Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fast Street/Strip Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, May 15, 2013.

1. kennb

kennb

Then you have the nopi crowd. I'm on the interstate with a buddy of mine, he's driving his Porsche 911 Turbo. We're just cruising along bullshitting going about 70 mph and a dopey nopi rat jap car pulls up next to us, gives us a look and pulls away. You know he got on the phone right away to tell someone that he just smoked a turbo cerrara. Those guys make me laugh, although there are a few honestly fast ones out there. ken

2. 63comet

63comet

Back when I had my TR6 I was making a long interstate haul one night and came across a guy in a same era drop top 911. We started playing leap frog with each other, neither of us really pushing our cars. At the time I was running dual glass packs and as I could hear the boxer over them I'm assumng he had some form of open exhaust. Nice night, tops down, enjoying the music of the dueling sixes.

Some kid in a rice rocket, I think it was the Lexus sport coupe, passed us.
    The Porsche driver and I locked eyes and both smiled.

I imagine that the driver of the ricer was somewhat unnerved when we flew past him on either side wide open. Definitely succeeded in drowning out his fart can exhaust.

After that neither of us backed off again. I don't think either wanted to give the Jap car a chance to catch up. The sound of those engines screaming up the interstate is firmly stuck in my memory.

A few miles up the road the Porsche and I took seperate exits. It was a short lived but highly memorable gasoline fueled bromantic trist.

3. 63comet

63comet

How many factory cars could get into the tens with a simple gear change? Factory wants them to cruise on the highway at 2000rpm, not leap down a quarter mile at redline.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The key word in your first sentence says it all, CHANGE. I'm positive the factories could build 10 second cars, if they wanted to. But they don't, unless it's a VERY high dollar exotic. As stated previously, I'm impressed with the guys or gals who take a factory car and build it up to go quick or fast.

My T Buckets not the quickest or fastest car in town. It wasn't built to be, yet holds her own most of the time. But getting beat by a guy in a new Vette, who's trying to make his sky high payments, doesn't bother me at all. Usually, they're the ones who start shit. So that says something about what they think about my little $10,000 hot rod.

And if you look at the stats, a LOT of those guys driving exotics have no idea what's going on under the hood. I respect the car, but that's as far as it goes.

Years ago, a writer for Road & Track magazine did a story about his drive from coast to coast in a Lamborghini. Just inside of Nevada, he was challenged by a hopped up Chevelle. He was going to smoke the guy, but didn't. His reasoning was, "What's the point? Only a goofball would think his Chevelle could stay up with a documented 190mph + car. Sometimes, just knowing you could is enough." Once I beat all the ricers and Pep Boys rides in my area, I just started cruising. There's nothing to prove anymore and my insurance isn't worth the tickets for behaving like a 16 year old.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This dates back nearly 30 years, before all of the engine management systems, just a "raw bone", street/strip hotrod. If my memory serves me right, Cole Cutler ran low tens, and as the "wars" heated up, with the competition of Jerry Moreland, Fat Jack, and others, he improved to mid nines. It wasn't just a race car, with a license plate!

Attached Files:

6. I remember Pete & Jakes 10 second "LimeFire" and I thought that those times were insane... and they are for a street ROADSTER!!

Th "Limefire" became the perfect car for my inspiration and I achieved those e.t.'s couple of times... but most of my E.t.s read in the 11's to the low 13's due to the lack of traction... still fast and plenty fun!

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you like roadsters, Google "Gloria Mills Roadster" and watch the u-tube of her racing Brian Dean, her's was a mid-nine second car.

8. Citizen caine

Citizen caine

Just to help put this in prospective.
    A stock 5.0 mustang runs 14.2

13 sec.
    This is pretty easy to achieve with some simple bolt on parts.
    Give it a stiff gear and you'll rip it red light to red light. You'll win some loose some.

12 sec
    You'll win more then you'll loose
    Still very streatable.

11 sec
    Very strong for a true street driven car.
    I had the most fun with my car running 11s.
    Drive it every day & respected at the track.

10 sec.
    At this point your loosing the street part of your car. Parts start to break easy at the track but not on the street. It's kinda like driving on ice. Hang on buddy, it's going to get crazy.
    A 10 sec street car is getting kinda scary. No traction on the street.
    At this point I took mine off the street so nobody got hurt.

