Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Don't give him any ideas! lol

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]100% on that

3. banditomerc

banditomerc

ur commitment to seeing this project thru is impressive.Go Steve!!

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I kinda like the Duesey idea lol! Pics coming right up...

5. Looks great Steve can't wait to see the latest pics!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok some of these pics might not be in the right order but you will get the idea non the less of what I have been up to...

When I tried to lift the body a while back it caused some damage to the drivers b pillar...the Ford spotwelds broke ,not my welds lol , so I reworked the b pillars top to bottom so theu are solid now, the before pic was a crappy phone pic and I cant find it right at the moment so the after pics will have to do

Pass side after repairs

[​IMG]

drivers after primer

[​IMG]

My exotic engine ready for its "krylon" r/b

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and afterdegreasing, wire brushing , and several scrubbings with phosphoric acid ..

[​IMG]

the new photobucket not only sucks it locks up now too!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

some cheap black epoxy primer...

[​IMG]

then some rattle can engine enamel, hopefully it will look ok for a while..

[​IMG]

even my airbreather needs to be patched and mudded up!

[​IMG]

rear bumper bracket , rad support and trans crossmember blasted and primed..

[​IMG]

spindles and center link ass blasted, new tie rods will have to wait till some funds become available...

[​IMG]

I dragged home a frre g body front frame that had been rebuilt but never used last fall, and after lots of hacking and cutting I was able to remove the 4 new ball joints without damaging them, and got them all installed in my blasted and painted control arms...

[​IMG]

the great sub frame massacre !

[​IMG]

It also provided new stabalizer links and new rotors but the calipers were seized from sitting...check out the rot on this thing!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. koolkemp

koolkemp

started on the inner fenders..

[​IMG]

got some paint on more stuff...I used an older 605 box cause the s10 had the different stlye fittings from my pump and it sat with no lines before i got the truck so I wasnt sure if the box was any good, had to swap pitman arms...(that was fun )

[​IMG]

one blasted one to go...

[​IMG]

did both sides too

[​IMG]

she was pissed I wouldnt give her the keys lol

[​IMG]

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

got the front end put back together, the only stuff I will have to buy are calipers ,shocks and tie rods

[​IMG]

I will try again later to upload more ,fucking photobucket :mad:

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad back, bum knees, no money, freezing ass weather . . . it don't matter! This is the Rusty Resurrection! Like a Canadian mailman plowing through ten feet of snow, he will by god deliver the mail! Go, Steve!

11. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Thanks for the inspiration Steve!

12. fitzee

fitzee

lots of work done there. great job steve

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Good stuff Steve...

I always like to see rust removed.
    Man, you sure have used a pile of phosphoric acid! It's almost impossible to find any around here now.
    You got it all! ;)
    So, I've started to dip those A parts I got in molasses and water.
    It's slow but easy. Sort of like me. ;)

I expect to be cruising by your area a couple of times this summer.
    If you are around I'll drop in and see the progress.

14. oldman2

oldman2

Nice update with lots of work done, nice job...Jim

15. Russ V.

Russ V.

Great Big WOW on all your work. Nice goin':)

Russ V.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Steve, man that was some serious crustage on that motor! Looks pretty good now though. Thanks for the updates, I always look forward to seeing how you take a piece of crap and convert it into something functional. Your ingenuity and perseverance is amazing! Eli

17. This really has been an amazing transformation.

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks eh! Obviously you have never met a canadian mailman :rolleyes:

Thanks! Its nice to give back some of the inspiration I have gotten from the HAMB!

Thanks FitzeeI cant wait to start putting it back together again....soon I hope!

Thanks Joe! I am down to my last jug or 2 of the concrete cleaner I got on a reduced rack at walmart about 5 yrs ago :( I do want to try the molasses though where did you end up getting yours? Is it powdered or liquid?

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Russ, I see you are back at the shoebox!

Thanks Eli ! Sometimes I think I am crazy.....well maybe most of the time :eek:

Thanks James ,appreciate it!

