Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. OldColt

OldColt

. My memory may be wrong here. I think Cotten Owens ran a Hemi Powered Dart wagon named Cotton Picker, and Butch ran a white Anglia also named Cotton Picker. --- Steve ---

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Your right. It was during the NASCAR Hemi ban that Owens went match racing.

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com

3. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

congrats Gene! the whole story gives me goosebumps!

4. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Its awesome to see their reactions in that video watching the Willys finally come to life! I can't wait to get my shirt too!

5. You are correct, it was driven by David Pearson. Later on the car was sold to George Weiler, Bud Faubel's mechanic. The car was originally a mid engine creation and was later converted to a more conventional set up and bracket raced. It still exists and is supposed to be restored.

6. OldColt

OldColt

Getting a few things at Walmart in Nashville, Tn. & wishing the heck I was at Greer Dragway instead right now. Wonder if Gene made a slow maiden run to give the fans a good long look, or stood on it a bit. Guess we will know in a little while. --- Steve ---

7. I know your pain, I'm at my daughter dance class right now. We gotta wait till one of guys posts pics/videos.

8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar

As a young kid, I seen a movie with a Willys and dreamed of owning one since. What a find! I'm 46 now and still looking for that Great barn find. Good luck with the resto!

9. Any updates from today? Please!!!

10. OldColt

OldColt

It feels like waiting for word of the Apollo 11 Moon touchdown back in 1969 for me. --- Steve ---

11. Ha ha ha, perfect analogy, my only solice is to go work on my own, and plan for the day to be racing with these guys and others.

12. Quain & Gene, just so ya know, those of us who could not attend this coolest of races, are all sitting around like expectant fathers shooting the breeze in the waiting room too hear about it all. :)

13. I thought I did this before... been so long ago :)...... I'm sure Gene is in his glory and good for him

14. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

15. frank spittle

frank spittle

The moment everyone was waiting on.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

My camera isn't the best but here's a couple. In the last photo I think Gene was sizing up the competition.;)

17. frank spittle

frank spittle

Seconds before Gene drove it (carefully) down a drag strip in over 30 years.

Attached Files:

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

If you have been looking at this thread you know there were a lot of hands on the restoration. This is some of those that were there.

Attached Files:

19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Glad to see Quain got the recognition he deserved ! Also glad I got to help(very little} Chris

20. Wow, this makes it even more painful not being there. What a cool deal for everyone, and a nice line up of Gassers!

21. dirt42

dirt42

Wow and wow looking even more proud now that it's sitting at home at the local drag strip. Excellent.....

22. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for the pics. Not as good as being there,but it'll have to do!! I say again, great job to any and all that had a hand in this resurrection. Can't wait to get back home and put on my Moonlighter shirt. Bravo,Carp

23. billyndelores@bellsouth.n

[email protected]
    from Anderson

The first time I saw Gene and the Moonlighter I was a teenager and forty years later to see him going down Greer Drag Strip with not just one car behind him but a group of Gassers following behind him was more exciting than awaiting a once and a life time comet, today was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad that my Grandkids got to see this with me. When the Golf cart was pulling Gene to the track one of of my Grandkids said Papa this means Gene is a legend doesen't it and I said Gene has always been a legend in his own right. We can't thank Quain and all the others for helping Gene to achomplish this feat today. This was a Hall of Fame momment for sure.

24. jfrolka

jfrolka

When is Gene gonna take it down the track under full power?

25. Chipper

Chipper

All I can say is WOW

I am going to miss the daily following of the Reserection of Gene Cromers "Moonlighter"

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great pictures Frank! I see 15 Gassers in your picture, totally Cool !

The Moonlighter looks awesome!

27. The car looks great!! I sure wish I could have been there to see it all happen in person!!!

28. AndersonAutoGlass

AndersonAutoGlass

Here's a vid of Gene driving down the return road.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ua9zzJvPsdU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man, the car looks and sounds awesome! Great video!

30. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

I was very cool to talk to Gene today... seeing him with his Wife, Family & Friends made me think of how Blessed God has been to him! The car un-veiling was Great! Beautiful Job to everyone that helped!