This is only my experience with my last stang.
    11s on the street and you will feel unstoppable, until you meet a purpose built drag car.

9. bbbb
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U7CXImi-_Rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would like to see this on the street!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mN4z7hzjWE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I wish I knew what e.t. this runs?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1s068w3tb-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  10. I've never seen this car make a full power pass... live or on youtube!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wNHWxsebfMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Larry T

Larry T

What do these have to do with fast street/strip cars?

Don't get me wrong, I love old race cars as much as anyone here. But blown fuel burning coupes in a street thread?

12. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I love this thread. My coupe did a best of 12.68 @ 109. Just crappy street tires and an open 2.79 rear. Maybe thats not blazing fast but if I went to the street legal drags on a Friday night I would win 90% of the races. Most of those new Camaros and Mustangs aren't that fast without slicks. They are just too heavy to get out of the hole. They would usually trap faster than me but if pedaled the throttle just right I could pull down a 1.9x 60 foot time. That was normally enough to get the win light. Kinda funny but most of the time I lost, it was to AWD cars like STI's and Evo's. I did a fair share of cruising in it. Put 3000 miles on it in about 3 years. Just sold it...
    [​IMG]

13. You're right ... I got carried away... you've got to admit everytime I hear of a street car running in the nines or better... I pull these videos up and watch them running tens... sideways... but tens not nines! fun stuff...

I'll delete everything in every thread that has a glimmer of being off topic... sorry!;)

Maybe not! :eek::)

14. Larry T

Larry T

Don't do it on my account, I love those cars. It's just that it was kinda drifting off topic, and that's MY job. :D

15. Paul Y

Paul Y

12.4 @110 leaving the lights at idle.

http://youtu.be/_cLkzIyKoro

I was quite pleased for a 454 with a 280 cam 830dp, a dne 5 speed and full interior. Drove it 150 miles to the strip, did 9 passes and then drove home. And averaged 18mpg. Pretty sure with a bit of suspension tuning it would have got into the high 11's but gone to a new home now.

Sam, I still love your 55. When my lotto numbers come up it will be on my shopping list.

P

16. Thundersalt

Thundersalt

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

18. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I've always loved Cars that look good and have high performance, and after falling in love with old Cars and getting "smart" I am finally building a conglomeration of the two-if I can hook it up I am hoping that my Car will go in the low 10's-I guess we will see-here's the engine-

[​IMG]

19. SLCK64

SLCK64

:cool: :D shiney!

20. bigvinny

bigvinny

every one has a 10 second car until they go to the drag strip and face the reality of a time slip. If a street car runs low 12s I say its pretty quick.

21. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

409 would turn in the13's right off the show room floor. In 1964 we worked our ass off to get our FH gasser to run in the 13's.

22. SLCK64

SLCK64

409 in what? And low, mids, or high? What was the set up in the gasser?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. http://roadtests.tripod.com/

a bunch of magazine tests - I dont think any old muscle cars were really as fast as everyone seems to think they were

not HAMB friendly but I have a 67 ShelbyGT500 - number matching with a nice amount of headwork/bumped compression/ cam and a few other small tricks- and well I personally think the thing would be lucky to break into the 13s at all....

For some reason on the street- just the sound/look of the car- everyone always thinks its the fastest thing on 4 wheels though ....I just let them think : )

24. Driven to the drag strip each time it's raced....2000 hp 5+ seconds:eek:

Attached Files:

25. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Man, I am hoping I can get my 57 to hit 12s someday, and I'm scared to run it that fast. My old 57 was not quick, but it could git on the highway and 105 mph in that old pig was scaaaaaaarrrrryyyy! Took my 56 Imperial out and had my buddy time it (I know, I know). It was a custom and wouldn't have passed tech, But it was good for around 17-18 seconds, and let me tell you, That feels so fast in a 20 foot land yaht. It was fast on the highway, as well.
    After this thread, I'm thinking about going back to customs in order to save face. :)

26. I would think this steel 1932 Ford 3 window just might be a contender. HRP

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/63A9w8gZcLs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

27. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

^^^^^^^ This guy lives up the road from me. His name is Dennis and I have seen that car do a legitimate 9 seconds flat in the quarter. It is beautiful and he is a really great guy, always helping us with our old junk when we were in high school. Great post HRP. Thanks!

28. that 32 is so cool... love to have something like that!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gotta be getting tired of fixing that rear bumper.:D