Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

I bet it would be safe to say Gene signed his name more today than any day in his life.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. sbs

sbs

This was a great day and week for the Cromer family. Mom's 100th birthday, brother's birthday, Gene and Ruth's anniversary and the rebirth of a great Hot Rod! Gene has a great family who support him which makes this even more special. I was at the track and there were a lot of happy and smiling Gene Cromer fans. It doesn't get better than this!

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

Here is a picture of Gene's brother. He was having a great time.

Attached Files:

4. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Great job everyone, truly the best thread here on the HAMB! God Bless all of you!

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

Gene and Ruth. Ruth is a great woman who let her husband go racing and it's obvious she is very proud of him. Gene told me today he is appreciative to Quain and all else who helped make it possible for the Willys to be there finished. He also told me he is looking forward to next week. If you have been following this thread daily you know why.

Attached Files:

6. OldColt

OldColt

Dang, I wish I could have been there. Gene leading those gassers down and back just seems so right. Looks like an awesome and sunny day at Greer today. Do you know who that lady to the right in the pic is? She kinda looks like a Cromer. --- Steve ---

7. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

This is a great day in Drag Racing History! It is an Inspiration to me, and the Truth of what can be accomplished with friends and family even after all the years!! thank you Gene !! & Quain, I would have loved to been there.

8. Gene.. I bet for a few moments you felt like you were thirty again driving up the return lane. I have really enjoyed the ride along on the rebuild. Thanks to everyone involved.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I wonder when the Moonlighter will make a smokey-burnout and a 'wheels-up' launch again???

10. I know I'm about a hour early but Happy Anniversary Mr.& Mrs. Cromer. HRP

[​IMG]

11. OldColt

OldColt

I'm sure Gene didn't spend all that time prepping that engine & modifying those hi riser heads so it would just idle good on a parade lap. He has the heart of an old drag racer, and probably exercised a lot of restraint with that right foot knowing how much horsepower was on tap. I bet it won't be long before the old Moonlighter gal really cuts loose down the track. --- Steve ---

12. I might be wrong but as hectic as things were Friday with last minute parts chasing and Gene working into the wee hours of the morning he never got the opportunity to drive the car.

I was a thrill just to see the car on the track. HRP

13. Wow. I don't know when I've had so much fun. What a great event and Gene, Quain and the rest of the folks involved in putting the Moonlighter back on the track are without a doubt the real deal. I shot over 200 photos and as soon as I can edit and process them I'll put them up in a gallery and post a link on this thread. Meanwhile, here are a few quick and dirty. Thanks loads to Darren who help me access the proceedings, I really appreciate it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thanks for the video, sure is nice to see it under power. I can honestly say that I had never heard of Gene Cromer or the Moonlighter until Quain's build thread. But hell I'm a fan now, I can tell he really hooked some of you when he was battling on the strips back in the day.
    I hope the new inspired resurgence of the Moonlighter and all the other nostalgic gassers hook plenty more. I'll keep checking back to see some strip shakedowns so keep us updated please.

15. all i can say is you guys are a class act. congratulations

16. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

if Gene was a streetrodder instead of a drag racer.....
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Quain with Gene's daughters.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Thanks board made from one of the Moonlighter's original door panels.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Four generations.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Nice crowd at the Moonlighter's pit before the unveiling.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Crowd on the track before Gene's daughters unveiled the Moonlighter.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Quain's nephew had a pretty strong running Anglia and Quain wowed the crowd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

17. This photo of Gene & Quain is priceless. If I were a pastor, I could preach a whole series of sermons from this thread. Let us all be inspired to go a little further for each other.

18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

This one was another local drag car many years ago.

19. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Amen brother!

20. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

21. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Seadog, It was good to finally meet you in person. I always enjoy seeing your photos! Glad you made it down for the show. I love this shot that you posted!!
    Daron

22. Thanks Daron. I really enjoyed the day. I, unfortunately, had to leave soon after the unveiling and missed the rest of the show. See you around.

23. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

In this day and age it's nice to see GOOD things happening to good people. Thanks for the heartwarming thread.

24. Here are a couple more from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still working on editing the rest...will post to SmugMug as I get them done. Go here to see the rest http://smu.gs/16ioafa

25. Today,Sunday 5-26-2013 Ruth & Gene celebrate their 62 Wedding Anniversary.

Congratulations,,,Danny

[​IMG]

26. Just a overall stand out - the story, the car, the motor, Gene and his family.
    This is what it's all about.

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

The weather could not have been better. A clear Carolina blue sky and 70 degree temps.

Attached Files:

28. hr racecar

hr racecar
    from Comer, GA

29. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

No photographer.......coulda' fooled me! They need to change the rules for gassers. If you don't carry the front wheels for the 1st 60 feet you're DQ'd. Who cares how quick or fast they are!

30. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Hr racecar love the pics. did you get the shot of the 40willys and 40 ford at the Greer drag way ?