Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

Easter is correct on that Trevis sprint car on e-bay. Ralph run that car for Bill Thomas in the 1963-64 season. it was sold to Glen Groves in Clarksburg, West Virginia and driven by Gene Tallman, Gary mcCauley and Paul Reed. I went out to Groves place and looked at the car in the 70's as it was for sale. He wanted $4000 for it and when i got there someone had stolen the injection system. Don't know where it went from Groves. I did not buy it. $22,000 seems a little high but this style Trevis car is very rare to find.

2. baldtireman

baldtireman

At thar much dough,I would have Mr Trevis build me a new one....:D

3. easter

easter

The first sprint car I ever saw was a Trevis Craft. Larry Dickson was driving the Long Brothers orange and white #55 in Parkersburg and Marietta. I thought it was a very unusual looking racecar: long, slender - like a Greyhound. I was used to the home made square boxes and old coupes. Then Bob Howell brought a Trevis to Parkersburg. And then, a couple more showed up. Uh oh. I started liking those long slender cars. They were becoming the norm and the home made cars were being replaced. Dad and I went to Eldora to a USAC sprint car race ('65 or '66). I suddenly felt old and out dated - I was about 9 or 10. Then Mac Clingan brought a Alfater car to Athens that looked as tall as him. In just a couple years I went from coupes and boxes to IMCA at Tampa. I love all sprint cars, but to this day those early to mid '60's Trevis cars make me shake all over. I didn't mind the cages, but don't like the wings. I long for the days of upholstery snapped over the sides, left fronts up on the straights, and exhaust pipes past the rear axle.

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Amen brother

5. bcook

bcook

hope this does it for you Easter!!

Attached Files:

6. easter

easter

I'm gettin' long and slender just looking at it!

7. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

I agree with Easter. Those first Trevis cars were different. First of all you didn't see many 4 bar torsion cars running back then. It was all spring front ends. Plus, the first Trevis cars had that long nose. That was to cover up the radiator that was located in front of the front axle. That was very unusual. And one thing that I still can't understand about those cars....they ooked so long. You would guess the wheelbase was 90-92 inches just to look at them. But the 2 I had built like that had short wheelbases on them. Closer to 85-86 inches. I guess the body work just made them look "big".

8. ..well it really does it for me.....more photos please....:)

9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

This is the way Ben Cooks car looked in 67 when he was 16 years old.

Attached Files:

10. Model Man

Model Man
    from Georgia

These were cars and men that will never be again. We made replicas of vintage sprint, dirt champ, and midgets and met some of our heros in the process. It was a honor sending them (or their widows) royalty checks.

These are two Ralph Steel prints...sorry for poor quality. Got a lot of Ken Coles, Dick Wallen, and Dave Freidman pics too. What a great history!

Attached Files:

11. BJ Racer

BJ Racer

Hi I need a bit of help to try and identify a Sprint/Dirt Track Car I have just acquired. This is a real long shot as I only have one photo of the car before it came out to NZ. The photo mainly shows the engine which was removed along with the rusted body, the remains were sent out to New Zealand and restored.
    I picked the car up minus engine, it had a OHV Model A fitted out here as well. The chassis originally came from Mr Clyde Collins wrecking yard in Mound Mount Carson City Nevada about 25 years ago.
    I would really appreciate any help in finding this cars identity.

Cheers Bruce

Attached Files:

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Might be a few relatives and oldtimers around who could help you out.

Clement Wheel

<!-- BizdirlibTop320x50 --><IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" id=google_ads_iframe_/1027280/BizdirlibTop320x50_0 height=50 marginHeight=0 src='javascript:window["contents"]' frameBorder=0 width=320 allowTransparency name=google_ads_iframe_/1027280/BizdirlibTop320x50_0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
    <FIELDSET><LEGEND>Company Information</LEGEND>
    </FIELDSET> <FIELDSET itemtype="http://schema.org/postalAddress" itemscope itemprop="address"><LEGEND>Postal Address</LEGEND>
    </FIELDSET> <FIELDSET><LEGEND>Contact Methond</LEGEND>
    • Contact Name : Richard Clement
    • Contact Title : President
    • Contact Gender : male
    • Telephone : 7084589141, (708)458-9141
    </FIELDSET>

13. easter

easter

This is the car I was talking about: Larry Dickson. Dad had (4) pictures hanging above his bar: Paul Reed, Frank Burriss, Himself, and this one.