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I used some plain old Crosby's molasses that you'd have in your kitchen.
    Buying it retail isn't cheap.
    If you look around you may be able to find some that they sell for bear bait (or so I'm told). Not food grade stuff. That's what I got.
    If you have a source for powdered stuff used for cattle feed please let me know. It's supposed to be lots cheaper.
    I've even used "light" table molasses and it worked so don't let people tell you it won't.

Remember... it's a slow process. Slow as.. well... slow as molasses! 2 weeks seems to be the magic time in our climate. Warmer temps work better.

Anywho.... Love your progress. Making me envious.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

ok lets try this again...

I just had to smooth out the welding scars...not make them straight just smooth them out some, they will be satin black ...

[​IMG]

Second last coat of primer and I knocked the air breather on the shop floor :mad: worst part is I said to myself, your gonna knock that fucker over about 5 mins before I did lol! Couple of small dings to fix, its all set up with the cut down base for the q jet and I had to cut it to clear the hei , but it actually covers the ugly thing quite well! Finished up a bit of welding and got the column primed as well as the inner fenders..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

I spent a few hours cleaning up and reprimed the lower edge of the body all the way around so I could get the body off the frame...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we have lift off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got the front bumper brackets finished up so I can blast em....they aint pretty but hey plymouth bumpers,ford body and gm chassis causes weird things :p at least they are stong..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the last pic from my 5 day weekend, cold and wet yet again. I am gonna try and do a bit of blasting this weekend but surprise its supposed to rain till at least sunday, I may just stick the motor and trans in the chassis,one less thing to trip over...3 motor/trans combos in the shop is too much!

[​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

I will pop over to the feed store here in town and see if they carry anything?? If I can find some then I will build some kind of tankI want to start soaking some of the 36 Ford junk,err rust, I mean parts that I have. By all means let me know if you can when you might be in the area so I can be here!

23. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Nice to see the chassis rolling!

Junk??? One man's junk is another man's project car!

Yes, feed stores are the best place. Good luck.
    I'm not sure of the mixture ratio with powdered molasses. Maybe someone will chime in but I'll do some digging.

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

really looking good, glad to see you are making a lot of progress

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Vinegar works pretty well also. When I was working on my '51 Ford F1 I used lots of it. Bought the big jugs at Costco, various plastic containers for soaking parts and let it rip. You just gotta neutralize with baking soda. Works like a champ.

26. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yes, vinegar does indeed work well but it eats everything. Molasses only attacks the rust, not the good metal.
    Vinegar worked so well eating steel that it was used years ago to lighten steel parts on drag cars and such instead of using fiberglass replacements. If you don't get it totally out it of the cracks and crevices it will continue to eat and come back to haunt you.

Molasses doesn't require neutralization. Just DON'T dip aluminum or magnesium in it! Also, watch for cast pieces. They can get damaged if there were a lot of impurities in the cast.

Steve, sorry about taking this off topic. If you start dipping stuff maybe we could start a new thread. I guess there are a few on rust removal this way though.

27. Way cool...ditto for the 42nd time about the awesome transformation. What ever happened with the milled art-deco nose piece to top the center grill? Unless I missed it, it looks like you also frenched in an antenna on the passenger fender without mentioning it. Holding out or checking to see how observant we are? :)

Eli's renderings are cool, and I particularly dig the KEMP license plate (although technically it ought to be a NS plate!)...I'm kinda partial to the pearl white version.

Glad your back is not as bad as it has been; I can relate as I have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease in my neck and have had two surgeries so far, with more on the way. Can't lift anything heavier than 12-22 ounce bottles.... ;)

28. bmah

bmah

hey great thread I love this build if no one has asked already or I missed it in the thread have you put this on a disc so all pics can be viewed or maybe email me a zip file with the build? I would love to have this in my dvd collection. Again super build and great thread.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats great progress!
    Thats pretty cool way to lift the body with engine hoist,i think i'll use that method too.I just have to borrow an another one from somewhere..
    Keep it up!