Register now to get rid of these ads!

ceramic sealer or water glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rqzild, May 30, 2013.

1. rqzild

rqzild
    from phx

ok, been fighting a small combustion leak for quite some time. I have an old 40's flathead. I've replaced the head gaskets and inspected the heads and cylinders and valves completely. I am unable to find any visible cracks. all cylinders have between 135-145lb of compression. and a leak down test yielded no results. when the vehicle is running after the stats open I get tiny bubbles the size of pinheads about 2-3 seconds apart. ive decided the best solution for me at this time is to try one of these block sealers. its a cast block with aluminum heads which moroso's ceramic sealer specifies works on both materials. but ive also heard good things about the waterglass just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either product (ceramic or water glass)or can advise me one way or another. not looking for a block sealing lecture as I know its not the best idea but in my current situation a tear down and magnaflux is not an option. thanks

2. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Had good results using water glass in a GM Quad 4 with a bad head gasket. It was still OK when I traded the car in nearly a year later. I have heard a product called Steel Seal is also good but never have used it.

3. GM tablets work good. We used to put two in every car on he line.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Any info on the water glass? I read years [many] ago that it worked great for sealing casting surface pores but no reference to cracks/gaskets..

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Water glass ]sodium silicate] is what is in the KW ,Moroso's, and several other brands,read the lable. Water glass used to be readily available from drug stores, now just easier to buy one of the off the shelf ones. OP have you put a combustion leak checker on it? If you haven't do it to comfirm it is a combusion leak making the bubbles. If that's negtive you may be sucking some air around theWP seals, not totaly unheard of on older type WPs.

Seb: that was the standard fix for cracks etc. back in the day. Actually works pretty good ,I had a badly cracked 8BA and a dose of KW block seal every couple of months kept it on he road for the best part of a year untill I got a new engie built.

6. deucemac

deucemac

Water glass is also known as Egg Keep and can be bought by the quart at most drug stores. I've used it for years and works quite well. It's called Egg Keep because it is used to seal egg shells that may be porous.

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

John remembers too--