Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Is that the same guy that used to have a shop in the back of Speed Sport Center in Monrovia ?

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

As my friend Mike Chrisman says , " It's like charging the clowns to come to the circus " !!

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hi Guys

An hour ago I got a knock on the door, It's Rick & he's in the Sedan. He says 'come on take it for a spin'. See, I'd only driven it once around the block when we first got it running.
    He tosses me the keys and we're off ! There is a freeway on-ramp right by my house, So I leg it up the ramp. He's got the carb dialed in now & the thing runs really good, so at the top of the ramp I have to lift so I can slow down to merge with traffic !!
    Sunday evening traffic was light, so I got after it pretty good ( well actually REALLY GOOD! ). It is really quick ! The accelaration really puts you back in the seat. I'm also pretty sure we exceded the preferred maxium California speed limt ! ( the dream wheel says 4,000 rpm = 95 mph . . . just say'in )
    It was right about that moment I remembered why we had so much fun in that car 30 years ago !!!!!!!!!! It's sweet to drive & it HAULS ASS!!!!!

4. Haulin ass is what it is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also to comment on Ricks post about payin $$ to let people see your car so others can make money off of it. I got my back up about this a few years ago and I don't go to anything like that anymore!!

5. Pete,
    Reading this sure puts a huge smile on my face and I can visualise the fun you and Rick had and the smiles on your faces! Its exactly how these cars SHOULD be driven - hard, fast & fun!!!!! I bet it sounded good too!
    Greg

6. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Puttin the "HOT" back into HOTRODIN !! BITCHIN !! Chris

7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jeem-
    It's not often I say this, but YOU are absolutely correct! Pete and I escaped for a few minutes while he was driving the car last night. I'm sure it won't be the last time for either of us to enjoy the Sedan.

Not to be condescending, but I hope some of you that have never had a Hot Rod or ridden in one get a chance to experience it. By "it" I mean a hard running car with no door windows, sound deadener, carpet, door panels etc. Nothing but bare metal.

As Leonard Emanuelson said it in his editorial back then, "Real Rodding Was, and Is, Rough and Raw". If you have a chance, read that editorial in the November, 1982 Hot Rod. It says it all.

philly the greek-
    No. Dave had the shop behind Pasadena Performance near Allen and Colorado.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Really glad to see that you both are enjoying it and sharing your experiences with everyone, last time it was thru magazines people got to share your enthusiasm for
    rodding around, but this time is nearly live because of both of your postings.

Very cool to hear that your both are getting a chance "re-pete" history ;).

9. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great to see you guys are having fun, It makes an old men young.

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks Les.

Just like every other project, it seems like there is always something else to do.

I have been driving around without an inside rear view mirror. I bought a new one but couldn't stand the shine. It just wouldn't look right. I remembered my '34 had an original one in it and thought I would switch them. Now the Sedan has one that looks right. By the way, that's patina(rust) not red oxide on it.

I also got a dip stick and tube and new rubber grommets for the valve covers to replace the rotted ones that are 30+ years old.

Attached Files:

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met Pete and Gray Baskerville when they came to San Antonio years ago to pickup an engine that Jon Barrett built. Nacho and the welder Kenny Burlison were there. I drove the '34 2 dr. in red oxide primer with lime green wheels. My wife was pissed at you when you said my car was finished. Loved it ! Never did get that shitbox painted ! I'll buy 2 t-shirts in 2xl whenever.

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

100% Bitchin!!!! ;-)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Totally agree with you about having to pay for your car to be in a show, makes no sense to me either. Almost every show here in the Buffalo area is like that but they also like to charge spectators too.
    p.s. sounds like you're having a blast wheeling the ol sedan again, good on ya

14. Spork!

Spork!

Man, this is right on! I always say, if it ain't hot, loud and uncomfortable it ain't a real hot rod! :p

My car has side windows but not much else. It ain't no street rod, it's a hot rod! It may not be a Deuce or as nice as some other cars but I always have a grin on my face when I drive it.

Your car had a big influence on me when it hit the magazine and I can't wait to see it in person. I assume you're bringing it to LA Roadsters?

Attached Files:

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Gary-
    I'll be in San Antonio on the 5th of June. I would enjoy seeing your sedan. Maybe we can meet up or maybe there is some sort of cruise or hang out spot that evening.

swade41-
    We definitely are having fun. I'm driving the Sedan about 3 times a week now. I don't even mind going to work.

Spork!
    We will be at the L.A. Roadster show in the swap area. Between Pete, Eric and myself, we will have 4 spots. On Saturday around 11:30-12 we will be providing food and beverage to those wearing E&B shirts. Look forward to meeting you.

The latches pictured are from Billy Payne. After a little acid wash and paint, they will be fine. Thanks Billy!