[​IMG]

14. easter

easter

Look how Long this thing looks:

[​IMG]

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'll see your #55 and raise you a #211 :D:D:D

Attached Files:

• long.jpg
      long.jpg
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
  16. easter

easter

I'll bet that thing had one helluva push!

17. hunter77

hunter77

LARRY MILLER drove for Karl Kinser #22 big block...he won almost every
    race he was in at that time, the four or five years he drove for Karl, they won over 200 races.

18. baldtireman

baldtireman

I remember Paul Reed having biceps like tree stumps.....Jim Fizer,too!:eek:

19. easter

easter

Paul Reed was very nice to me when I was little. Wasn't there a Dave Reed, too? I always thought Jim Fizer was an Indian because he was from "Powhatten Point". Doesn't that sound Indian?

20. jmh

jmh

Thanks for the 55 Dixon pic.. I remember him running a similar/same car at Clinton.. Thanks.. John

21. David J. Kovac

David J. Kovac

Load her up and bring her to GATEWAY MOTORSPORTS PARK on Friday May 31,2013.
    Track time during the day on Friday , travel down the road to watch the USAC midgets at Granite City Friday night.

More track time at GATEWAY with the SILVER CROWN show on Saturday June 1st.

Call WALT at 314-845-6996 or 314-805-9876

Two great days on asphalt.

More information at gatewaymsp.com or call 618-215-8888

See you at the track

22. easter

easter

The story is Larry also drove Bob Howell's new Teal colored Trevis in the Pittsburg area, but under an alias because he was running with URC. Dad raced with Larry, Paul, and Tommy Dickson (brothers) at Parkersburg and Marietta. Paul got hurt pretty bad, Larry went off to the "Bigs", and Tommy went into the military for a little while. I really liked Tommy. He drove a white Trevis #0 (ZERO written through the number). He was one of the smoothest drivers I ever saw. People were saying he was too young to drive a sprint car, but if my memory is right, I think he won the first race he ever drove in (at Marietta I think - his home town). Racer Jim knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. Hopefully, he'll chime in.

23. easter

easter

Here's Tommy Dickson. This was taken from Jimmy's site:

[​IMG]

24. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

Some of the guys Easter's been talking about. There was Paul Reed. Paul drove this #2 to many wins among other cars in the 60's.

Larry Dickson with the Long brothers Trevis car.

And Dave Reed (who was no relation to Paul that I know of) with his #73.

Attached Files:

25. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

Tommy Dickson with the Dickson family owned Trevis. This was the orginial Lou Blaney car. Lou raced it one year and sold it to Dicksons.

By the way, this car is still sitting in the Dickson Rendering pant building today as far as I know.

Attached Files:

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I always chuckle a bit when I see this pic of Tommy Dickson. When I first saw this car at the age of 9, in 1970, I thought it said "ZERO Special" on the hood. Man I loved watching Tommy and Steve Ungar (in Mac Clingan's #18 Alfater) go at it @ Skyline. Thanks again for the memories and the website, WVJimmie. :D

27. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

The other half of the potent Zero team was Gary Hinkle. He was an union electrician but was killed in a cooling tower collapse at a new power house site. He and Tommy are together again. RIP to 2 really nice guys and a credit to the racing world.
    Butch Evans

28. guffey

guffey

ruby roadster 1j.jpg

guffeystuff 012.jpg

new progress photo on the Christianson Ruby roadster at GBI

still looking for information on Rich Clement's 2 man Indy car hot rod from the 50's in Chicago.

29. Is this the 1962 Lloyd Ruby ride for Indy?

30. guffey

guffey

yes If you go to page 992 to about 1000 on this thread you can see photos and the discussion.