Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. WOW Tom,,That photo looks like it was taken back in the 60's. HRP

2. Thats Sweeet. Another fun-raiser???? I'd hang one on the wall

3. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Here, I aged it for ya.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I like these.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

5. Hopefully,now that all the dust has settled Gene can sit back and reflect on the festivities of this past weekend and the long months preceding. HRP

6. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Gene taking a couple days off is good. That way when he comes back rested we can get this ol' Girl showing her stuff. Me and Melvin are ready to go. ;O)

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I hope everyone who has said they're sick of the gasser resurgence takes the time to look through this thread! I can't imagine anyone not being caught up in the gasser fever once they watch the videos, and see all these great cars past and present lined up!
    Thanks to everyone who posted pictures and videos for those of us too far away to enjoy it live!

8. OldColt

OldColt

I got the gasser fever back in elementary school (late. 50's) when I went to the drags with my brother who was old enough to drive. Our little local tracks rarely had an altered or rail show up, so the gassers were king. My favorites were the 40-41 Willys gassers. They looked so cool & so badass at the same time. Most of them were A and B gas big blocks that really tore up the track. That's why I love the Moonlighter so much. I still have the gasser fever & never got over it. Can't wait to see the Moonlighter smoke those rear tires & lift those front tires again. --- Steve ---

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. Well,one thing is for sure,The Moonlighter is a really piece of Gasser history ,,if they can't appreciate that they don't care about tradition. HRP

10. OldColt

OldColt

Did anybody else notice the timeslip from the Moonlighter Scrapbook on the local news video? 8.96 @ 161mph ... on a stock frame, unblown Willys. Holy Moly would have been the words back in that era! The car is supposed to have a 4.86 rear gear, and the tires look about 28" OD to me. That would put that big FE motor well over 9000 rpm in the traps. Simply amazing. --- Steve ---

11. I just got off the phone with Gene and he said he was so excited about Saturday that he couldn't sleep at all that night.

I had went by his shop to pickup and return the extra set of header gaskets but he was out,,Ruth told me where to look and I took care of that.

In our phone conversation Gene told me that he had went by Dennis Glenn's (Anderson Auto Glass) /(Trim Shop) to pick up the original plexiglass and Dennis is going to sew the original passenger seat cover back together that he cut apart to use for the patterns.

Gene will now have the passenger seat cover & the drivers seat cover from the auction that was donated back to Gene.

He is still pretty pumped up today! :) HRP

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  12. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

To all the TRUE Hot Rodders on this project , my hats off to all of you!!! It don't get no better than this!!!! This is TRUE Drag Racing History!!

13. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The newspaper reporters were taking pictures of Gene's scrapbook. He had more than 1 car and that particular time slip was for the Mustang. I asked him about that today. It would have been cool if the Willys had gone that fast.

14. OldColt

OldColt

Thanks for the clarification Frank. We know from earlier in the thread that the Willys had run 150 mph on nitro. I was supposing that Gene was on a really good track & really tipping the can on the old Willys to run 161 mph. 150 mph would still have the big FE spinning 8800+ RPM according to my calculator. Still impressive. --- Steve ---

15. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

I have been watching this thread/history project/re-build from a distance. Cool beyond words. Congratulations!!

16. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The Mustang had a big FE also.

17. I believe it was the injected cammer...??

18. I'm really happy for Gene and crew for the completion of the resurrection of the moonlighter. But is their anyone else that is disappointed that there is no new updates no new pictures of work completed. For me, this has been a very inspiring thread to finish mine. Thank you all ( gene & crew)

19. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Yep......cammer is also an FE. The Willys also ran a Hilborn injected cammer. (I hope it does again one day.)

20. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

very nice---i love this thread

21. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I really like this pic, I bet Gene was reminiscing of the old days.

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I don't know if every one on here followed the auction on the seat cover but the hamb site has got to be the best. I didn't know this was going on but when I found out I had a panic attack trying to figure out how to keep it with the car. Then Elbert bid $200 and said he would let Gene keep it. Then Merlin bid $275 and said Gene could keep it. Then I offered $150 to add on to anybody's bid that would let Gene keep it. Next thing I know HOTRODPRIMER added $150 to that then Lytles Garage, Bad Banana, and Willys41 said that they would add $100 on top of that. That's $600 and Gene gets to keep it, the names will go on the cover and go every where the car goes.Ya'll are the greatest I can relax now.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Checked in this morning and I get to see the latest episode in the Moonlighter saga, The Auction. This is great stuff that you can't make up. Another 'boy,howdy' to all the people involved. Don't know where that came from, just seemed appropriate,Carp

24. Quain,,I have a surprise for you,,Ed (Willys 41) told me he is sending a check for 150 just to help out a little more,so Gene will get a check for $650.00,,how cool is that,,thanks to you all! HRP

25. to the seat cover bidders yet another class act.

26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Quain, are you going to be at the show on June 1st in Anderson? I hope you can make it.

27. I agree with you Ed,,yesterday afternoon I went by Genes and I had to get Ruth to let me in the shop to get the extra set of header gaskets to return there wasn't a single car in the driveway ,not even Genes van.:eek:

There were times in the last few weeks we needed a parking attendant just to manage all the cars & trucks.:D

While I was in the shop I noticed the Willys is in a different bay,,,aimed straight out the driveway. HRP

28. Frank,the Downtown car show is the June 15th.and yeah I hope Quain can make it,,,it's a real laid back deal.

I talked to Gene about it last night and he is really looking forward to it. HRP

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  29. Quain,
    Can't speak for the others, but I'm sure it is the same. I love old hot rods, nostalgia racing and especially WILLYS I live to far away to be one of the lucky ones to help.
    I was lucky enough to stop and meet Gene and Ruth and trust me they are people that you would fall in love with.
    That was my way of helping out. Thanks Danny.... aka Hotrodprimer for doing it.

30. Chipper

Chipper

I am having withdrawal. Mising the Build as it went along. Congratulation Gene on your great restoration. I bet you are sleeping well, with a smile on your face.