Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which wax does everyone prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Americanmusclecar, May 31, 2013.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you're traditional, you have to use Simoniz in the yellow can.

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I recently started using the 2.0 on my shoebox and I was impressed with how well it cleans up a rough 30yr old lacquer paint job.

I should really take a Saturday and power-polish that heap then she'll really shine.

3. slammed

slammed

PLEDGE furniture spay wax. Yes it does. For shiny paint WIZARDS Sealant last's 4-6 months instead of 4-6 WEEKS like the wax. Prep surface CLEAN, put on sealant (overnight) wipe down-done. In-between use that Mist-n-Shine.

4. lorodz

lorodz

Wizards is probably the best .but when I can't get that bealeave it or not. Turttle wax has this new line of wax its called black wax ...works extremely good.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. cryobug

cryobug

6. dtracy

dtracy

I haven't found anything really good since GM quit selling the Blue Coral kits at their dealerships.

Dave.

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

Not really a wax but I've had great luck wiping down our 56 with Adam's detailer spray.

Keeps a wax like finish really well.

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

3M is the way to go! silicone is for boob jobs not for your car unless you want fish eyes in your paint and primer. keep silicone products out the garage its the devil!

9. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

What's wax???? Sex Wax for my board.....surfs up dude..

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. For my hands, female ear wax, for cars i don't know I don't wax primer.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'll tell you one thing that works great is the Eagle spray wax that you spray on a wet car and then wipe it off. I also like the Adams spray detailer that smells like bubble gum.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud had a '33 Tudor that the P.O. geezer painted with a brush, Nitro Cellulose black lacquer. We started waxing it twice every week after school, Wed. and Friday afternoons...
    2 months of Vista wax and the brush marks were gone, vanished! The Tudor shone like a mirror. Guys downtown would point, ('course, the car was standin' on its nose with big & little WWWs, black wheels & baldies...)

Now we use Meguire's.

13. tedster

tedster

Yeah buddy.

14. cavman

cavman

I've been a fan of Meguiars since it was sold in a 1/2 gal tin can. Worked well for me, and most everything I wax is black. Mist-n-shine keeps 'em looking good.

15. harley rider

harley rider

I like to use lucas slick mist. it works great on flat paint.and shiny paint too.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used Megulars until a buddy of mine became a rep for Adams Products. Now I only use Adams.

17. Matt your freindly 3M Rep thanks you!

18. First let me say Meguiars products is all that I use and is all we used at the museum. With that said do you 3M guys know this?

NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

ST. PAUL, Minn., Sep 08, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- 3M announced today it has entered into an agreement to acquire Meguiar's Inc., the 100-year-old family business that manufactures the leading Meguiar's brand of car care products for cleaning and protecting automotive surfaces. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Meguiar's brings its renowned products and proud history--from its beginnings providing Mirror Glaze polishes and waxes for professional use to today's top-of-the-line products for everyone dedicated to maintaining a brilliant finish on their vehicles--to 3M's range of automotive aftermarket products. Meguiar's products include waxes, polishes, cleaners, conditioners and protectants for the automotive and marine markets.

"The addition of Meguiar's builds on our professional offering for the automotive industry and brings the expertise of Barry Meguiar in the growing enthusiast market for car care products," said Ian Hardgrove, vice president, 3M Automotive Aftermarket Division. "Together, Meguiar's and 3M will collaborate to deliver even more innovative high performance products for enthusiasts around the world."

Car enthusiasts know Meguiar's not only for its products but also for its presence at thousands of car shows across the country featuring every type of collector car from hot rods and muscle cars to exotic sports cars to vintage classics. Through Meguiar's internationally syndicated, multimedia broadcasting network, people with a passion for cars can experience major automotive events and the latest collector car hobby news.

"Combining with 3M will greatly enhance our ability to serve and support Car Crazy people on a global basis," said Barry Meguiar, president and CEO, Meguiar's Inc. "We are excited about the opportunity to grow our business by joining forces with one of the world's great global companies--working together to increase our support of the car hobby worldwide."

3M's Automotive Aftermarket Division provides a comprehensive line of 3M products for auto body repair professionals and auto enthusiasts. Products include abrasives and accessories, performance cleaning products, waxes, masking tapes, panel bonding adhesives, general adhesives coatings and sealers, paint finishing polishes and compounds, and paint application systems. Complementary acquisitions such as this support 3M's growth strategy to strengthen its core businesses and expand into adjacent markets.
    Meguiar's is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and employs approximately 115 people. The transaction is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.
    Sawaya Segalas & Co., LLC acted as exclusive financial advisor to Meguiar's Inc.

