Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod and Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19-c, May 31, 2013.

1. 19-c

19-c

So I got tired of buying Rod and Custom off the news stand. I paid for a subscription. Big Mistake. I get at least 3-4 pieces of mail from them weekly wanting me to extend my subscription after one month. They aslo sent me some damn video I didn't ask for and if I don't send it back they will charge me. What's up with this. Anyone else had this video sent to them with threats of charging you for it if you don't send it back? Looks like I just signed up for a job is what I did. Now I know why people pay $7 an issue at the store....... so they don't have your name and address.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I stopped buying magazines altogether...more $$$ for beer...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. birdman42

birdman42

At least you get yours.I only get every other issue.I don't know if the mail man ia stealing them or what.

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

19-c, not sure if it the same thing but after taking out a subscription to one of the mags I received a DVD showing, from memory, metal working? I simply threw it away after a few months, never got a bill. I HIGHLY doubt they would have strong ground to demand payment for something you didn't ask for. Maybe hang on to it and tell them they can pick it up from you if they want it. I switched to a digital subscription and the mail stopped.

5. 19-c

19-c

Good point wex. Yes you are correct its on metal working. I will leave it on the front step for them to come pick up haha

6. mitch_04

mitch_04
    from Platte, SD

I had the same problem with a fitness magazine. The same company makes 3 different magazines I subscribe to and I received sooo much junk mail. I threatened to cancel the subscription if I receieved another piece, they stopped sending it. Ended up canceling one of them a few months later just because of the loss of quality articles.

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Don't sweat it. You under no obligation to pay for something you didn't order. If they could force you to pay for it you could send anybody, anything you want and make them pay for it.

8. upspirate

upspirate

I received the same video from Hot Rod Mag (which I didn't subscribe to)....I watched it and received a few more notices to pay or send back, but nothing ever came of it and it's still in my cabinet.

You are under no obligation to pay for unsolicited stuff that comes in the mail

I like R&C , but they have become so thin,I wonder of it's worth buying anymore

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Throw the video in the trash & ignore the other mail by tossing it in the recycling or burn pile. They did this to me about 5 years ago, it sounds like they are still doing it. Also, buy your subscription on ePay and you can get a pretty good deal.

Chris

10. 19-c

19-c

I suppose if they scare 10% into paying for the video thats just icing on the cake. I feel like there is absolutely no regulation or enforcement of mail fraud and such anymore.

11. upspirate

upspirate

I miss the old AOL free disks....I used the pkg as mailers and storage for my other stuff!!!

12. Hot Rod sent me a DVD a year or so ago. Never asked for it, never sent it back, never paid for it, never heard anything about it. As said before they can't make you pay if you didn't ask for it. I also get the annoying subscription renewal mail. I don't even open it, right into the circular file.....

13. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I don't buy magazines anymore either, that's what the HAMB is for. F%$k magazines!

14. Careful on reupping a subscription. I got an offer to extend Car Craft and the idjits started a new subscription so now I get two every month. Been a cluster fuck trying to straighten it out.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting all of those mailers is just part of having any magazine subscription anymore and it isn't worth getting pissy over. I've never got a dvd in the mail from the asked for not so that isn't an issue. I just wish the damned thing would show up before it lands at the grocery store's magazine rack.

16. Send it back with one of their pre-paid envelopes.....
    However attach it to a brick or something so they get charged 10x the postage!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. williebill

williebill

I hate subs,but not a single store in my town still sells R&C.. I haven't seen one in about a year..asked the clerks why,and got a blank stare...and this is a national chain book store,too.
    Seems like a lot of sub issues are by 3rd party thieves now,maybe not the publisher of the mag.

18. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i wish theyd just send me a damn sticker once in a while, the doors on the beer fridge looks mighty empty

19. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

It's just a upgrade of the old(my age is showing) record clubs and the "album of the month" if you didn't send the little card back prior to some date. Sometimes the album arrived concurrently or B4 the little card. I had a upper shelf in the closet full of those. If they scared a few poor souls into sending their money for the albums they made out, if not it's a write off.Your not liable for anything un-requested in writing.
    I received a DVD from Hotrod a few years ago, either pay for it or put it in a enclosed envelope and send it back. They even sent a follow up with another "send it back" envelope, guess they eventually tired of the process and never received anymore "offers."

20. My buddy got one of those DVD's sent to him. He watched it then scratched then shit out of it and bent it. He then sent it back in the prepaid envelop. They never said anything to him about it and never paid for it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. This has been covered before by me. Keep the dvd. Don't worry about it. They will do nothing. There's nothing they can do. You did make one mistake though........you should have gotten Hot Rod. They invented hot rodding, didn't you know?

22. 19-c

19-c

I could use the DVD as a coaster I guess? haha

23. Black Primer

Black Primer

I've started reading my junk mail while on the crapper. Just as productive, and considerably cheaper.

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

I get R&C, Hot Rod, when they give me a cheap renewal card, I then let it run out tell another cheap renewal comes in the mail. They will send out renewals at the highest rate, just wait for awhile a cheaper offer will be coming.
    I prefer to use them, then them using me, no cheaper rate and I can go without the magazine.
    The junk mail from them goes into the recycler, it doesn't bother me at all. The funny thing is it was December still, I had all my issues up to March of the next year.
    Anything they send to you is a free item, they can play all the games they want, still can't make you pay for it.

Just go with the flow guys :D

CRUISER :cool:

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Throw away the pieces of mail and the DVD. Unless you like it. Problem solved. NEXT!

26. M.Edell

M.Edell

Still have the Dvd in my garage unopened for like a year now, never sent it back...not my problem, they can come get it if they want it back..

27. No shit! It's all just a bunch of garbage ads, for generic street rod bullshit, or porky flarp-a-betties.

28. kennb

kennb

I got the same bullshit with guns and ammo magazine. They send me crap for every magazine that they're affiliated with. I'm positive that I didn't get every issue I was entitled to. I have to grab the mail because if my wife gets hold of it she just pays them. She just thinks she's doing a nice thing for me. Ken

29. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

[​IMG] I don't even want to know

30. Fenders

Fenders

Correct.
    Keep the DVD, view it, enjoy it. It's a gift to you.
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise