Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flipping one spring in the pack to get lower??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, May 24, 2013.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Hey all, I was reading a post yesterday regarding lowering a 64 F100 and a post was put up about flipping over just on spring (to the top and with the arch up) and clamping all back together. OP said it lowered the front about 2-3". However I just can't see how it would. Can anyone explain this to me. I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks
    Rob68

PS here are some pics from the OPs post

Attached Files:

2. syl zammit

syl zammit

hi rob,can you please give me some more info on the spring lowering eg reversing 1 spring
    syl

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

You're going to get some drop because the reversed leaf is no longer pushing the truck upward, but is actually forcing it down.

I just removed a couple of the shorter leafs on my Chev (along with a dropped axle) to get additional drop. Besides dropping the ride height it also softens the ride as well.

4. 'Mo

'Mo

I can see how that would flatten the spring pack out (de-arch), thus lowering the truck.

Last edited: May 24, 2013

5. Rob68

Rob68

6. Rob68

Rob68

Hey, I sure don't know enough to be of any help, but here is a link to the original post.
    Rob68

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280413&page=2

By the way, welcome to the HAMB

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  7. Notice the spring eyes on the main leaf .... reversing them, in itself, will lower the vehicle

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you reverse random leaves, you are defeating the progressive purpose of the spring.

This is purely a physical statement, so don't flag and remove this post because of supposed 'political' overtones...Even conservative linkage can be progressive.
    (reverse that...it depends on when the others kick in...)

9. Praise the lowered .... opps !, not meant to be a religous statement.

10. 63comet

63comet

The lowered knows, you must be conservative with your drop while maintaining a progressive spring rate. Being too liberal with changes may lead to all manner of left leaning driving as reported in the dropped F100 thread. Next thing you know you'll have an aborted project on your hands.

11. Rob68

Rob68

Yeah, knew about that, just trying to get as informed as possible for when the time comes to get mine sitting just right. Every bit of info helps. Thanks
    Rob68

12. I do it all the time. Works great for me.

13. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

I'd love to see pics of the process,this is interesting!

14. This is how I do it,
    What I do when taking leaf springs apart is use 2 "C" clamps to hold the springs together, 1 on each side of the center bolt. After I remove the center bolt, I replace it with a long piece of all thread, about 12" long, 2 flat washers, and 2 nuts. If you have access to a welder, weld 1 nut to the all thread to make it a bolt, or double nut it. Once the all thread is in place, and tightened down, remove the 2 "C" clamps. Now you can start loosening the nut on the all thread until the tension is gone and the spring leafs are loose. You can remove the all thread now. Once you figure out how you want to stack your springs, you can use the all thread to put them back together. When the springs are tight, put the 2 "C" clamps back in place, remove the all thread, and put the center bolt back in. The last set I did was on an off topic truck. I flipped the main leaf, used two other leafs, plus the overload spring, and the truck went down 5". Just restack the leafs as they where stock, but with the main leaf flipped.