Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boozoo, May 30, 2013.

1. boozoo

boozoo

Hey y'all,

been quiet for a while.... in the middle of moving from Indy to Greensboro, NC and trying to get a house bought down here.

And of course my '27 is giving me a few issues.... any of y'all down here have some reccomendations for local speed shops? I don't need anything earth shattering yet; just some new ss ties for the header wraps, a new baby moon cap to replace the one that flew off into the wild blue yonder on the way to work...

and then start gathering pieces for some changeover work I want to do it.

Thanks in advance!

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much around here in the way of hot rod speed shops, that I am aware of. You can get the SS hose clamps at Cross Hose and Fittings on South Elm-Euqene. Baby moons are going to be hard to find locally, I think.

Good luck!

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Welcome to North Carolina.

The internet is my friend and all my needs come via a postwoman who drives from the passenger seat.

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome to NC!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Welcome!! I'm in Huntersville so not too far from G-Boro.

6. boozoo

boozoo

Thanks Y'all! I knew leaving Indy and all that race-oriented industry would be a little tough, but so far it's been worth it!

7. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

Welcome to North Carolina!
    You say they know something about racing in Indy?:D
    I'm in Greenville, btw.

8. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Welcome, just down the road in Cornelius. Very knowledgeable hot rod shop in Denver/Maiden, called Hot Rod Expess. Kevin is awesome. Next door is Hot Rods by George, hands down an awesome fabricator. Good luck!

9. Yes, Kevin is very knowledgabe...good to deal with. Welcome to the Tar Heel state.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if you're looking for someone to do fabrication/ mechanical work, check out Larry Shoaf in Clemmons. His shop is right around the corner from Childress Racing Museum. I think it's called Rod Crafters. The man is an awesome chopper and fabricator.

11. George (hotrods by George) is a great fabricator and very knowledgable, check him out., he's good people.

Also if you need any exhaust work or a regular mechanic/NC inspection station, check out Tim at OldSchool Automotive he's a really good friend of mine, very into classic cars, lowriders to hotrods he"s had em all.

and Welcome, from SC

12. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Welcome from a former NC guy who sleeps in SC now..
    Good scene around the Charlotte area..
    Check out the show coming up in July I think.. It's a trad rad show.. Tom
    http://www.heavyrebel.net/Home.html

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

welcome from Mount Airy. if you get settled in quicly enough there's huge cruise in this saturday in pilot (it happend monthly until October). good place to get your feet wet.

14. Welcome from a former Greensboro resident....now in Greenville NC. Still have family in the area.

As far as shops, if you need work done, contact Rich @ retroridesbyrich in Archdale (20 minutes south of GSO down 85). Just don't tell him I sent you ...he'll charge you double! :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Welcome from Raleigh, there are a few shops around here.

16. kasultana

kasultana

Welcome to NC if you get down towards Mooresville stop in and see us at Man Made Legends. Lots of great folks here who love their rides.

17. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Boozoo,

NC is f'n beautiful, just a piece of advice...STAY AWAY from those CrossMembers...especially that Brett4Christ fella....bad news. Bunch of trouble makers!

Lol!

18. kenny peace

kenny peace

weclome cruizin every thursday in high point on main street

19. ssrs71

ssrs71

Welcome to N.C. I'm in Rocky Mount, About an hour east of Raleigh. No shops here. Oh yea that Brett4Christ fella, he's Bad news, If you hang around him long enough he will get you into some bad collecting habits.

20. HEY!!! I don't have to take this lying down!!!!

(I think I'll stand up now....)

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Brett gets charged double; anyone who knows him gets a "Sympathy Discount" :D

22. Not you, too!??!?!

Why don't we just start a "Bash B4C" thread and leave this poor guy alone!

Sorry Boozoo....... :D

23. boozoo

boozoo

Ha no problemo!

Thanks for all the great info, too..... I was just wondering what I was going to do tomorrow. Looks I still don't know "what" but I know "where"....

24. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Welcome from Durham NC. In Raleigh NC there's a shop called hotrodoroma. Not to much when you go east from where your at.

25. Welcome from Winston Salem

26. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Welcome to the state. Greensboro has got a lot more goin on than most cities. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. On CL there's a set of baby moons up for sell. You just got to wait and dig. CL around here can be slow. But you'd be surprised at what eventually turns up. Good luck. Had I'd known this was bash brett day I would have prepared better, lol.

27. boozoo

boozoo

Hey y'all.... got another quick question.. I'm finally getting settled in. Got a house just across the line in Rockingham County, finally got my driver's license in the mail.

How much pain am I in for when I try to get plates for the 'glass 27? At the moment, it's just how I bought it with no wipers and no exhaust (on a stock 472 Caddy, it's not deafining or any worse than a Harley). I was reading that they have to photo and check it out and could class it any number of ways.... is there any office in the area that's more laid back and friendly about hot rods? I live within striking distance of Reidsville and Madison, but I also work close on the west side of GSO.

It's probably no big deal, but man I still remember the six months of hell my dad went through in Texas when he built his '28 Sport Coupe.

28. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Welcome from Mebane, NC. I just moved here from CT.
    I really haven't looked for any speed shops just a good auto parts store that will entertain my parts need for my crazy projects.
    As for the rest UPS and FED EX get stuff here really fast.
    I also own a 27 Ford Roadster but have not gotten an NC reg for it yet. I have spent some time on the NCDOT website and it seems that the only thing I will need is a $25.00 hand crank windshield wiper from Speedway to make them happy. The car has no hood and no fenders. They are very reasonable compared to CT.
    I am about 30 miles from you so if I can help you out let me know.

Pete