Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Studebaker Champion s10 frame swap or clip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptoprat, Aug 31, 2012.

1. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

I am currently starting to build my 1950 Studebaker Champion and I am looking for advice on what to do for the frame. I am up in the air weather to do a frame swap or to put a clip in it. I have been told that the stude frame is to narrow for a chevy clip like I had first planned. Any ifno would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

no rat rods

the best frame is the one the factory supplied

3. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

This is not a rat rod. I am just trying to find the best way to update the car. I am putting a chevy 350 in the car and the original frame will need to be modified either way. Plus I am wanting disc brakes on front.

4. aircap

aircap

Check over on the forum of the Studebaker Drivers Club, or Racing Studebakers about the Jim Turner disc brake conversion for Studebakers.

And you just believed this guy about the Studebaker frame? Have you crawled under there and looked at it to see if anything is really wrong?

Good luck, but don't let other people do all your thinking for ya.

5. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I have a 50 studebaker with an S-10 frame, it was actually pretty easy. I had to shorten it about 6", but as you can see the wheels fit nice. If I were to do it again I would use the orginal frame and update it, but I've learned a lot in 10+ year since this was done.

Attached Files:

6. kodiak621

kodiak621
    from Reseda

I know this is an older post, just wondering why studebaker matt wishes he would have stayed with the stock frame? What problems where there using the s10 frame?

Thanks,
    Lee

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is one cool bulletnose - would be nice to see how the frame swap was done.

8. Because in most cases a stock frame has all the mounting points there and can have the stock suspension upgraded or new suspension added. Doing swaps and clip opens a whole can of worm that seldom comes out ok. If it does, many times the next guy to look at buying it is suspect from the "fixes" you haD TO DO TO MAKE THE NEW FRAME OR SUBFRAME WORK. Out of all the swaps I have seen here, I would say 10% of the guys and gals can pull it off/

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I tend to agree with you, Tman, but here it does look like he pulled it off with this Stude on an S10 frame.

10. Zeke

Zeke

From the outside at least:D

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Chrisintx, another A-hole undeserving senior member comment!!!