Rick

Attached Files:

16. Rick I truly love the sedan. It really falls in to the area of Hot Rodding the has long past but is now being reborn.

I some times have a small sign that I display it says the following.

"This is a real Hot Rod"
    It is not a Rat Rod and it is not a Street Rod
    It doesn't have windy wipers and it is most defiantly not a "Show Car"
    I drove it here and I'll drive it home!!
    It doesn't have a heater
    It doesn't have A/C
    It doesn't have sound deadening
    It doesn't have a radio
    It doesn't have side windows
    It does have a Rump Rump SBF
    And it does haul ass!!

17. Spork!

Spork!

Cool! I'll be in the swap area too (best section of the show!). How do I get a T-shirt?

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Dave Lange w/ Fuel Curve West in Upland?
    He does all my carbs. He'll be working on my 2 carbs for my 871 blower soon

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  19. deucemac

deucemac

I taught Auto mechanics for 15 years at he prison here in Tehachapi. when I started my roadster project I made a build diary that I loaded on my computer at work to show my students that the things i was teaching were real world principles that could be used instead of just text book ideas. As I would scan through the various pix some student would ask "where's the stereo?" I would flip to the rear shot I've enclosed and point to the 2 exhaust tips and say"There's my left speaker and my right" some got it and others were hopeless and will remain guests of the state because they just don't get the true picture!

Attached Files:

20. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Steves32-
    Dave does a great job on blower carbs. He set mine up on the 6-71 I was running on the street in my '56 Chevy back in '72. Thinking of that '56 brings back good memories. I worked on that car at my grandmother's house which happened to be next door to Tom Vandenberg who built the roll bar in the car. That was also the car that Pete taught me how to do fiberglass work on. It had a 1 piece tilt front end. I then put that motor in my coupe later on when I was driving it to school at Cal Poly Pomona. Those were the days. 30 cent gas for premium.

deucemac-
    After meeting you at the Hot Rod Magazine show, I never would have guessed you taught auto mechanics in prison. Did that earn you an early release???:D

21. After meeting you at the Hot Rod Magazine show, I never would have guessed you taught auto mechanics in prison. Did that earn you an early release???:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA<!-- / message -->

22. deucemac

deucemac

Rick,

I tried to keep my employment under wraps for years. I told my mother I had an honest job, playing piano in a house of Ill Repute. She could live with that. Actually that was wht turned out to be the most rewarding job I ever had. Knee surgery and restrictions from that let to a medical retirement that came way too soon for me. But there are hundreds or thousands of former inmates that now know what Bonneville, LARS. Oakland/Pomona roadster show, EL Mirage, SEMA and lots of other hot rods happenings are. I would do videos and picture stories of all of them and they loved it. Now I'm just a crazy retired Hot Rodder and loving it!

skyeoffy likes this.
  23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is a photo my son took and sent to Greg Stokes of Hot Rod New Zealand. This is also the article Greg wrote. Thanks Greg!

I must be honest, as a dad I wish Richard could have gotten the photo credit.:(

Attached Files:

24. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Last night I went to a local cruise night in Glendora. There were about 40 cars. There were plenty of good parking spots. The best thing about it was it was a good excuse to drive the Sedan. These are the type of events I will probably try to go to as opposed to a huge event. The best part of these events is you can come and go as you please. Thanks Sheriff John for telling me about it.

25. No problem it slipped my mind to give Richard the photo credit. I can't wait to see the car in person....

26. Rick
    that is what it is all about. Guys now days seem to have forgotten what Hot Rodding is all about. It for sure is not about rolling your 200K car out of the trailer, driving 2 blocks and sitting around telling everyone how bitchen you are!!!

27. I can agree with that. Especially after spending a weekend at the MidAm NSRA event!!!

Any excuse to drive a hot rod is good enough for me!

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Greg- No worries. I'm just a family kind of guy who is thrilled my son still does things with me and for me. Much the same as you and your dad.

Fuzzy- The smaller venues are definitely more fun for me anyway. It is a lot easier to meet and greet that way. I still love looking at other peoples cars and picking up an idea now and then.

Brent- Those NSRA events just seem to be so large that you can't even see all the good stuff that's there.

29. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Twilight cruise at N.H.R.A. museum. Wednesday 4:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m. It's free
    and its fun. Nice cars and a chance to see the N.H.R.A. museum.....Free

30. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Tio Geo-
    I met the guy that puts on the NHRA cruise at the Glendora event. He said he gets about 300 cars. Sounds good to me. I'm out of town this week, but I will be there next month!

I've been emailing Thom Taylor and it looks like I will be doing the photo shoot at the Irwindale strip the Thursday after Father's Day. Anyone available to come or crew???