Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have you guys done for an actual e-brake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, May 30, 2013.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Need to do something on the 56 f100. I could use the stock one there is nothing wrong with it at all.

I was just hoping to maybe go for something that looks a little cleaner and less clumsy.

If there is a thread for this please redirect me....

2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I use a e-brick! Got it from my chimney when the bricklayer was redoing it!
    Jay

3. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

[​IMG] Just an option.

4. Cardot60

Cardot60
    from Illinois

I believe I seen some universal ones on Summit. Might have been made by Lokar, but that sounds like a lot of work. Chrome is shiny. Maybe you could get the stock one chromed?

5. G'day, Ford block on a chain makes a good parking brake. Little heavy to get back into the trunk though.

6. If it aint broke.........

7. In my 56 PU i used a foot brake out of a T bird It was a clean and easy install.
    Good luck.

8. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

I pulled an e brake handle from a fox body mustang and got the cables from napa. It is black plastic but hey it will be tucked between the seats, and for $50 for all the parts it fit my budget.

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would just use the stock E brake.
    In addition to that you can plumb in a lever lock somewhere below the dash. This ties into the brake system and locks all 4 wheels.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock, from original, or donor, or Lokar. Have yet to see a hydraulic lock that did not leak down, and they are not legal, in most places. Not safe, and not worth the risk.

11. Ya mean like this 1 ?
    Been using it for over 10 year and has never failed me yet.
    Only problem is finding "Brick Fluid" for it

Attached Files:

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is it. I don't have a custom one like that though! Lolololol
    Jay

13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Sure is something on this sight that you ask a perfectly good question about a problem that you need advice on & you have to go through a half dozen useless posts. Those guys should spend there time playing Angry Birds or something.

14. Got up on the wrong side of the bed, did ya?
    Lighten up.
    Noticed you didn't have any positive input either.

15. Ditto :D

16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Oh I didn't know the serious police were monitoring this site. Lighten up and check your vagina at the door.

X3

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i know it is a ford but look at a 64-9 chevelle it bolts through the fire wall and mounts right next to the kick pannel every thing is built in. if you want to go through the floor look at a sunbird

18. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Thanks, I was hoping someone would have pictures of some hidden ones or something neat for ideas though!

The chock blocks work great! EXCEPT if you lose brakes driving down the road!

19. That's when ya bail out.
    Yehaaaaaaaa !

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Take one off a foreign car that has the handle between seats. If you look close at the factory handles they pull the 2 cables from a center triangle. That equalizes the pull on the the 2 rear cables. That would pull equally on the the rear cables to balance them. If you look at some of the aftermarket handles they use set screws and a block that can't equalize the separate cable pull. And the junk yard stuff is cheaper and better engineered. Like most OEM parts.

Ago

21. dano1930

dano1930

22. I used an self contained foot opeated unit just like ^. Mine came from an 88 suburban. Do yourseld a favor and snag the cable from the donor as well. I was kind of not looking forward to the project but it actually was cake. My trucks a 51 chev, but i would bet it would work for your f1.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's what I'm going to use.

Except I'm just going to extend the handle through the floor so it swings to the ground and put a hunk of rubber on the end. Parking and E-brake!

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Can't get much simpler than that.

Ago

25. Keep

Keep

VW's have a very simple design. Pretty compact and easy to hide, I used one in my T. Let me see if I can track down some pics.

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Do you have any extra's? Cost of shipping to Indy? Can I be your USA rep in case someone asks "aboot" them?:D

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You might want to ask at the streetrod sites. Locar? cleaner, less clumsy? I'm sure they have some billet aluminum ones but I can't help you find one.

You would not like mine... a big chrome stick from the 30s with an early after market clamp on lever for the release button on top so you don't have to bend over so far to release the brake. Oh yeah it has a marbelized knob that was popular in the 30s. Not very streetroddy at all.