Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake relining machine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark, May 27, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark
    from CT

Im sure the old timers on here used these old brake re-lining machines. local guy selling one, I haven't seen it in person, just the pics. Im too young (41) to remember these. Tell me some stories !! guy wants like 100-150. I would hate to see it get scrapped

Attached Files:

2. cool to clean up and have in the shop

3. Motomike43

Motomike43

At Carlisle spring swap meet there were several people selling these. I thought it was weird that I kept seeing them over and over. Must not be that rare... even stranger that now I see a set on the HAMB. didn't bother to see what they were selling for at the swap meet. Not sure if 100-150 is a deal. Would be neat to clean up and have in your garage.
    P.S. Heavy truck shops still use these today.

4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

looks like a cool one, i am also young but own two if them and use them often. not just on brake rivets but anything else that needs riveted that i dont want to hand buck. i actually just used one of mine today to rivet together a 2 piece fan shroud

here is one of mine that looks very similar

[​IMG]

5. swimeasy

swimeasy

6. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I took summer shop classes ,to graduate early, back in the sixties. We worked on the school busses. I got to use those machines plenty. We relined all the brake shoes and ground the shoes to fit the drums. :D

7. Used to be an old-time mechanic in my home town with lots of equipment from the 20s-60s, including a brake lining riveter. Had a set of NOS linings for my '40 in 1980 that I wanted to use, so I asked him if I could use the riveter. Being 19 and eager, I ended up using too much force and cracked the linings when I smashed the rivets to the point I couldn't use them. Lesson learned.

8. F&J

F&J

Mark, I sold my Dads riveter about 20 years ago to a south eastern Ct well known atique car collector. He has passed away, and I wonder if that is the one. I sold it, and also bulk rolls of lining and very rare thin shim stock that goes under the lining for oversized drums...I think I got $25 as I had no room for it all.

9. I used one a lot relining parking brake bands. Looks like it would make a good start for a home made shrinker stretcher.

10. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

A friend of mine has a complete setup but has been after me to help him find drill bits. The only place I found selling them is in the UK. Anybody got a domestic source?

11. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Paid $50 for mine with all the dies and drills plus boxes and boxes of rivets. And they thru in the arcing machine. So far I've used it for everything but brakes.

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have one in my shop but its both machines in one unit. Kinda necessary when you work on early cars. I helped dad replace brake linings on his '14 buick a few years ago. I will need to use it sometime soon to redo brakes on my '22 buick. I'm glad dad or gramps ever got rid of anything.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Arching machine, and the resultant asbestos dust, is probably what killed them;dangerous as asbestosis and lung cancer have been directly linked to them. But, old tools are a nice conversation piece to have around. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. They were outlawed in NY shops in 1976. I still get a chest cat scan every year since I was involved in the brake industry for years. I would just paint it up nice and stand it on display.

Bob

15. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

It fits real nice inside of my beadblast cabinet.

16. Mark

Mark
    from CT

Thanks for the responses and stories. Never thought of using it to make a shrinker / stretcher type of tool. good idea

F+J -- I don't think this is the same one, this is at an old service station type shop in the New Haven area. Unfortunately the younger guy peddling this stuff has seen too many American Picker shows....

17. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

i remebered to get a pic of my other relining machine today

[​IMG]