or even a shoebox...

14. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

If it's already flat black and probably out of a spray bomb, who care's?

Do it.

When you get a real paintjob it's all going to be taken off anyway.

15. diamond dave

diamond dave

get ahold of me mike. i'm back in the area.

16. oddcraig

oddcraig

I don't think it would be any more toxic than spray cans surely. I would think if you spend some money on a really good respirator (which you will need either way) it may help prevent your asthma coming on

17. jcs64

jcs64

id second Kirker paints