Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to hook up amp gauge. HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Archie31, May 30, 2013.

1. Hello fellow HAMBers need some help on hooking up an Amp gauge. I am running 6volt with a generator. It is a 31 ford Av8. Can any one give me any tech support?

2. Charging wire from the generator to one side of the gauge, and then the other side goes to the battery side of the electrical system.

3. This help?

Attached Files:

4. Perhaps purchasing a general repair manual might be a worthwhile investment.......

5. So would the charging wire would be the ground post on the generator? Generator has 3 post. Arm, Field, and Ground.

6. I would think it would be the (-) since the (+) is your ground.

7. jazz1

jazz1

Make sure the car is in neutral.. I tried to hook an amp gauge up years ago and the car started up with me under it,,,had to chase car down the driveway,,never bothered to attempt to install the gauge after that..

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Amp gauge needs to go between all loads and the battery except the starter. They are meant to how much charge is coming or going to the battery. Not how much the generator is putting out.

9. So could I hook up the Ammeter positive (+) to the fuse box since that's where all the power is going to and the wire feeding power is on the Battery post on volt regulator. And negative (-) to the starter solenoid where battery cable is connected?

10. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

If I'm reading your description correctly Archie, the answer is no. All power from the generator or alternator must pass through the ammeter for it to work correctly.

11. Fenders

Fenders

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

13. Thanks for all your help HAMBers!!!

14. Bump. How did it go?