Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapmeet ripoff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mongo4u2, May 26, 2013.

1. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

This year, it seems, " Promoters" are gouging us for crappy for small overpriced spots . I had to call to find out the price for a spot at lebonan , Tn. this weekend. One day 10' by 10' spot for $55 . This is a fairgrounds, outside , WTF !! Us regular hot rodders , takes us the the evening before, to load to the event, set up , take 1/2 the day to fatten the promoter's wallet to get even. Some swapmeets , like Webster in Florida give you a large spot for $30 , I think $5 for an extra space. We as regular guys have speak out . Overcharging will finish off what ebay and gas prices has done to us.

2. F&J

F&J

How can they sell a 10x10? where do you stash your truck?

Oh, I get it....buy 2 more spaces to park.

3. Drive down to Commerce,Ga, to Brads Swap meet,,20 bucks for all the space you need. HRP

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

5. X2- Brad's got the hottest swap going on!

6. Model T1

Model T1

That's why both Webster and Sumpner Co. swapmeets in central Florida are doing so well. Fair prices and decent spots.

7. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

Amen brother !!!

8. fuzzface

fuzzface

Some times it isn't just the "promoters" doing the gouging. Some counties have been losing money the last few years and one of the things they did was raise the rent on their fairgrounds. Then you have the raising cost of insurance too.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A swap meet promoter that holds a meet and has no one go will soon get the message.

When no one shows up to fill spots things will be different next time.

It's the only power you have.

10. Thanks I am going to check it out
    Moultrie Ga is getting expensive

11. Model T1

Model T1

Both Webster Co and Sumptner Co fairgrounds are within a few miles of each other in central Florida. I'm thinking close to rt 50. Last time we went Webster was more for motorcycles and parts.
    As someone mentioned, a price increase also caused a split but both are doing well. Sumptner Co is growing fast.Both also have car and bike shows at the same time. Cheaper to take a show car and park right inside. Probably spelled it wrong but it's a county fairgrounds and easy to find.

12. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

Sumter autofair , the guy that runs, is real good.

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

Yeah, don't go.

14. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I sell at swap meets and E-Bay. It seems to me some of the e-bay sellers are getting greedy(greedier) with some stupid high prices. So many don't even know what they are selling! I have seen a sharp increase in swap meet space prices too, but it seems to me parts prices at swap meets are lower or at least more realistic. Normal Norman

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

Sell you stuff here with a commensurate HAMB discount. Seriously. Just factor in the cost of the space, the aggravation, the gas money, the uncertainty of the weather, the wasted time, the wise ass low ballers, etc. You could sell things here for substantially less than you would at the stinkin' flea market, make the same profit & we'd all be happy. Don't forget, your market here is world wide. And screw Ebay.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That really sounds steep for a 10x10 outside space. I think I paid 15 for a 10 x 20 at the local swap meet here last year but had to work on that day this year.

I have to go along with Fuzzface said in post 8 though in that many times lately it's the extra cost of rental on the grounds being passed on by the promoter along with all of the other costs that fairgrounds and buildings seem to want to pass on such as "security". The people running the fairgrounds or entity see or think that they see the people putting on the event making money and they want a bigger cut.

17. rust&patina

rust&patina

how much for a spot at hershey & how big is the spot??? also is the $35 per year???

18. rust&patina

rust&patina

thanks for the info on hershey & i agree on what you say...

19. pointer-1

pointer-1

My son and I have done swap meets for 20 years and we just decided to give up. Spaces are getting too costly and the promoters and Fairgrounds are getting more greedy. The low ballers and teeth suckers are just too painful to deal with. If'n your buddy has it cheaper, Cleaner or better why doesn't he sell it to you?
    We always had quality parts and cheap prices if you knew what you were looking at. We weren't trying to get rich just selling off our excess. We will just scrap it all now. Deal with the junk yard I guess.
    Maybe the HAMB is the answer. We'll see.

20. Sell here on the Hamb. Yes, shipping sucks, but then so does loading up a truck overnight and dealing with 10,000 morons offering you pennies on the dollar for your stuff.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

AACA membership costs $35.per year, and that also gives you 6 issues of the Antique Automobile magazine. Hershey spots went up this year to $80.00 for a 20x20 space, good for Tuesday through Saturday . Best swap meet price in the country IMO. Bob :D

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

For some reason eBay sales have just about stopped. I've put many of the same items in the HAMB classified section and they have sold. Take good photos, point out the bad points, box things well and both parties are happy. Bob

23. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

Great amount of comments , we all like to look and buy , use it hold on to it for awhile . Then give it away or sell it. I love buying stuff. That means , I gotta sell . I have been ebaying parts I took off in the 60's , and I only know what it fits. The big stuff usually need to be swapmeet items. Yes Atlanta dragway monthly swap will fill me needs exactly ,thanks for ideas , Dave

24. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I have worked swap meets for years. I do them to help my projects. Sometimes I make money sometimes I don't. But I enjoy the real car people and the friends I have made over the years. There are people I only see once a year at swapmeets, we get to catch up on what we are building or looking for. I have learned over the years the meets to avoid in my region. It's about having fun with cars and enjoying life. Hey take a kid the next time you go and explain parts and pieces to them, were not going to be around forever.

25. F&J

F&J

Geez, I wonder why?:rolleyes:

The pinhead they hired to "fix" ebaby some years ago, had zero experience in this business. They ignored the thousands of sellers writing in to complain about all the changes, but the eggheads are too edjucated to listen to peons.

Too bad, because now many rare things that hambers want, are no longer listed there by angry pickers.

26. Nice !
    10x10 for 55.00 works out to about $30,000 an acre. A day rent.
    You guys could pool your cash and buy a few acers at that rate.
    Plus gate fee
    Plus food concessions

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Skidmarks, There are some vendors who have had their remains scattered over the Hershey Swap Meet grounds. Don't know who thay are, but I always think of them every year. Bob

28. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I drove 40 miles to Gardner,Ks a few months ago. The weather was crappy, I pulled into the fairgrounds about 10 am . Nobody was there ,only 4 vendors were there and they were packing up.

29. Its all relative ... B/J sells a pile of crap for $45K, e-bay sells sham-wows and stainless stell screws for $20.00 each, its all about greed and participating in the greed by going along with it just drives up the prices for others ... its a vicious circle but the ONLY answers are "live with it" ..... or, change hobbies until that one goes sour.

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Go to one here in the spring, end of April..It's mostly a antique engine/tractor show and swap put on by an antique engine club, East Hampton, CT...A few car parts are brought to sell and quite a few car guys stop in to look at all the old engines and stuff [cause they usually tinker with other stuff too] and tools, jacks, karts, engines, you name it, its probably there....BEST thing is they only charge spectator entrance fee to vend...$3.00 [three] !!!!!! So in return the vendor's prices are usually very reasonable...