Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shout out to the ramaining small speed shops.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikiwagon13, May 31, 2013.

1. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I just want to give a shout out to the small speed shops, at least those that remain. I admit that I am guilty of using the big chain auto parts stores, they are located close to me. That being said, I had enough today, I called to see if they had a valve cover gasket for my 383. Well, first off, don't let me disturb you, also I would prefer a cork/rubber gasket, I just like them better and I find they seal better. Well, after being told that the new ones seal better and yes, I can get you a cork/rubber gasket from another store, no, I don't know when it will get here, maybe today, I'm not sure, call back and check later.............

I called a small speed shop here, they are a bit of a drive for me, yup, have one in stock, yeah the good cork/rubber ones, oh yeah, it's cheaper than any of the ones quoted from the big store. An extra couple bucks in gas, but from now on they will get first crack for my business.

2. Second that shout out .... :D

Jim

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

Every so often I'll hit up Hawaii Racing out in Simi Valley, DMP Fasteners in Chatsworth, Orme Brothers in Northridge and Truckman Parts out in Fullerton when I'm out there for work. I also use Truck & Car Shop out in Orange a lot, too. They have damn near everything for my truck.

I'm also guilty of using Summit and Speedway a lot.

4. cayager

cayager

things have sure changed. there used to be a few speed shops around here. now you need a small gasket you have to order from summit or jegs, and wait a week to get it. used to be fun to go down and window shop, pick up a few things and go home and put them on. really a shame.

5. trollst

trollst

There are fewer small shops cause we as a community do not support them enough. Imagine yourself being passionate enough to take the risk of startup and having all the local guys around you order from the big guys to have it delivered........and you eventually starving to death. It seems its the way of the modern world, I am a traditionalist, I order nothing online, if I can't see it or hold it, it don't get bought, if you're true to being old school, then support these small guys, they are us, we are them.

6. semaj4712

semaj4712

The nice thing about SoCal like fsae0607 was talking about, is that there are still a lot of speed shops out here compared to other places around the country where the closest shop may be an hour or twos drive

7. Bell & Gaines in Modesto, California... still going strong!

Sam

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

I still miss P.A.W.! :(

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

There is, or was a small one in Toldeo called " Jerrys Speed Shop" nice little store, knowledgable people. Just far enough away from Scummit...

he had a little consignment area, kinda like HRP did in the Cleveland area into the late 70's and early 80's

HRP in this case stood for Hot Rod Emporium

10. I was at Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena just Wednesday. Regardless of what others may claim, this is the oldest continuous operating Speed Shop in the world - since 1946!
    Still a great place to get your parts and machine work done.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I ain't drivin' to Canada to get my parts...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. 296ardun

296ardun

Second this, used to work there...noticed though that they close on Saturday's, hope that business is not dropping off

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I miss Blair's, and Joe Reath's and Quincy Automotive. (Didn't live down there long enough! But the traffic drove me away...)

Really miss the original Goodies Speed Shop in San Jose. (And Jungle, Sneaky, Jim Rose, and 'Shake-N-Bake'. And Melvin George!)

Speed Incorporated in San Jose, too. Sid Waterman was one of the partners, we used to 'hi-side' him...Nice guy.

Sid went back down South and saddled up with Ed Pink...

14. Phil said that things have been a bit slow lately, but they are hanging in there.

15. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

BOB'S SPEED SHOP, Mobile, Alabama since 1965 and still kicking!!! Bob still there 6 days a week!!!

16. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

J & M, in Riverside.