About Meguiar's Inc.
    For over 100 years, Meguiar's Inc. has been providing Car Crazy people with specialized state-of-the-art formulations for making the appearance of cars "show car perfect." Chosen by 20 out of 24 "Best of Class" winners at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Meguiar's provides highly specialized products for every automotive surface, including paint, wheels, tires, and interiors. As part of its passionate support for the car hobby, Meguiar's sponsors more than 11,000 car shows globally and produces Meguiar's Car Crazy Television and Radio that represent car enthusiasts worldwide.

About 3M
    A recognized leader in research and development, 3M produces thousands of innovative products for dozens of diverse markets. 3M's core strength is applying its more than 40 distinct technology platforms -- often in combination -- to a wide array of customer needs. With $24 billion in sales, 3M employs 79,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 60 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com.

Here are a few points to take away from this announcement...

- Barry Meguiar will continue to lead the company with his PASSION and the legacy of Meguiar’s will continue with even more support for the car hobby & car enthusiast.

- We take our responsibility to the industry very seriously and want to assure you that 3M enthusiastically shares our passion and commitment to innovation, quality and service.

- Our plan moving forward is to continue to support you as we have in the past by providing the same high quality products and service you’ve come to expect.

- Together, Meguiar’s and 3M will deliver a more complete product offering to auto enthusiast, car detailing and professional markets.

- We are excited about our future and look forward to continuing to serve you.

[​IMG]

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Training and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    [email protected]

19. Umm yep..I have been a 3M rep in the Automotive Aftermarket Division working in the Collision Industry for over 13 years. We own them, but they are still their own company. 3M has been the dominant player in the Collision Industry since there was such a thing..Meguires has been the same in the Auto enthusiast market..it was a great fit.

20. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Gives you a rash at times......

Attached Files:

21. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

THE WAX SHOP

I draw a blank

22. boldventure

boldventure

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  23. chopt31

chopt31

what is best to use for black paint that has fine fine scratches, the kind from hand washing,

24. 31 5w

31 5w

I use liquid glass esp on black:cool:. This been on my black truck since new in '99 . Still looks great even w/ Fl. sun.

25. jmpowie

jmpowie

I was in the store the other day and they had a new turtle wax that you dont need to wash the car first. It said just put the stuff on the paint dry and wipe it off with a rag. Wash and wax in one step with no water.
    The stuff must scratch the hell out of the paint.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meguires is hard to beat, easy to get, has been consistent within the industry/hobby for decades. Some of their products will make you invent new cuss words. The old #7 comes to mind, and it took a while to learn how to do it easy. I've used #3 as my rubbing compound of choice for over 20yrs now. Yes, I said as a RUBBING COMPOUND. It takes more sanding to do this, and takes some serious surface development (blocking to some) to pull it off, but no grits to scratch that finish that took so many hrs to get to. I have used Wizards, and I gotta say it's also a tough one to beat. Getting it is hit n miss, and the price for some of it (depending on the seller) is up there sometimes. I've tried the uber-priced Zymol too. Nice, but seems like a Meguires knock off. In the end, the best wax in the world can't make up for poor surface quality. What House of Kolor calls "DOI", or distictness of image, starts at the metal. Just sayin...

27. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I'm old school. The cheap-o can of Turtle Wax (cleaner/wax) sure cleaned up the '62 Impala's decade old oxidation. Left a nice low sheen on the old paint. You can see the difference in this photo.

I also like Mothers products.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

Attached Files:

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm tired of trying all the new ones that come out every year and send hawkers out to every car show and swap meet to harass you.
    So I stick with the stuff I've found to work well from about 10 to 20 years ago. Meguires for all compounds and polishes. Their wax is OK, though I've heard the new NXT stuff is great, but I like to stick to the 35$ can Zymol (Creme?) or P21 S Concours. Both are relatively easy to use and last a long time. Spray wax or anything too easy to use usually doesn't last. Paste wax will last longer, as it has much more solids (wax) in it, as opposed to liquid (mostly solvent).
    Old school guys used to use Butcher's wax ( used on bowling alleys) as well as SImonize and Blue Coral.

29. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

my buddy bought some wizards swirl remover type stuff at motorama,, and it worked great,,,, black car too